simple noob question re computer based 5.1 DIY audio

denverdoc

My nephew needs a system for his bedroom--gaming, vid, audio only in that order, and rather than see him waste a 200 on some HT in the box crap from walmart, I started thinking about a PC based system using DIY speakers. Where I'm stuck is finding cheap but decent 5 channel amplification--certainly a HT receiver is an option, but wondering if there was another approach. I reckon about 25 w/ch should do it that could just use the analog out feeds from a good sound card? Sorry if this has been discussed to death but this is new terrain for me. I'm very interested for some selfish reasons as well--I want to do a much more sophisticated version of the same using my DEQX for L, R and sub, and digital XO's for the surrounds. No center needed IMO. So 2 questions to float as I'm stoked about this approach to both low cost decent sound for him, and ultra high rez many splendored surround using 24/96 downloads (in surround when possible) for me. Hey whens he my age, he can have one too... :wink:

denverdoc

Re: simple noob question re computer based 5.1 DIY audio
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2008, 07:49 am »
Disappointed by non-response, I moderate forums elsewhere and we'd never leave something so simple flapping in the breeze.
John

mcgsxr

Re: simple noob question re computer based 5.1 DIY audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2008, 01:43 pm »
Sorry that folks have not been more helpful.

How about a 5 channel version of a gainclone?  Easy to get your power, and plenty of information about them out on the Net.

I would also consider buying a used 5 channel amp - lots of those around on Audiogon etc.

As for speakers, I if you are using a good sub, I would look at 4.5-6 inch full range drivers in sealed boxes.

I have had plenty of success with the FR125S (either DIYCable or CSS in Canada).

If you are not looking for DIY speakers, I have helped friends build up cheaper 5, 6 and 7.1 systems using available used bookshelf speakers.  There are usually lots of brand name pairs around eBay - Mirage, Paradigm, Boston etc

Have fun!