NEW: Super 6 Alnico speakers feature attractive pricing...

Louis O

News from Omega...

New Super 6 Alnico speakers feature attractive pricing, making Alnico driver’s unsurpassed sonic performance attainable for more music lovers
November 14, 2008

Available now at $1,450 a pair, the new Super 6 Alnico Monitor replaces ferrite-driver SuperHemps as Omega’s preferred mid-price, single-driver loudspeaker.

The Super 6 Alnico XRS (eXtended Room Speaker) is also available at $2,350 a pair.

Earlier this year, when Omega began offering Alnico drivers as optional equipment for SuperHemps & MaxHemps, Louis Chochos, Omega’s founder, knew he had created something very special. Unfortunately, Alnico drivers can be costly to produce compared to their conventional ferrite counterparts, pushing price points for 8-inch Alnicos beyond the reach of many potential customers. 

Now, introduction of the 6-inch Alnico driver opens new doors for Omega: “Historically I’ve relied on 8-inch ferrite SuperHemps as Omega’s lead product in their price range,” says Louis. Now, Super 6 Alnico Monitors can readily be substituted for 8-inch ferrite SuperHemps. Arguably delivering improved sonic performance, coupled with a 25% cost savings.*

When Louis talks about early-release customers using Super 6 Alnico speakers, he can’t help but be excited... “Customers call me saying: ‘You didn’t charge me enough.’ And ‘This speaker far exceeds my expectations!’ ”

Louis adds, “...these are the best sounding speakers per dollar I’ve ever built!”

* Note: Among other benefits, Alnico drivers produce enhanced bass output compared to their ferrite-magnet counterparts, so even the low-end response outperforms what you’d expect from a driver this size.

JDK1

Re: NEW: Super 6 Alnico speakers feature attractive pricing...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2008, 01:24 pm »
Hi Louis:
Congrats on the new products - they sound exciting...Quick question: Is it possible to convert/modify an existing Super3 XRS system (including revising the baffle) to accept the new 6" Alnico driver (up from the 4.5" hemps)? Is the new Super 6 significantly different in dimensions than the old Super 3 XRS that would preclude such a conversion?
Best regards,
jonathan

el dub

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:33 pm »
Thanks for making our sound system come alive, Louis.  :thumb:

We are continually amazed at the musical details uncovered by your 6.5" alnicos.

Studio discs come alive and live recordings start to breath....

lw 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:46 pm »
It has been a real pleasure working with Louis to update the Web message. He is very passionate about his work!

aphid_2008 posted a bunch of pictures of his Super 6 Alnico XRSs here...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1526

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2008, 02:16 am »
Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks and I'm very excited about the new speakers.

The Super 3 XRSs can't be retrofitted, as the cabinets are too small. The internal volume of the both 6s is much larger. The monitor 6 is actually twice the size of the S3XRS. I would put a lot of thought in some kind of trade in system that may work out. I need to figure something out that work.

Hi el dub,

My pleasure and so happy your enjoying the speakers. It's great that you have both versions to compare. I'm glad to hear that you're getting the same synergy as I do with the Dynacos. I'll let you know how I make out with the tube rolling on the 70s and the BBA.

Your last sentence is what it's all about.

Hi Alwayswantmore,

It was great working with you too and many thanks for all your help.
A look like I’m back almost 100% and the fire situation is about finished.

Thanks again,
Louis

Tarun

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2008, 07:04 am »
Louis

So all 4.5" drivers are out?

Reason being that its mentioned "Super 3 XRS now called Super 5 XRS", though you also mention that Compact Hemps and 5" Bipoles are the two legacy speakers that remain in the mix

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2008, 02:41 pm »
Louis

So all 4.5" drivers are out?

Reason being that its mentioned "Super 3 XRS now called Super 5 XRS", though you also mention that Compact Hemps and 5" Bipoles are the two legacy speakers that remain in the mix

The 4.5" driver is in a 5" frame (to support the suspension), so Omega calls it a 5" driver. The same driver is used in the Super 3 XRS (now renamed Super 5 XRS), Super 5 Dipole, and Super 5 (now called the Super 5 Monitor). The driver is Hemp. Hope this helps to clear things up. Kent

Tarun

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:55 am »
The 4.5" driver is in a 5" frame (to support the suspension), so Omega calls it a 5" driver. The same driver is used in the Super 3 XRS (now renamed Super 5 XRS), Super 5 Dipole, and Super 5 (now called the Super 5 Monitor). The driver is Hemp. Hope this helps to clear things up. Kent
Sure does. Looking forward to the website upgrades with latest information

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2008, 09:10 pm »
Sure does. Looking forward to the website upgrades with latest information
The News page is complete (...more or less). Here's the link... http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/news.html

Couple new picts...

New 6-inch Alnico driver...

Super 6 Alnico XRS...

« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 03:25 am by Alwayswantmore »

mattyturner

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2008, 09:38 pm »
I'm a web developer on the west coast and don't mind doing it for you if you just need a few new pages creating with pics and text.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2008, 10:05 pm »
I'm a web developer on the west coast and don't mind doing it for you if you just need a few new pages creating with pics and text.
PM sent.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 03:28 am by Alwayswantmore »