Isolating Transformers

andyr

Isolating Transformers
« on: 15 Jan 2003, 08:04 pm »
Given the interest shown in the thread below on Power Cords, I was hoping some of the contributors - like, say, Dejan, Dan B and "audioengr" - might like to comment on whether isolating transormers are a good thing or not.

I have read:
*  they are a good thing because they "isolate your component from the mains" .... ie. they reduce the amount of mains grunge getting through.

However, I have also read:
*  they are bad because they constrict the ability of the component's power supply to grab power from the mains - ie. they prevent the power supply from acting as it was designed to do.

So, which is it?

I recently decided to puy a 1KVA isolating transformer because I had read somewhere that the Linn Lingo power supply needs to be isolated from the mains because it actually CREATES mains hash, which then stuffs up your other components (unless you put it on a separate mains spur)!!

Linn themselves, however, do not recommend an isolating transformer as they say it is a higher-impedance power source than the plain wall socket, so will degrade the effect the Lingo has on the LP12 turntable.

Regards,

Andy

Psychicanimal

Isolating Transformers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2003, 12:08 am »
Instead of just using an isolation transformer I would build a power strip--wired in parallel with cryogenic treated outlets.  Maybe you could get a used or demo PS AUdio Juice Bar.  I have one of these, as well as an Essence A/V Pro and *several* isolation transformers.  You could place the power supply w/ an isolation transformer, too.

randytsuch

Isolating Transformers
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2003, 01:06 am »
Andy,
A while ago, I bought a 1KVA Topaz ultra isolation transformer on Ebay, for maybe $20.  But the things is so heavy, costs about $20-30 more to ship it.
I wired it up for balanced power, which you can do that with some models of the Topaz.  The only issue here is you lose 1/2 of the power rating when wired up this way, so it becomes a 500VA transformer, instead of a 1000VA transformer, still plenty for what I wanted.
I hooked up my SACD 1000 to it, and did not really notice a diffence, but when I hooked up my amp to it, helped things.  Little blacker background.  To me, it was worth the money and time it took.

Randy

Ernest

Isolating Transformers
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:33 am »
Transcendant Sound sells a balanced power isolation thingy for I think $400 (less in a kit form) that I have and love.  I can plug everything into it, even my amps, but I've only really noticed a difference with my preamp, DAC, and CD player.  The sound became much more open and revealing of detail and the bass tightend up in a wonderful way.