Wow!!

ajzepp

Wow!!
« on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:06 am »
I installed some GIK traps earlier this year and have been very happy with the results. Well, I'm in the process of moving into another place this week, and tonight I took all 16 pieces over to the new place. Well, I sat down to watch some tv (sound over my 5.1 system) a few minutes ago and WOW what a difference! As dramatic as it was to install the traps, being without them all of a sudden is even more dramatic!

Not that I needed any more convincing, but there's no way I'll ever have a listening room without treatments again. They make a HUGE difference.

Levi

Re: Wow!!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:13 am »
Congrats!

GIK price are also reasonable.  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:17 am »
Congrats!

GIK rules :D  The new room is approx 16x30, so it's going to be time to play around with some diffusion panels pretty soon. I think Bryan told me before that the room I've been in over the past couple years was too small to really benefit from them, so I'm excited to have a good reason to buy more GIK stuff lol.

Actually, if Bryan or Glenn happen to read this, can you guys make that pedestal thing a bit taller as a custom order? I was looking at other pedestal stands to put my projector on, then I realized you guys made one. I don't see any dimensions on the GIK site, so figured I'd ask here. I would need it about 4' tall...is that possible?

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2008, 05:05 pm »
      Hey there!  I agree that acoustical treatment is necessary for a complete solution to awesome sound.  I think you do need diffusion to achieve your goals.  Please check me out, and I wish the best for all on audiocircle.  Performance is everything!  In my long history of studio integration, I will point out that I learned back in the 70's that absorption is not the whole solution.  Studios that used all absorption found that sucking the life out of the room was not the best approach.  The high end studios and concert halls have found this out too, and the new frontier is using diffusion in new ways.  I embrace this, and have kept the love of music and sound, as opposed to strictly "ease of shipping" or any other compromise  at the core of my efforts. This is the guiding principle behind my company.......

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2008, 11:31 pm »
Allen, I sure will, thanks!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2008, 01:31 am »
Congrats!

GIK rules :D  The new room is approx 16x30, so it's going to be time to play around with some diffusion panels pretty soon. I think Bryan told me before that the room I've been in over the past couple years was too small to really benefit from them, so I'm excited to have a good reason to buy more GIK stuff lol.

Actually, if Bryan or Glenn happen to read this, can you guys make that pedestal thing a bit taller as a custom order? I was looking at other pedestal stands to put my projector on, then I realized you guys made one. I don't see any dimensions on the GIK site, so figured I'd ask here. I would need it about 4' tall...is that possible?

Which product are you referring to, the Pillar?  If so, while we can make it taller, shipping it gets very expensive once you have to ship via truck freight instead of FedEx/UPS/etc. 

In that new room, you'll definitely have the space to include some diffusion in the space.  Let me know what's up and I'll be happy to work with you on figuring out what's the best way to proceed. 

Bryan

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2008, 04:24 am »
Bryan:

Shipping isn't a problem since I live in Atlanta :)  What are the dimensions of the stock pillar?

The shape of the newer room is a bit odd in some places, so once I figure out where to put all my bass traps, I'll definitely start seeking some help with diffusion.  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2008, 12:09 pm »
Sweet...  The stock pillar is 16" square x 48" tall.  I'll try to scrounge up a pic of our new wood diffuser and post it.

Bryan

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2008, 11:15 am »
Oh okay, I think the stock height will be fine then...I think I may need to go pick one up soon :D

Definitely would love to see the new diffusor pic!