Anyone using the Modwright Transporter with RWA 30.2?

schw06

Wondering if anyone is using this combination? More specifically, anyone using the transporter directly in to the amp and using the volume control on the transporter or having more success with the pre in the 30.2 or an external pre? Thanks!
Dave

jwes

Re: Anyone using the Modwright Transporter with RWA 30.2?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2008, 08:00 pm »
I'm thinking of the same combination, except with the 70.2's.  So, I have same question.  The only thing I can say is that Dan at ModWright told me you can attenuate the TP about 10db before losing bits and hurting resolution (he says that it is a debated estimate though).  Attenuation in the Transporter is in the digital domain.

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2008, 08:08 pm »
I was using a stock Transporter directly into my amps and felt that there was certainly a lack of detail and dynamics at low listening levels.  Of course, this is with very sensitive speakers (98db) so the digital attenuation was quite high.

-Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2008, 12:52 am »
Wondering if anyone is using this combination? More specifically, anyone using the transporter directly in to the amp and using the volume control on the transporter or having more success with the pre in the 30.2 or an external pre? Thanks!
Dave

Hi schw06,

If you are using a Modwright Transporter, you are better off using the analog outputs to feed the 30.2 integrated (built-in remote volume control) and controlling the volume of the 30.2, and setting the Transporter volume to MAX.

Best regards,

Vinnie

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2008, 01:17 am »

Hello,

I am also using the stock Transporter with some personal upgrades going direct to Cousin Vinnie's wonderful 30.2 amp. I found the combination very challenging. More or less resolution with TP volume, more lower midrange fill-in (30.2 as default vol=) with more bass and less digital signature. Its been great experimenting with both and now I have settled into a nice combination between the two.

Vinnie thanks so much, pal. 

Luis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2008, 12:20 am »

Hello,

I am also using the stock Transporter with some personal upgrades going direct to Cousin Vinnie's wonderful 30.2 amp. I found the combination very challenging. More or less resolution with TP volume, more lower midrange fill-in (30.2 as default vol=) with more bass and less digital signature. Its been great experimenting with both and now I have settled into a nice combination between the two.

Vinnie thanks so much, pal. 

Luis

Hi Luis,

Good to hear from you, and thanks for your post!  8)

So you are using your Transporter to feed your 30.2 integrated, and setting the TP digital volume control first (at some value less than MAX) and using the 30.2's remote volume control when listening?  Interesting idea to tweak the sound by lowering the TP volume (less resolution, but perhaps warmer sounding?).

Thanks again!

Vinnie

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2008, 10:13 pm »

Vinnie,

Yeah I found that the volume setting is dependent on recording playback . Your 30.2 is excellent! Very transparent and essential for the warmth in the voice. Its pretty close to my SET tube set up.

I use the TP volume which has a .50 step increments to fine tune playback level and it works. Resolution is a two edge sword since it means many things. Love the quiet background compared to my all tube SET set up.