SOLD Bel Canto Set 40 Set Tube Amp 35 Watt of glorious 845 single ended power

hum4god

hi

i am selling my Bel Canto Set 40 to raise some funds.

asking price is sold.
paypal adds 3%.

the amp is in great condition , comes with the original box.

the amp was upgraded and serviced about a year ago and the following was perfomed as described by the technician:

The main problem with the amp was that it had a poorly manufactured main power transformer. The transformer would come apart causing a variety of problems. A custom transformer was made to solve this problem as Bel Cantos no longer had any new versions of the transformer. All the resistors were upgraded to better higher value ones and also the resistors controlling the plate voltage. The diodes were fine but were upgraded as it was asked for. ( it appears a lot of people believe that changing these will made a huge improvement in sound..........actually only a small change would be achieved since the diodes are not in the single path ).

The amp was completely recalibrated by my technician. My technician did not replace any capacitors as they all were to spec and didn't need replacing. The main problem with the unit was the main power transformer and that has been taken care of and won't need to be replaced again.

there is a lot of information and reviews about this amp or its brother the seti40 which is the integrated version ,out there .

i will post more information and photos in the next few days.

i might be open for trades .

amp is sold with chinese 845 tubes and 12ax7 from Electro harmonix.

also available is
a quad of Amperex 12ax7 a quad of GE 5751 tubes.

i have an audiogon feedback of 300 .

user guide manual and specs are here:

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/Set40_userguide.pdf

some review links:

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/seti40.htm

http://www.sstage.com/revequip/rise36.htm

http://www.belcantodesign.com/prodrev.php?cat=5

http://members.1012surfnet.at/tube.audio/bel_canto_design.htm
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2009, 07:58 pm by hum4god »

hum4god

here are two quick shots of the amp playing.i will post better photos as soon as i get a chance to move the amp.

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2008, 03:35 pm by hum4god »

hum4god

More Photos

hum4god

hum4god

price drop to 2190$   

hum4god

i would consider partial trades for a red wine sig.30.2 (power amp), clayton amp,  or butler tdb 5150, or the likes.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2008, 03:20 pm by hum4god »

hum4god

black saturday price drop to 2090 $ .

jackman

where are you located?  Near Chicago by chance?  I have wanted one of these for a while but want to hear one in my system before purchasing. 

Thanks,

J

d55124

SET Man

Hey!

OK, another big BUMP for this amp!

Somebody please buy this already! I have a huge fascination with 845 tube. And honestly I used to dream about this amp when it first came out. :D

Love the design. The dark Deco/Machine Age look with those tube rings protector reminded me of the movie "Metropolis" :D

Man! If I had money and room I would buy this beauty myself! :D

Well, good luck with the sale :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

hum4god

Thanks for all the kind words.

yes it is a beautiful machine. but times are rough to sell the big ones.

jackman, i am relatively close .
about 3 h north of chicago in wisconsin dells 53965.

Rocket

Hi,

Bel Canto make good products.  I recently bought a bel canto pre 1 preamp.  It is about 7 years old and it sounds and works great.

Regards

Rod

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Hey!

OK, another big BUMP for this amp!

Somebody please buy this already! I have a huge fascination with 845 tube. And honestly I used to dream about this amp when it first came out. :D

Love the design. The dark Deco/Machine Age look with those tube rings protector reminded me of the movie "Metropolis" :D

Man! If I had money and room I would buy this beauty myself! :D

Well, good luck with the sale :D

Take care,

Ah....come on Buddy ....spring for the amp....you know you want it.  :hyper:

By the way...Malcolm/hum4god is a good person to deal with....I bought the KR Audio amp that he had for sale awhile ago. :thumb:

jackman

If I had passive crossovers, I'd already own this amp (from Malcolm of course).  I'm still waiting for the passive crossovers for my BESL speakers to be completed.  Going to try a passive setup because it will allow me to try different amps (not chained to 4 channel amplification with a passive setup).  Will continue to use the active bass segment but I've already got amps for bass.  Want tubes for the monitors and the amp in this ad is one that I've admired for years.  I hope someone buys it soon because I'm really tempted.

Cheers,

J

studley

hum4god

i didn't get your pm . 

please email me to hum4god at hotmail dot com

thanks

SET Man

Ah....come on Buddy ....spring for the amp....you know you want it.  :hyper:

By the way...Malcolm/hum4god is a good person to deal with....I bought the KR Audio amp that he had for sale awhile ago. :thumb:

Hey!

Chris, you know and you  know that I'm not just saying that. I really would like to have this 845 amp.

There aren't many 845 amps out there so this is a good opportunity for someone who want to have one.

Sadly I just can't spend $2K or anywhere near that right now for an extra amp or anything else for that matter.  :(

Good luck Malcolm. I'm sure you will find a home for this beauty. :D

Take care,

hum4god

thank you all for the support.

hum4god

hum4god

price drop to sold
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2009, 07:59 pm by hum4god »