will software for motorala macs run on intel versions?

drphoto

I'm considering getting a new Macbook, but I'm wondering if my legacy software will run on the intel chip?

Crimson

Re: will software for motorala macs run on intel versions?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2008, 03:37 pm »
The behind-the-scenes Rosetta utility that runs on all Intel Macs performs PowerPC to Intel translation (not emulation or virtualization, but translation, a good thing). That said, here's a list of PowerPC applications compatibility.

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2008, 03:46 pm »
Most of the major applications are universal and will run on both. In CS4 all the apps will work except for their video editing package which will nly run on Intel based Macs. I believe that the OS to come Snow Leopard?? wont support PowerPCs.

I have a Quad core G5 2.5 which could run another 4 years with the apps I use, but I will probably end up getting a new MAcPro because I dont want to get left behind, and is part and parcel of apples evil plan.
Mike

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2008, 03:54 pm »
I forgot to mention: you said you're interested in a new MacBook. In case you didn't know this already, they don't have fire wire ports (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?). You'll have to go Pro if that's an issue.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2008, 03:35 am »
Crimson, I just found out today that the new Macbook doesn't have firewire.  :evil: I'd probably get that earlier version (the white one they still sell), as I don't want to spend $2K on a notebook. I hope people flame apple big time on this issue.

I was hoping I could run pshop cs3. would suck to have to shell out another $200 to upgrade to get the universal version.