Line conditioner advice

Freo-1

Line conditioner advice
« on: 11 Nov 2008, 02:30 pm »
I'm thinking of obtaining a line conditioner for the rig. Saw this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230306440729&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I'm looking for advice/recommendations on this issue. Thanks!

KS

Re: Line conditioner advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2008, 03:15 pm »
I've used those on ships where the computers required stable power, and the ships' generators weren't always stable.  They work well, but I'm not sure if they're audiophile quality, whatever that is.  I'm certain they aren't audiophile quality...they don't cost enough!

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2008, 05:16 pm »
I've used those on ships where the computers required stable power, and the ships' generators weren't always stable.  They work well, but I'm not sure if they're audiophile quality, whatever that is.  I'm certain they aren't audiophile quality...they don't cost enough!

Good point! Audiophile wire can cost more than reasonably priced equipment.  :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2008, 05:34 pm »
I am not an expert, so don't try this at home.

There are some basic things to address:

A.  Are you having an issue with your sound that you believe is caused by;
         1. Dirty AC
         2. Fluctuating voltages, etc.
         3. Frequent brownouts, etc.
         4. Other
B  Once A. is understood, then you can decide if a product will fix or resolve that problem.  But more importantly, are you after a certain sound as well which may influence your decision to chose, say, for instance a surge unit w/o conditioning, or a conditioner of the passive or active type?

C. We're all going to pass along our own experiences, but until you try a few, you'll never know what happens to your sound or the (if desired) protection of your equipment.

Units I have had/tried (I'll be the first to throw up some brands for you to look at):

APS 1050 conditioner/battery backup  $2500
PS Audio quintet  couple of hundred$ish
PS Audio UPC200  same
Brickwall something surge unit  buck and a halh
Running Springs Audio Haley  $900ish
Audience Adept aR1p wall units  $500ish
Audio Magic Stealth Mini Reference  $1000
various Alan Maher Power Enhancers  $100 to $400ish
Bybee Quantum Chargers  $900

whell

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2008, 05:35 pm »
It probably wouldn't impact the sound any more or less than the Monster or Furman stuff does.  I have one, and have not noticed any impact on sound.  Still, I use it for the lower wattage and digital stuff.  

tanchiro58

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2008, 06:32 pm »
I have used all kinds of line conditioner included the pricier one and do not like any since they degrade your sound more or less. Sometimes your audio equipments or components have already built-in one so you do not need any more filters for protection.

One thing for sure that I built some of the Felix (look for Felix project in this forum) to use with my audio components is the best line conditioner ever.

joc3721

• Departure Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2008, 06:58 pm »
I have had good results with products from Equitech (balanced conditioners) and Blue Circle.  Using both in my system now.  Nothing but improvement, lower noise floor, tighter bass, increased resolution.  Also, no current restriction.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2008, 07:18 pm »
I have used all kinds of line conditioner included the pricier one and do not like any since they degrade your sound more or less. Sometimes your audio equipments or components have already built-in one so you do not need any more filters for protection.

One thing for sure that I built some of the Felix (look for Felix project in this forum) to use with my audio components is the best line conditioner ever.

Thanks. I'll check this out.