Wireless connection priority setting

Don_S

Wireless connection priority setting
« on: 28 Oct 2008, 05:26 pm »
My laptop runs XP.  I use it 99% to operate a one-box music server where the music is stored on the player, not the laptop. The software is proprietary.  I use the laptop 1% to connect to the internet. 

Unfortunately I used it that 1% and now the laptop automatically connects to my Linksys router when it boots up.  Previously it connected to the music server automatically which is what I want.  It is a real pain when it connects to Linksys (internet) first and I have to wait for that to finish and then disconnect Linksys and reconnect to the server.

How can I reset the priority to the server so it will connect when I boot up?  When I select "view wireless networks" then "change the order of preferred networks" I can highlight the server but the "move up" and "move down" buttons are not active.  In other words, I have no way to make my selection permanent.  The laptop still connects to Linksys automatically when it boots up.  Please note that the server is completely independent of the Linksys router. I am either connected to the router or the music server.  The server does not use the Linksys, the connection is laptop>server. Help please.

*Scotty*

Re: Wireless connection priority setting
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2008, 08:30 pm »
You might look into setting the wireless service to manual instead of automatic. It should be possible to set Wireless Zero Configuration to manual via administrative tools in Control Panel.
Look for your Services shortcut. Right click Wireless Zero Configuration and go to properties select manual startup type. Other tips can be found here,
http://www.blackviper.com/
Scotty

Don_S

Re: Wireless connection priority setting
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2008, 01:25 am »
Thanks Scotty,  I figured it out.  It is stupid simple. 

When the Linksys router was connected I was opening the "view wireless networks" screen, selecting the music server and selecting "connect".  That worked fine to disconnect Linksys and get me connected to the server but never made it a priority.  Then I tried something different.  With the Linksys connected I opened "view wireless networks" and disconnected the Linksys before connecting the server.  When I selected disconnect for the Linksys, I got a message that if I did that Linksys would no longer be the priority when I restarted.  Well, that was exactly what I wanted to happen.

I never manually disconnected Linksys before because connecting to the music server automatically disconnected from Linksys. I was thrown off by the screen "change the order of preferred networks" that did not function. I kept trying to make that work.