large and louder-why

rosconey

large and louder-why
« on: 20 Nov 2003, 01:21 am »
for shits and giggles i hooked my large sub in mono on my rxv1(still use 1mono block amp for each speaker-used a y)it is considerably louder and has a lot more pressure a lot more , why is this -should i have been running one speaker 180  from the other when in stereo  :?:
the pressure is  :mrgreen:

bubba966

large and louder-why
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2003, 05:06 am »
I think that when you run the large in stereo, the drivers are 8 ohm. But when running them in mono (in series I think...) then it's a 4 ohm load. I'm not 100% positive about that, but I think that's why you're getting the results you're getting.

And if you run one of the drivers 180 degrees from the other you'll get no bass as they'll cancel each other out. I've tried that with my subs once to see what'd happen, and they just cancelled each other out. Not terribly helpful like that... :wink:  :lol:

John Casler

Re: large and louder-why
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2003, 05:37 am »
Quote from: rosconey
for shits and giggles i hooked my large sub in mono on my rxv1(still use 1mono block amp for each speaker-used a y)it is considerably louder and has a lot more pressure a lot more , why is this -should i have been running one speaker 180  from the other when in stereo  :?:

I would also suggest that the mono signal drives "both" woofs "in definate phase", where a stereo signal "might" send a stronger signal to left ot right at some times to provide directionality.

If both woofers are moving in and out at the same time it would produce a slightly higher SPL.

Q

Re: large and louder-why
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2003, 12:32 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

I would also suggest that the mono signal drives "both" woofs "in definate phase", where a stereo signal "might" send a stronger signal to left ot right at some times to provide di ...

Thats one way that the "changed the world" Bose wave radio gets extra bass.  Hard to believe for all that money for a little radio, you dont even get STEREO!  Oh, and could someone explain to me how they patented transmission line bass coupling, when its been around since the 1920's

Question: is the sub in the same spot that it was before you tried the mono mod?

rosconey

large and louder-why
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2003, 05:31 pm »
:o sub is in the same place with the same amps -only difference is using mono out from the reciever not the stereo outs-still a 8 ohm load.
with the rat shack meter is 3db louder at same volume setting :o

John Casler

large and louder-why
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2003, 01:50 am »
:o sub is in the same place with the same amps -only difference is using mono out from the reciever not the stereo outs-still a 8 ohm load.
with the rat shack meter is 3db louder at same volume setting :o

Sometimes LFE outs are also boosted a bit, or can be boosted, via the set up menu in you receiver/prepro.

SO it could also be that, plus the Mono puts the excursion of both woofers in unison where the stereo may not. :wink:

rosconey

large and louder-why
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2003, 11:03 am »
changed back to stereo last night-the bass pressure was nice but the extra db's took away to much of the top end (covered it up?)
i  think i  might use the mono way for movies -it only takes a minute to hook up :mrgreen: