Join me for a presentation on civil rights viewed through history of music.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I think this will be interesting to listen to.  Back in the days, I took a course on Western history as told by women through visual arts.  Since history is always written by the dominant group, it was refreshing to see alternate accounting through visual arts which did not get edited by men.  In the same way, I think music can tell a different side of the civil rights movement that will be enlightening.  If you care to join me, give me a PM. 

http://www.alumni.virginia.edu/multimedia/aig/0809/11.19.08julianbond.html 

Please don't turn this into a political discussion.  :nono:

Thanks,

wje

woodsyi,

Were you able to attend this event?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Yeah,

My wife and I had dinner earlier at the same Clyde's of Gallery Place where the reception was.  It's the best Clyde's of the bunch that I have been to in DC and NOVA.  We staked our seats in the front row and did the usual schmoozing with the alums.  Julian Bond of the NAACP fame started teaching at UVA after I finished and he had a real fun presentation.  He didn't summarize his thesis or anything -- he just let the presentation speak for itself.  Young white people dug black music even as the official segregation policies were in force.  Music has no racial or ethnic boundries.  Man, I am not going to be able to listen to Hound Dog again with a straight face.  Apparently, Big Mama Thornton was calling a man a hound dog because he lost his libido and could only howl and not get it up anymore.  aa  Elvis, too, was reported to be a bit of a "hound dog" himself....

It was fun and we enjoyed chatting with him after.