Trends USB converter

avta

Trends USB converter
« on: 4 Nov 2008, 03:06 pm »
I notice that Trends has a new product that takes the usb output from a computer (?) and provides a number of digital output options such as optical and coax. Anyone used this or know about this?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Trends USB converter
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2008, 03:59 pm »
I notice that Trends has a new product that takes the usb output from a computer (?) and provides a number of digital output options such as optical and coax. Anyone used this or know about this?

You might want to be more descriptive about this new product,,, like it's name possibly and a picture maybe???

From what I can see, there's no (really) new USB product available. The UD-10.1 has been out well over a year now and the UD-10.1 Lite has been out since early this summer now and is a backstep from the UD 10.1 as is shown from the websites product comparison. Having owned the UD 10.1(that I use as simply a transport) since last feb 2008, I'd be all over an upgrade to the UD-10.1 (as a simple transport) if that's indeed possible. I really doubt that'll happen tho and I'm still wondering why they would come out with a watered down version of the UD-10.1? :scratch:

1 more thing, why is this thread in the Apple circle? It has nothing to do with Apple,, should be in The Discless Circle imho. :D

Cheers,
Robin

chrisby

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2008, 05:23 pm »
Robin - while it may not be a new product from the manufacturer, there's also the Pop Pulse:

http://www.audio-magus.com/PC_Digital_Transport_II_p/pctrans.htm

I haven't played with either, but both it and the Trends UD-10.1 are described as "transports" - still requiring the use of a separate DAC.

The ultimate quality vs either of the above would of course depend on the separate DAC, but for a simpler one box solution there are several other options:

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/dac707usb.htm

(this one particularly appeals to me as the optical input could be used to bypass the woeful built in  DAC in the Airport Express)   

http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/kr_ud01.htm

And, finally for a truly integrated solution to computer based sound, there's the

http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/krt20u.htm

This one I've used, and it's quite a decent compact little piece (easily tucks under the monitor stand on my 20" iMac), with more than adequate power for desk-top or even floorstanding speakers with 90dB or higher sensitivity .   

PS,  mea culpa - I see the Trends vs Pop Pulse was also discussed at the Discless circle

and FWIW I'm with Dave - after 40yrs in the audio hobby, I've migrated to the mostly SET/Fullrange camp, and the fewer boxes the better, which is why the T20U is very appealing for what it is.

There is no such thing as "ultimate" resolution, and I'd far rather surrender to the compromises that "simpler" kit entail, and just enjoy the bloody music.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2008, 08:14 pm »
The Pop Pulse USB has nothing to do with Trends Audio so it's not a new product from them. aa The Trend UD-10.1 has it's own DAC, I simply choose not to use it as I channel to a Sunfire processor. I think the Trend UD-10.1 Lite doesn't have a DAC, maybe that's why it's light.  :lol:

While you may consider a DAC as the ultimate quality, it's not the last word in quality as I found out with my auditioning the Locus Design Axis USB cable. In my system the way it's set up, the Axis was the ultimate quality,,, as in what it did to my now existing system. But I also feel this cable will benefit any USB system regardless of quality as it is the very first link from your computer so a lesser cable would diminish whatever it's plugged into regardless of it's quality.  :D

Here's a very good review that just came out this month on the subject, http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue40/usb.htm

Cheers,
Robin

chrisby

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2008, 10:49 pm »
Robin - obviously I didn't proof read my earlier post thoroughly enough. (is there an emoticon for foot in mouth?)

Not having yet played with any of the named gadgets, except for the T20U, I made some assumptions:

all were intended to be used as "transports" only, which to my understanding means simply the conversion of digital stream from any one input format or connector type to another

use of such a transport requires a separate DAC - I scanned the specs on the UD10.1 too quickly to notice it contained one, and the photos didn't show it

I can't be the only one hoping for fewer boxes rather than more in my "converged" computer/audio system

It's great to know that reviewers can appreciate the difference a $550 or even $250 (for 6 feet) USB cable can make, but as my computer is at the other end of an L-shaped room, I'd need something at least 30ft to reach. No doubt cable builders would be happy to quote on custom cable lengths, but I'm inclined to to try another approach.

Personally, the thought of spending more money on a hand made cryo-genically USB cable than the DAC itself certainly makes the one-box solution even more appealing, so just for dip my toe in this pond, I've ordered one of the cheap Zhalou D2.5 DACs. 

Until such time as I hear an affordable DAC that includes optical input (allowing use of AE with mini-toslink to Toslink cable), I'll be using my old Jolida CD player as source.  It has a 75ohm RCA coaxial output, and my Sangean HD FM radio has Toslink.  The Zhalou will allow the chance to try different combinations,  and has remote control functions as well - as a balding greyhair, convenience is an increasingly easy compromise to accept. 

For sure there must be better toys than the Zhalou to fit this application, and perhaps I might yet be able to afford one, but this'll certainly give me a taste.

Has anyone here heard the CityPulse D2.03E? 

avta

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2008, 03:59 am »
Yes, it's the UD-10.1 that I'm referring to. I posted here because I'm a Mac user and am trying to figure out the best way to get digital output from a Mac. I currently have an old Mac Mini which does not have a digital output via the headphone jack as some of the newer models have. I'm also aware that Wadia has recently brought out a unit which allows the digital output from an iPod to be used by a dac. I was wondering if the Trends unit accomplishes a similar thing or is the quality of the digital signal inferior to the Wadia.

pardales

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2008, 04:41 am »
I used the UD-10 as a usb-spdif converter and thought it was very good. I have recommended it to others.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2008, 04:47 am »
I used the UD-10 as a usb-spdif converter and thought it was very good. I have recommended it to others.

I resemble that remark! :thumb: Replacing the optional battery pak with Channel Island's VDC-SB power supply made my UD-10.1 a whole lot better also. :D

Cheers,
Robin

chrisby

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2008, 06:10 pm »
Yes, it's the UD-10.1 that I'm referring to. I posted here because I'm a Mac user and am trying to figure out the best way to get digital output from a Mac. I currently have an old Mac Mini which does not have a digital output via the headphone jack as some of the newer models have. I'm also aware that Wadia has recently brought out a unit which allows the digital output from an iPod to be used by a dac. I was wondering if the Trends unit accomplishes a similar thing or is the quality of the digital signal inferior to the Wadia.

IINM, the Wadia is the first commercial product accessing the direct digital stream from the iPod/phone docking connector.  With all due respect to Trends performance/value ratio, Wadia has never been known for inferior sonic quality, and the i170 is intended as a stand alone audio/video server.   

As an A/V toy, the base price of $380 would seem almost too good a value to ignore.  Of course there are already aftermarket "balls to the walls" upgrades to the i170 that can more than quadruple the cost, but that's capitalism at it's best, is it not?

Five years ago, who cudda seriously thunk we'd be able to watch videos on our widescreen TVs that were downloaded to our 'phones on the drive home from work? (of course, not yet at 1080i).

PhillipC

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2008, 05:17 pm »
I currently have a Mac Mini with an optical out going to my VDA2 DAC.  I would like to use my Luminous Audio Allegro Sig. coax cable instead.  Should I get something like a DIP classic to go optical to coax or the Trends USB converter instead?

cryoparts

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2008, 12:24 am »
I currently have a Mac Mini with an optical out going to my VDA2 DAC.  I would like to use my Luminous Audio Allegro Sig. coax cable instead.  Should I get something like a DIP classic to go optical to coax or the Trends USB converter instead?

IMO, get a USB to SPDIF converter.  However, I sell them, so I may be biased.

Peace,

Lee

chrisby

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2008, 01:05 am »
probably a bit OT regarding the Trends "transporter", and certainly a bit embarrassing to ask, but what is "TG Link"

just what we need, yet another (proprietary?) digital interface format

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2008, 01:36 am »
probably a bit OT regarding the Trends "transporter", and certainly a bit embarrassing to ask, but what is "TG Link"

Hi,

It is a proprietary format used by Zhaolu D3 DAC and the Soundscape PC sound card.   It is basically a I2S, slightly modified.  I like it a great deal, however, it is only available on a few pieces of gear, mainly of Chinese manufacture.

Peace,

Lee

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2008, 02:22 am »

This is just my opinion but I think you'd be better off just sticking with a digital cable and forget the optical, regardless of what USB transport you use. Then again you could always go with a USB DAC, then all you have is the USB cable and a set of IC's. But what do I know, I spent 3 times the $$$ for my Locus Design Axis USB cable to complement my Trends UD-10.1 and I'm glad I did.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

chrisby

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:53 am »

This is just my opinion but I think you'd be better off just sticking with a digital cable and forget the optical, regardless of what USB transport you use. Then again you could always go with a USB DAC, then all you have is the USB cable and a set of IC's. But what do I know, I spent 3 times the $$$ for my Locus Design Axis USB cable to complement my Trends UD-10.1 and I'm glad I did.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Thanks for the great advice, y'all;  I just got e-mail confirmation from a local distributor that due to out of stock status on for the cheaper Zhalou, my order was substituted with the Citypulse 7.2X at the same price.  It kinda sucks for him to lose the profit, but unless the unit is a complete turd, I expect it'll be great for me.  The purpose was to feed with optical digital output from Airport Express, whose built-in DAC won't be very difficult to surpass. 

I've only had opportunity to hear 2 USB DACs in my system - one a rather poorly implement DIY version of a Peter Daniels design, and the other an Edirol. Neither were particularly impressive, although to be honest most of my "issue" with the PD design was actually the communication problem and media server interface on the PC based laptop used in the demonstration.  The Edirol was brain-dead simple to use with iTunes / AE, but didn't sound any better than my 8 yrs old Jolida CD player.  I'm all for the convenience of hard-drive based music server, but not at the expense of a sonic step backwards.     

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:05 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Thanks for the great advice, y'all;  I just got e-mail confirmation from a local distributor that due to out of stock status on for the cheaper Zhalou, my order was substituted with the Citypulse 7.2X at the same price.  It kinda sucks for him to lose the profit, but unless the unit is a complete turd, I expect it'll be great for me.  The purpose was to feed with optical digital output from Airport Express, whose built-in DAC won't be very difficult to surpass. 

I've only had opportunity to hear 2 USB DACs in my system - one a rather poorly implement DIY version of a Peter Daniels design, and the other an Edirol. Neither were particularly impressive, although to be honest most of my "issue" with the PD design was actually the communication problem and media server interface on the PC based laptop used in the demonstration.  The Edirol was brain-dead simple to use with iTunes / AE, but didn't sound any better than my 8 yrs old Jolida CD player.  I'm all for the convenience of hard-drive based music server, but not at the expense of a sonic step backwards.     

Well i hope the Citypulse USB works out as well for you in your system as the Trends USB has for me in mine. I'll keep my ears open for some feeback from ya. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin