Referbishing Maple cutting board/chopping block

TerryO

Referbishing Maple cutting board/chopping block
« on: 26 Oct 2008, 08:08 pm »
This is probably slightly off topic, but I thought maybe I could get some help here.

I recently was given a roll around solid maple kitchen stand with a laminated cutting board on top. It seems (coincidentally) that this stand matches pretty close to the solid maple kitchen island that I use as a equipment rack in my listening room and would be just about right for a Turntable :nono:

I've sanded it down to 220 grit and would like to apply a finish that is actually safe for food preparation (sometime in the future?). The maple Equipment Stand/Kitchen Island isn't stained, so I would like a matching clear finish.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Referbishing Maple cutting board/chopping block
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2008, 08:25 pm »
Hey Terry,

Since you'll be preparing food, and ultimately eating the food that was on the wood I would not suggest using any type of coating (polyurethane, shellac etc...). This will chip off and little pieces will get in your food. Kinda like eating food prepared in a Teflon pan that's chipping away.
As far as I know, the best way to protect a natural wood surface that's designed for food preparation would be to give it an occasional coat of veggie/sunflower/olive oil. Let it soak in and reapply. No "Non natural" chemicals.

I'm curious to see what other suggestions there are.

Bob

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2008, 08:41 pm »
Common cooking oils go rancid, so do not use vegetable or olive oils.

A food grade mineral oil works, walnut oil, or a specifically made butcher block oil is what I recommend to my customers.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=butcher+block

Wayne

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2008, 08:55 pm »
I 2nd the mineral oil. I've refinished Boos butcher block maple bakers tables by sanding down till all the gouges are gone and applying a liberal coat of mineral oil and allowing to soak in for about 48 hours. If the wood takes it all in, apply another coat and wait again. You're done when the oil stays. Wipe off excess oil and you're in business. Here is a link to maintain your block.

http://www.johnboos.com/support/block_care_instructions.cfm

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:19 pm »
Oh....  :oops:
Thanks for the clairification guys....

Bob

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:38 am »
Absolutely NO tung oil!

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2008, 05:00 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

It just so happens that I drive past Woodcrafter's on my way home from work, so I'll stop by Monday (tomorrow) afternoon and get some of their Butcher Block oil.

Thanks again to all of you, I really appeciate it. :thumb:

Best Regards,
TerryO