4-8" OB woofers with EQ and BSC

Caucasian Blackplate

4-8" OB woofers with EQ and BSC
« on: 11 Nov 2008, 06:24 am »
Hello all,
Thanks for letting me post here!  I have a pair of 48" BG ribbons sitting around that really need to become a set of speakers.  Anyway, I have listened to BG setups and I prefer the dipole arrangement.  I plan to mount them on a baffle with an array of 4 drivers to cover 350hz and below.  Luckily, efficiency isn't super important in this case, 88-90db should be ok.  I have done some modeling in EDGE, and I have discovered an arrangement that will give me a little extra help in the low pass region, and also help to knock out any peaks that may pop up down the frequency spectrum (AL resonance or the like).  I also got a pretty good model for an active BSC filter and an OB bass boost to help me use a smaller baffle.

So at this point, I'm wondering how much driver selection will help me?  I want to keep the baffle somewhat narrow, so that shrinks the available drivers I can consider. With all the active electonics, is high qts. still a must?

TIA for the advice!
-Paul

Angaria

Re: 4-8" OB woofers with EQ and BSC
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2008, 07:38 am »
how much xmax do the woofers have, what's your LF goal, what size is the room?

Caucasian Blackplate

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2008, 10:29 pm »
The room is small, maybe 25x20, and I'd like to get some reasonable response at least at 50hz.  I'm flexible on the drivers to be selected, if I need to just go for Xmax kings to get the displacement, there are some Tang Band drivers that might work ok.

Angaria

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2008, 06:29 pm »
check out the nht surplus drivers... they have some 8" peerless sourced, excellent price.  You'll easily hit 50Hz with this configuration.  If you want exact predictions, get the MJK worksheets.