Ceramic Grill/Smokers

slinco

Ceramic Grill/Smokers
« on: 30 Oct 2008, 05:57 pm »
Anybody have any experience with ceramic grills like the Big Green Egg, the Kamado cooker, the Primo grill, or the Grill Dome? I'm thinking of getting one and would be interested to hear any likes/dislikes from anyone.

Thanks

slinco

Re: Ceramic Grill/Smokers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2008, 02:02 pm »
Thanks marbles. I appreciate the info. I'm leaning towards the Egg...

IronLion

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2008, 02:05 pm »
I have the smallest Green Egg they make, got it primarily for making steaks but have gone so far as to make ribs in it with indirect heat over an 8 hour period.  The green eggs, while expensive, are awesome.  Just make sure you get it from an authorized seller and your warranty will cover most anything that will happen to it in the course of normal use. 

Andrikos

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2008, 05:02 pm »
I love my Chinese knockoff of the Green Egg..

Are you sure it"s not lead laced? ;)

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2008, 05:07 pm »
Anybody have any experience with ceramic grills like the Big Green Egg, the Kamado cooker, the Primo grill, or the Grill Dome? I'm thinking of getting one and would be interested to hear any likes/dislikes from anyone.

Thanks

I have owned the extra tall Grill Dome for 2 years.  After owning this grill I can only say I wish I had owned one many years ago.  It is significantly better than previous gas and charcoal grills I have owned.

Check out the owner forums at www.grilldome.com.  There is a section that addresses all newbie questions concerning ceramic cookers.

Ken

jk@home

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2008, 01:41 am »
Thanks marbles. I appreciate the info. I'm leaning towards the Egg...

I've owned a large BGE since last June, so still kinda a newbie. But I love it, no regrets. Just today, had burgers for lunch, cedar planked salmon tonight for dinner.

Make sure you budget in all the accessories, i.e. plate setter, pizza stone, cast iron grille, instant read thermometer, etc.

I bought the compact BGE wooden cart to mount it in, much more stable when moving than the nest thingie (lots of folks build their own tables).

About the only thing I miss that the egg won't do is rotisserie chicken, I'll have to buy a new gasser for that.

The BGE has TONS of web support, here are the two biggest:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=showcat&catid=1

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:00 am »
Well, I just purchased a Grill Dome.  I'm going to install this weekend and hope to use on Sunday for a chicken test drive before slightly smoking and cooking a turkey on Thanksgiving. 

jk@home

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2008, 12:40 pm »
Well, I just purchased a Grill Dome.  I'm going to install this weekend and hope to use on Sunday for a chicken test drive before slightly smoking and cooking a turkey on Thanksgiving. 

Check out the Mad Max recipe for turkey, suppose to be awesome. This year will be my first smoking a turkey, instead of deep fryer it outside. Hopefully it will turn out at least as good, if not better. Been frying them for years, the whole process is such a mess, and I usually end up tossing the cooking oil before its time.

This should apply to your cooker also:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm

jermmd

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2008, 01:13 pm »
Bob,

Did you get the big one? Let me know how it turns out. I'm thinking of buying one as well. Do you feel it's worth $700 over slow cooking in the oven?

Joe