RWA-WLM complete system

Jim C

RWA-WLM complete system
« on: 3 Nov 2008, 02:32 am »
I am new to both this forum and to RWA products and wanted to share my experience to date. But first a little context to hopefully make sense of this posting. I do not consider myself an audiophile but rather just a guy who enjoys listening to music, akin to the descriptions that Jeff Day has made in his music lover's series. I have been researching the purchase of a modestly priced but high quality 2 channel system for some time. I travel a lot in my business, so have had an opportunity to hear quite a variety of systems at all price levels. I am also a researcher by trade and have read everything I can about this hobby.

In the end though, I have come to believe that the reviews of individual kit, measurements, technology approaches, prices, etc do little to help decide what is the best system approach to achieving the kind of sound a given individual seeks. You can only decide by listening to as much live music as you can, of the kind of music you enjoy, then trust your own ears in buying what system sounds best to you, rather than paying too much attention to the media, salesman, etc. I've also come to believe that in addition to the above, the synergy of all the parts of the system are much more important than the individual pieces themselves. And finally, you have to have some level of confidence in the service and support after purchase since most things breaks down or wear out eventually, and require some level of maintenance.

I enjoy listening to small group jazz, vocals, blues, occasional symphonic music and some world music. I have auditioned all sorts of SS, tube, hybrid etc based systems with sources ranging from turntable, CD, to music server as well as multiple types and brands of speakers. I generally found there was little positive correlation between the systems I thought sounded best and price. Some of the most expensive systems sounded garish and grating to me and some of the least expensive sounded compelling. I found that I tended toward the sound of vinyl and tube based amplification but didn't really want to deal with the added degree of upkeep of vinyl or the heat, cost, etc of tubes if I could find an alternate system solution that would provide that kind of sound. I was also interested in leveraging the simplicity and user control of a computer based musical library if I could achieve/preserve the kind of sound I was seeking.

I had narrowed my choice down to several possibilities that included the following: Shindo-Devore ( very coherent, liquid sound with great pace, timing etc but a little bass lite if you didn't go up to the Devore Nines- also this one got a little pricey for a casual listener like myself), All Entry Level Audio Note ( similar ambiance to the Shindo tube electronics but not quite as compelling to me - don't have all the audio jargon down, but this system was resolute, light, snappy, but seemed to have less "body" than the Shindo gear), Resolution Audio- Harbeth (best SS based sound I had heard at reasonable price levels with very nice matching with the Harbeth "natural sounding" speakers - this system was very reasonably priced and the easiest of all to set up and use. The American designer of the RA has achieved a "designed-in" synergy that many other manufacturers might do well to emulate. Also, to my ears, the old school Harbeths put many newer, "latest and greatest" speakers of similar price range to shame).

Before I made a purchase however, I was fortunate enough to have a chance to hear one more system, a complete system from Vinnie Rossi's Red Wine firm. I went to the RMAF 2008 and listened to a system consisting of the RWA Isabella Pre Amp with built in DAC, 30.2 Sig Amp, WLM Diva Monitor Speakers on custom Skylan stands, RWA cables and interconnects (built for RWA by ALO) and sourced with a Macbook using iTunes. I also listened to the same system sourced with vinyl via a Scheu turntable as well.

To cut to the chase, I decided to buy the RWA-WLM based system. At the RMAF, we played the same music simultaneously on both the Macbook and Scheu turntable and switched back and forth (blind test so I couldn't see which source was selected). It was very difficult to discern which source was active - they were both great. I have not heard a system with a Macbook source that sounded as natural, analog sounding and compelling as this system. I am able to approach the sound of vinyl with the convenience of instant access to my entire music collection and without the heat, cost and maintenance of power tubes.

I realize that many find the frequent shuffling of components fun, and I can understand the "thrill of the hunt", but if you simply want to listen to music in a reasonably priced and high quality system with great synergy and a very natural, non -fatiguing sound that is sort of neutral to warm and "analog" sounding, I don't think you can do much better than this setup in this price range. With this setup and the convenience of using the Macbook source, I find I am listening to music more often, for longer duration and enjoying it more as well.

Vinnie is a pleasure to work and I believe will be a reliable source in the future for any maintenance issues. The overall effect of using all of his stuff in combination, e.g. in an end to end (minus source) system approach is really an "easy button" for achieving the elusive synergy and quality that I (and I suspect many others) seek.

I realize this is a long post but hope that it may help any others considering the synergy of an all RWA-WLM system of the kind that Vinnie has recently put together. I am very pleased with this system and am now focused only on finding new music!

whyyyyyy

Re: RWA-WLM complete system
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2008, 03:47 pm »
Hey Jim.  I am also enjoying a RWA-WLM complete system.  Back when I first posted my impressions of the Isabella I was looking for more appropriate speakers for my set up.  Not too long after that Vinnie introduced that he would be carrying WLM speakers.  So I ended up getting WLM La Scala floor standing speakers.  The synergy is undeniable. 

I hope you are enjoying the combination as much as me!! :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2008, 04:13 pm »
Hi Jim C,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

It was a pleasure to meet you at RMAF, and thank you for sharing your experiences with the complete RWA + WLM system.   8)

Vinnie is a pleasure to work and I believe will be a reliable source in the future for any maintenance issues. The overall effect of using all of his stuff in combination, e.g. in an end to end (minus source) system approach is really an "easy button" for achieving the elusive synergy and quality that I (and I suspect many others) seek.

Thank you.  I was really pleased when I discovered just how great the synergy is between our equipment and the WLMs!  They continue to do really well together in Europe and other parts of the world, and I'm really excited to offer the WLMs in North America and I use them in my reference system.  :singing:

I realize that many find the frequent shuffling of components fun, and I can understand the "thrill of the hunt", but if you simply want to listen to music in a reasonably priced and high quality system with great synergy and a very natural, non -fatiguing sound that is sort of neutral to warm and "analog" sounding, I don't think you can do much better than this setup in this price range. With this setup and the convenience of using the Macbook source, I find I am listening to music more often, for longer duration and enjoying it more as well.

This is what it is all about - a full system solution that we stand behind 100% and know works perfectly together, and allows the listener to just do want the listener really wants to do -- become seduced by the music and enjoy every second of it!

We will soon be offering system package pricing on the RWA + WLM systems, and we are also going to be extending a discount on WLM speakers for RWA customers.  I am confident that once people hear them together, they will fall in love all over again with their music collection as I have done.  :inlove:

We are sending Tone Audio a pair of La Scala Monitors, where Marc Phillips will be reviewing them with Jeff Dorgay's Isabella and 30.2.

Srajan Ebaen of 6moons has an Isabella tube preamp (with built-in Isabellina dac) and 30.2 power amp, and will soon be receiving a pair of WLM La Scala floorstanders and will be conducting a review of the system! 

We'll also be attending CES 2009 in Vegas (January) with the WLM team, and hopefully will be lining up more reviews and will bring more exposure to this fine pairing. 

If any local (NY, New England, NJ, etc.) audio clubs would like to hear this system, we would also gladly show it off to them as well...

Hi whyyyyyy,

I am also enjoying a RWA-WLM complete system.  The synergy is undeniable.

Thanks for posting and I'm glad you are enjoying your Isabella/Isabellina + 30.2 + La Scala system!

Thanks again!

Vinnie

texendo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2008, 04:45 pm »
Vinnie (or anyone else who has heard),

Can you comment on the subjective differences you hear between the Diva and La Scala lines?  It seems as though their prices are, for all practical purposes, in the same league, and I would imagine that the differences between the two are more instance of taste rather than "better or worse..."

Any insight into this would be of great help (especially as it regards the floorstanders).

Thank you!!

Jason

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2008, 07:54 pm »
Hi Jason,

Can you comment on the subjective differences you hear between the Diva and La Scala lines?  It seems as though their prices are, for all practical purposes, in the same league, and I would imagine that the differences between the two are more instance of taste rather than "better or worse..."

You are exactly right!  After extensively listening to both models, I cannot say one is better than the other.  You see, both the WLM La Scala and Diva have the same WLM "house sound."  They are all rich in tone, dynamic, spacious, and very musical and the music comes alive.  They grab your attention and hold it, and as I mentioned above, you'll be seduced by the music and enjoy every second of it!

They do have a few sonic differences, which I will list below.  NOTE: These are NOT major differences (again,they actually have a similar sound), but they are noticeable.

Compared to the La Scala, the Diva offers:

1) Greater efficiency, making them a good choice for low power amps (under approx. 20 watts per channel RMS -- such as S.E.T. amps).  Diva efficiency is an impressive 97dB.

2) Tight and fast bass, with great dynamics

3) The soundstage is closer to the listener

4) Sharp image focus

5) Accurate and detailed top-end*

6) A choice of a few beautiful veneer finishes (including some premium finishes such as Tineo, Makassar, and Santos - all just gorgeous to look at and touch!)

Compared to the Diva, the La Scala offers:

1) Less efficiency, but is still considered "high efficiency" and will be fine with at least 20 watts per channel RMS (approx.).  Less power can also be used in smaller rooms or if one does not play too loudly.  La Scala efficiency is 93dB.

2) More bass weight and authority (more "punch" and "slam")

3) The soundstage extends very wide and deep, offering an incredible sense of spaciousness and depth

4) Imaging is not as pin-point, but still very well-done.

5) A silky, sweet top-end (characteristic of the paper-cone tweeter), more forgiving of poor recordings.  You'll NEVER get listener-fatigue with these, and there is plenty of detail and air*

6) Only one choice of veneer finish (a very attractive European Cherry, with black front panel).  Actually, WLM informed me that they can finish the La Scalas in a custom finish, but this adds 20% to the cost and there will be a longer lead-time for this.

IMO, the La Scala has a higher "bang for the buck" factor and are a true value and competitive with anything out there in their price range.

* Regarding number 5 above for both models, the La Scala and the Diva feature a Tweeter Control dial on the rear panel.  By adjusting this, one can actually make the La Scala sound more like the Diva,and vice-versa. 

The beauty of this Tweeter Control is that the listener can fine-tune the upper-frequence response to best match the room, the equipment used, and the listener's taste.  It is a great feature and is very well executed!

The La Scala and Diva Floorstanders are also bottom-ported, and by raising/lowering the spikes (thus raising and lowering the bass port from the floor) the listener can fine-tune the bass response... again, to the room, the equipment used, and the listener's taste.

Both the La Scala and Diva models offer the finest level of old-world, Austrian craftsmanship using 22 mm thick MDF-boards with extensive solid timber bracing for increased rigidity and resonance suppression.  Master woodworkers take the highest level of care and precision during the construction of the interior and exterior of the enclosures, and it shows!

Floorstander vs. Monitor

In the case of both the La Scala and Diva range, the Monitor version is identical to the floorstander except for the following;

1) The floorstander version of each model goes down 10Hz deeper and is bottom ported, while the monitor is front ported

2) The overall efficiency of the floorstander is a tad bit more (1 or 2dB)

3) The Monitor obviously requires a good set of stands.  For best value, we highly recommend Skylan Stands (Calgary, Canada) and make sure you sand fill them. 

Otherwise, they use idential drivers, identical crossovers, etc.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.  I am very proud to represent WLM Loudspeakers in North America, and you can except the same great Red Wine Audio customer service and support when working with us as distributor for WLM Lousdpeakers!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2008, 03:17 am »
We will soon be offering system package pricing on the RWA + WLM systems, and we are also going to be extending a discount on WLM speakers for RWA customers.  I am confident that once people hear them together, they will fall in love all over again with their music collection as I have done. 

All,

Details of the package pricing and discount to RWA customers will be posted sometime this coming week.  Thanks for all your interest (and patience)  :)

-Vinnie