Denon or Onkyo?

vektro

Denon or Onkyo?
« on: 19 Nov 2003, 05:36 am »
I can get an Onkyo tx-sr800 refurbished for about $30 less than a brand new Denon 3803. Which one is the way to go? Really only concerned with the processing, as I will be using external amps. Both units seem pretty nice. Any advice?

boxhead

Denon or Onkyo?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2003, 06:04 am »
I have an Onkyo TX-DS797B which I use with an Tube (Grommes) Amp for two channel. It has great processing and quite good amps for multichannel. Plus it has the second out for a seperate room which I use with the Grommes for 2 channel. I found that it's amp's are as powerful as the Denon at 8 ohms. Maybe 10 watts more but that will not matter in the realm of multichannel. You would have to go to a seperate amp with 200WPC to achieve a better sound. It would all depend on the speaks and the room as to what you would consider a theater sound. Remember that you will need twice as much power to achieve 3 dB of loudness. So 100 WPC will need 200WPC to get this for multichannel. Of course the speakers make a tremendous amount of difference to this kind of comparison. As well as room acoustics,reflectivity and boundaries help in this equasion. In the end, it all depends on what it sounds to you. Cheers.

vektro

Denon or Onkyo
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2003, 05:40 am »
Thanks for the advice. Just ordered a Denon 3803 from 6th Ave. Now I can start looking for a dvd player.