FS: Modified DCX2496 **SOLD**

mgalusha

FS: Modified DCX2496 **SOLD**
« on: 26 Oct 2008, 11:10 pm »
Sold - thanks for all the interest.

I told a friend I'd help him sell his modified Behringer DCX2496 since I did the mods for him.

Over the last year I've built several heavily modified DCX2496 crossovers. This particular unit was built and almost never used, as the owner decided to sell the speakers he was going to use it with right after the XO was completed.

The mods to this unit are as follows:

All analog input/output replaced with Jan Didden's active I/O stage from Linear Audio. This offers not only fabulous analog I/O but remote control of volume and balance and the ability to adjust the gain of the L/M/H amps in the analog domain.

Clock/Input Receiver/Sample Rate Converter replaced with a new piece designed by Frank Oettle of Germany. This provides a very good clock with a jitter spec of 2.6ps, a much improved input receiver to replace the stock Crystal chip which has a bug when receiving 2/496 data. The new daughter board includes two ultra quiet voltage regulators to ensure clean power for the clock.

DAC chips replaced with AKM4396 "miricle" DACS. Units currently being modified do not have these available as I cannot obtain them.

All electrolytic caps on DSP/Digital board replaced with Black Gate.

Digital input rerouted from BNC jack directly to input transformer and transformer terminated with 75ohm precision resistor instead of stock 110ohm AES/EBU termination.

DEXA ultra low noise 5V regulators on DSP/Digital board replace 7805 regulators to supply clean voltage for the digital and analog sections of the DAC chips.

Felix style power input filter.

Additional LC filtering added after PS on analog supply lines.

Hard Maple end panels replace the nasty rack mounting ears.

Universal remote included.

Since this is essentially new and fully modified the asking price is $1800 $1,600. Current price for all mods is $1,550 - $1,600 (no end plates) depending on the Euro and of course includes a DCX which the mod only price does not.

He has 6 months remaining on the warranty which I will honor.

To sweeten the deal he has 2 pair of Stereovox Collibri cables with XLR on end and RCA on the other. He had these custom made by Stereovox at a cost of $800. If purchased with the DCX he'll let them go for $400.

If you are interested please PM or email me. Note that I am not making anything on this sale, which is why I'm posting it in the trading post and not industry ads. Several other AC members own these and can comment on how they sound, or rather don't sound as they are quite good at getting out of the way. Normally mods for these take 6-8 weeks depending on parts availability and my schedule. This one is ready to go and has DAC's that are not included in the newer units.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

edit - updated price
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2008, 08:53 pm by mgalusha »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: FS: Modified DCX2496
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:05 am »
I can vouch not only for Mike's great skills in modifying the DCX (I have one of the first Mike built), but I think his customer service and communication skills are even more impressive!!

This a great unit, built by a great guy - highly recommended.   :thumb: :thumb:

George

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:54 am »
I hope someone buys this one quickly because I am insanely tempted (but can't swing the $$$ even though it's a very good deal).  Someone is going to get a very cool modded DCX for a very good price. 

J

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2008, 04:37 pm »
I've had several questions on the price as I was not very clear.  :duh:

Currently the mods run in the $1,550/$1,600 range. These do not include the DCX.

The current price for a DCX at fullcompass is $299

The asking price of $1,800 does include the DCX, this is about $100 less than buying a new one and having it modded.

Sorry for any confusion.

mike

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2008, 05:19 pm »
I've had several questions on the price as I was not very clear.  :duh:

Currently the mods run in the $1,550/$1,600 range. These do not include the DCX.

The current price for a DCX at fullcompass is $299

The asking price of $1,800 does include the DCX, this is about $100 less than buying a new one and having it modded.

Sorry for any confusion.

mike

Thanks Mike, I was reading quickly and my eye was drawn to the $800 number which I now know to be a reference to the cables.  Best of luck on the beautifully modded unit either way!

J

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2008, 06:00 pm »
Thanks Jack, I'm hoping it sells so the guy will buy me a beer or two for helping him. ;)

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2008, 07:30 pm »
Has there been any comparisons between this heavily modded DCX and a DEQX?

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2008, 08:22 pm »
Has there been any comparisons between this heavily modded DCX and a DEQX?

Not that I am aware of. It would be interesting though.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2008, 12:39 am »
Bump for a killer piece.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:54 pm »
The owner (Mike @ Tweekgeek) has put this up for sale on his site as well. http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Trade_Ins_Demo_Clearance/product/DCX2496/Heavily_modded_Behringer_DCX_2496_active_xover_EQ_and_analog_preamp.htm

Not sure if this will have to be moved to industry ads now. It's hie personal piece and not a product but not sure.