Cornet2 owners: what are you using for TT and cartridge?

mingles

• my system
I thought this would be an interesting forum to start.

analog97

Re: Cornet2 owners: what are you using for TT and cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2008, 12:56 pm »
I have a VPI MK-IV w/TNT platter, SAMA, RB-300 (Cardas re-wired and Heavyweight), Denon-103 and Piccolo.  Also other SUT's I rotate.  This stuff grabs a lot from those grooves.   :)

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2008, 02:20 pm »
A Harmon/Kardon T55C with a Van Alstine designed power supply upgrade (similar to the T60 below)

The tone arm on this table is a low mass design so a high compliance cartridge works best.
The Goldring G1042 sounds great and is a perfect match.

Wayne

el34

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2008, 02:59 pm »
Technics 1200 with ortofon om-20 and KAB damper.
Solid and smooth w/ the Cornet!

SoundBound

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:56 pm »
I must admit that I don't have a Coronet2 at this time. I am currently using a Bugle that I built a couple of years ago.  I am now procuring the parts to build my Coronet2.  It's my fall/winter project.

As for the turntable and cartridge, here is the list:

- Thorens TD160 - refurbished and modified with dampened plinth components, new wood chassis in solid oak and built-in Bugle phono preamp.
- Cartridge is a Grado Blue

Right now revamping the entire analog system.  I am building the Coronet2 in the next month or so  :D .  I have also purchased an SME 3009 Series 2 arm off of eBay and am currently refurbing it and doing the rewiring.  This will go on the Thorens.  I am looking to possibly craft a special cabling of the SME by using continuous Cardas wiring from the cartridge clips right down to the RCA phono cables as interconnects.  No intermediate connectors.  This will take some work to do right.

Also just finished building myself a record cleaner, so this is why the sudden resurgence in vinyl.  With the new cleaner I can now get to all those garage sale / thrift store purchased albums that I have not gone through yet.

By the way, if you are interested, you can see details of my turntable build on my web site:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~riksol/

mingles

• my system
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2008, 08:28 pm »
Very nice! Let's see if we can get more folks to respond.

My TT is Micro Seiki DQX-500. I was using an RB300 for quite a while, but recently switched back to the original arm which is MA-707. My cartridge is a nude DL-103, but I'm in the market looking for something with an airier sound.

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
Technics, Thorens, Hagerman
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2008, 08:50 pm »
Thorens TD-111

Technics SL-1200

Denon DL-103

boosted by a Cinemag transfomer which you will find in the Hagerman SUT

feeding a modded Cambridge 640p

which will give way to a Hagerman Cornet2 now under construction

all making it's way through a Hagerman Clarinet

I also have the Castanet board

amandarae

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:34 pm »
Very nice! Let's see if we can get more folks to respond.

My TT is Micro Seiki DQX-500. I was using an RB300 for quite a while, but recently switched back to the original arm which is MA-707. My cartridge is a nude DL-103, but I'm in the market looking for something with an airier sound.

Hello Mark,

You might want to try a different phonostage tube combo (assuming you are using the Cornet 2).  Also, you might want to try a different rectifier than what you are currently using on the Cornet 2 if you have 5Y3's.  With a 5AR4, the B+ will be higher and could bring out the "airiness" you are looking for. 

What loading are you using for the 103?  Have you tried running them at around 470 ohms (1:10 no resistors)?  Can you adjust VTA on the RB300?  How is the bass compared to the highs, are you hearing a tad bass heavy over all presentation?  Could be the VTA.  How long is the cable from SUT to phono preamp?  what is the effective mass of the MA-707 arm?

If you are set buying a different cart, then the ATOC9 is worth a try for "budget cartridges".  It has air but not as good in the midrange as a properly set up DL 103 IMO.  Also, if possible for you to audition, try a uni pivot arm like a Moerch UP-4 instead of the gimbal type like the RB300.

regards.

Abe

analog97

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2008, 11:25 pm »
Very intriguing posts here!!  Coupla questions:

Abe:
Also, you might want to try a different rectifier than what you are currently using on the Cornet 2 if you have 5Y3's.  With a 5AR4, the B+ will be higher and could bring out the "airiness" you are looking for. 

I'm using a 5Y3 and would like to try a 5AR4.  Recommendations?

Pat:

What the heck did you do to that Denon 103??  :icon_surprised:

amandarae

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2008, 01:07 am »
Very intriguing posts here!!  Coupla questions:

Abe:
Also, you might want to try a different rectifier than what you are currently using on the Cornet 2 if you have 5Y3's.  With a 5AR4, the B+ will be higher and could bring out the "airiness" you are looking for. 

Hello,

Here's for you:
5AR4, I=1.9A,Vd=17 V at 225mA
5Y3, I =2.0, Vd= 60V at125 mA

5U4, I=3.0, Vd=44V at 225mA
5V4, I=2.0, Vd=25V at 175 mA

The filament current for the 6.3VAC heater of the 370 BX transformer is rated at 2.0 Amps.

As you can see, using a 5Y3, the tube drops around 60 but only 17 when using a 5AR4.  This is why the B+ will be higher.  You can also see that we can use a 5V4 rectifier tube instead since it has a lower voltage drop than the 5Y3 also and because the filament current is within specs to that of the transformer rating.  The 5U4, we cannot use because it draws higher current than the winding at 3 amps regardless of the voltage drop.

For a 5AR4, there is nothing better for me than an authentic Mullard.  I have them all (metal base, fat base, old logo, new logo, etc.)

Pat:

What the heck did you do to that Denon 103??  

I am guilty as charge as well! :lol: :lol:

regards,

abe

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2008, 02:55 am »

A 5V4GA will also work
I=2.0A, Vd=25V at 175 mA

I am using a NOS/NIB, CBS 5V4GA from Jim McShane ($17.50) and like it a lot, it has strong life like bass.

Wayne

alpa6

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2008, 04:30 am »
I run a vpi scout table.A sme series III arm.A Grado statement sonata.Hagerman cornet2 and piccilo.
I second the 5a4d idea i run one and found it sounded better than the others i tried.

amandarae

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2008, 08:32 am »

A 5V4GA will also work
I=2.0A, Vd=25V at 175 mA

I am using a NOS/NIB, CBS 5V4GA from Jim McShane ($17.50) and like it a lot, it has strong life like bass.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Nice tube recommendation.  When you have a chance, you can also try a blackplate RCA 5V4G ST

Great sounding on my Cornet 2 and with a bonus.  It glows like ala "thoriated tungsten filament" (like type 83).  Very cool especially if you have visitors.

regards,

Abe

analog97

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2008, 03:46 pm »
Abe, humor me!!  What is that body on the Denon?  Does it improve an already fine MC low?  I've never seen this.  Thanks.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2008, 03:49 pm »

When you have a chance, you can also try a blackplate RCA 5V4G ST....It glows like ala "thoriated tungsten filament" (like type 83).  Very cool especially if you have visitors.

Great looking tube, I bet the glow really compliments the Cornet2's retro styling.

What is mystifying and amazing to me it that I have my equipment in room adjacent to the listening room and none of my friends has ever asked to see my gear. Many of my friends are women and they are only interested in the artist and contents of the album, not what makes the sounds; my male friends just aren't gear heads and will never get pleasure from a glowing thermionic valve (how sad).

Wayne

analog97

« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2008, 04:15 pm »
Wayne, I'd be there for 3 seconds before asking to see the gear.   :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2008, 04:51 pm »
Wayne, I'd be there for 3 seconds before asking to see the gear.   :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

You are too kind.

amandarae

« Reply #17 on: 1 Nov 2008, 06:02 pm »
Abe, humor me!!  What is that body on the Denon?  Does it improve an already fine MC low?  I've never seen this.  Thanks.

Hello,

The brown one is made of Panzerholz (use for bullet proofing German tanks) and the black one is ebony.

The wooden body 103 is superior than the stock one with plastic shell.  I will bet all I own to anyone who can prove otherwise!
I am dead serious.  In my case, I sold my Koetsu cartridge upon hearing the wooden body DL103.

Go to Audioasylum or just Google it, type wooden body Denon DL103 and spend a little time reading comments about those who ventured to own one.  It is simply amazing!

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #18 on: 1 Nov 2008, 08:05 pm »
For a 5AR4, there is nothing better for me than an authentic Mullard.  
regards,
abe

There is a Japanese-made-in-Mullard factory labeled "National" that is supposed to be werry werry close to a 'real' Mullard.
I have one and I can say that it gives up a solid bottom end and helps microphonic tubes settle down. The Bendix is close but a bit thinner by a notch. [these are in use in my Clarinet] I will use the Bendix in the cornet2 as it is so overbuilt it has got to be quietest tube.

amandarae

« Reply #19 on: 1 Nov 2008, 08:16 pm »
For a 5AR4, there is nothing better for me than an authentic Mullard.  
regards,
abe

There is a Japanese-made-in-Mullard factory labeled "National" that is supposed to be werry werry close to a 'real' Mullard.
I have one and I can say that it gives up a solid bottom end and helps microphonic tubes settle down. The Bendix is close but a bit thinner by a notch. [these are in use in my Clarinet] I will use the Bendix in the cornet2 as it is so overbuilt it has got to be quietest tube.

Hello Pat,

Agreed with the Bendix!  Are we talking about the 6106?  If so, I have 2 pairs.  The thing with the Bendix is this, you have to wait for at least close to 8 minutes before you can get the voltage fully rectified.  To put it simply, it starts giving rectified DC at about 45 seconds but if you look at the output with a scope, it keeps on moving higher per minute until it settles down.  Jim McShane mentioned something like this in a forum somewhere and IIANM, he said that it takes a lifetime to get a full output DC from the Bendix.  In a way, this feature is beneficial if you like to have a time delay for the filaments of the preamp tubes to prevent cathode stripping.

regards,

Abe

PS. Again, I agree that the construction of the 6106 is top notch and the tube will probably outlast you.  When they are warm enough, they are great sounding tube as well.