What music would you play first?

SWG255

« on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:16 am »
Greetings:

OK, imagine your new speakers have just arrived, they're out of their boxes and hooked up to the amplifier(s) and it's time to play the first piece of music through them. What will it be?

I suppose some wags would suggest Ralph, Sam Tellig's dog on the first Stereophile test/demo CD, which has the advantage of allowing one to double-check one's connections and for proper speaker phasing. But, assuming this will be some music, what music?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:16 am »
Why, NathanM's sampler disc, of course!

SWG255

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:19 am »
Rob,

Cool! Maybe I'll have to find a way to get one of Nathan's discs too!

Quote from: Rob Babcock
Why, NathanM's sampler disc, of course!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:21 am »
Give him a PM.  It's definately open your ears.  Some is sublime, some is absurd, but none of it is likely to get covered by Britney. :wink:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:25 am »
Bach's Well Tempered Clavier Book 1 (either Schiff or Jando)
or
Mozart's Piano Concerto #20 (Brendel on Piano, Mackerras conducting)

Start them off with a touch of genius :-)

Nothing does piano as well as the RM40's do, IMO.  Enjoy!

SWG255

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2003, 10:15 pm »
Good suggestions so far. I'm leaning toward the piano, because that was one of the stand-out instruments I heard in the RM40 "shootout" I had and my LM-300s are not a piano-lover's speaker IMHO.

Keep those ideas coming, my RM40s won't be here for another week I think.

Quote from: Tyson
Bach's Well Tempered Clavier Book 1 (either Schiff or Jando)
or
Mozart's Piano Concerto #20 (Brendel on Piano, Mackerras conducting)

Start them off with a touch of genius :-)

Nothing does piano as well as the RM40's do, IMO.  Enjoy!

Ferdi

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:02 am »
Hi, I would not worry so much about the first 10, 30, 50 CD. You probably won't get the best out of your new speakers. Also, I believe you need to tune the RM40, which might make them not their best until this is done.

In order to get maximum enjoyment, I would pick a few discs I would NOT listen to while the breaking in and tuning is done and then put them on.

Just a suggestion of course.

Ferdi

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:08 am »
How about Also Sprach Zarathustra?  Or Fanfare for the Common Man?  Those seem like good "unveiling the new shiny speakers" tracks...

SWG255

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:17 am »
Ferdi,

True enough that the RM40s won't really shine when I put that first disc on and play something through them, I'm just looking for some things to think about playing while I await the speakers' arrival next week Sort of a way to enjoy the anticipation a little more.

So, anything you're listening to lately to suggest?

Quote from: Ferdi
Hi, I would not worry so much about the first 10, 30, 50 CD. You probably won't get the best out of your new speakers. Also, I believe you need to tune the RM40, which might make them not their best until this is done.

In order to get maximum enjoyment, I would pick a few discs I would NOT listen to while the breaking in and tuning is done and then put them on.

Just a suggestion of course.

Ferdi

SWG255

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:25 am »
Two great suggestions! I used to have an LP with "Fanfare for the Common Man" done by the Dallas Symphony, and an "Also Sprach Zarathrustra" by the NY Philharmonic. So, I guess it's time to think about replacing these with some SACDs or quality CDs. I think the RM40s are going to revive my interest in "classical" music.

What about some Ravel with Martinot and the Chicago Symphony? It sure sounds lush and sweet on my LM-300s, it will be interesting to hear on the RM40s, but maybe not for the very first CD...

Quote from: PhilNYC
How about Also Sprach Zarathustra?  Or Fanfare for the Common Man?  Those seem like good "unveiling the new shiny speakers" tracks...

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2003, 04:40 am »
How about "the" classic rendition of Beethoven's 5th conducted by Kleiber on DG?  You know that the 5th was used to signal Victory in WWII. . .

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2003, 05:00 am »
How about "the" classic rendition of Beethoven's 5th conducted by Kleiber on DG?  You know that the 5th was used to signal Victory in WWII. . .

I'm no classical expert but the Kleiber 5th is awesome. Picked this up on SACD a few months back and it's a treat.

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2003, 05:30 am »
Yes, he has the musicians playing with such intensity that you can actually hear the bows slapping the fret boards during the 4 note motif - that is insane :-)

SWG255

« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2003, 05:56 am »
A beethoven's 5th on SACD! by Kleiber! Now, that sounds like the ticket! Where did you guys find this? It's not likely to be a Best Buy is it? Would it be at Barnes & Nobile, Tower Records or Amazon? Or must i get it from Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc?

Thanks!

Ferdi

« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2003, 03:28 pm »
OK, digging through my stack off recently played CDs:

Holly Cole, It happened one night
Cannonball Adderly, Somethin' else
George Benson, talkin' verve
Rachmaninoff 3, Martha Argerich, Riccardo Chailly
Ludwig von Beethoven, various Sonatas by Wilhelm Kempff
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (This is the CD, not the remastered CD/SACD talked about elsewhere)

Have fun with the new speakers!

Ferdi

SWG255

Thanks Ferdi
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2003, 03:45 pm »
All good discs to spin, I appreciate your mention of them.

meilankev

« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2003, 03:42 am »
SWG,

I remember when I was waiting for my RM40s, I asked the same question on HarmonicDiscord.  Keep in mind, I was living in temporary housing waiting for my home to be built, so I had no access to my previous stereo or music for 12 months.

After much consideration, I selected "Ladies of the Road" by King Crimson, a decision I don't regret.

Kevin

MaxCast

« Reply #17 on: 23 Nov 2003, 01:37 pm »

STOP IT !  :wink:
I picked up the Mozart rec on page one...very nice.  Now I have to get Be's 5th too.