James or anyone in the know...question about level matching.

govcon

So something I've been thinking about has me a bit perplexed.  I currently have a 6B-ST as my main amp powering the LCR speakers.  I also have a Carver TFM-25 I use for the rear surrounds.  My question is if going through the obligatory level calibration is enough to have the front and rear channels track the same in volume level on either side of the calibration point.  Or if the differences in input sensitivity of each amp not enough to really notice in actual use?

I've been contemplating purchasing another Bryston amp....maybe a 4B-SST or a 3B-SST to have a more perfectly matched system.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: James or anyone in the know...question about level matching.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2008, 02:22 pm »
So something I've been thinking about has me a bit perplexed.  I currently have a 6B-ST as my main amp powering the LCR speakers.  I also have a Carver TFM-25 I use for the rear surrounds.  My question is if going through the obligatory level calibration is enough to have the front and rear channels track the same in volume level on either side of the calibration point.  Or if the differences in input sensitivity of each amp not enough to really notice in actual use?

I've been contemplating purchasing another Bryston amp....maybe a 4B-SST or a 3B-SST to have a more perfectly matched system.

Thanks.

Hi govcon,

Yes as long as the levels at each speaker are the same with the 'Pink Noise' then the surround tracks will match the 'levels' of the LCR. You bring up a good point though as 'levels' are only one aspect of what is important when assembling a surround system.

Having the speakers match is critical (same phase, polarity, level, polar response etc,) especially the LCR. Beyond the speakers matching though matching the amplifiers characteristics in all channels is also important.  I have always found that identical speakers and identical amplifiers always do a better job of creating an immersing sound field around you with no holes in the sonic presentation.  I also find that the 'steering effects' and positioning of instruments and sound effects is much improved. 

Think of it this way - any 'two speakers' -- 'Center to Right speaker'.... 'Right speaker to Right surround speaker' .... 'Right surround speaker to Left surround speaker' are 'Stereo Pairs' so as we all know matching the stereo pairs is critical. 

james

govcon

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2008, 03:10 pm »
Thanks James for the quick reply.

So basically you're saying as long as all the speakers are level matched at the calibration point of my pre/pro, I should be ok.  I was a bit concerned that the rear surrounds wouldn't track exactly the same as the front speakers because I have two different amplifiers in use in my system.  To be a bit more clear, say the pre/pro is putting out .5V to all the channels.  Will the output for all the speakers be the same if the calibration was done say with the pre/pro putting out 1V during the calibration procedure?

Also, I'm with you about speaker matching.  The only regret I have is the purchase of my center speaker.  I have B&W speakers in my system.  The L/R mains and surrounds are all identical being the Nautilus 804 speakers.  The center is a HTM 1.  Although the HTM 1 uses the same driver compliment as the 804s, I can tell there are some differences in the tonal quality which can be heard when doing the pink noise calibration.  I think it's a combination of the horizontal cabinet arrangement, the sealed enclosure (where as the 804s use a ported cabinet), and the physical placement (being it's on top of an equipment rack.)  I have been trolling the various used market spots to see if there are any decent Nautilus 804 speakers out there near by me where I can hopefully do an in person inspection and purchase.  So far no luck.  But these are just minor gripes I have with my system as I'm actually pretty happy with the overall sound of the system.  To make the change to an identical center speaker is probably more trouble than it is worth right now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2008, 03:28 pm »
Thanks James for the quick reply.

So basically you're saying as long as all the speakers are level matched at the calibration point of my pre/pro, I should be ok.  I was a bit concerned that the rear surrounds wouldn't track exactly the same as the front speakers because I have two different amplifiers in use in my system.  To be a bit more clear, say the pre/pro is putting out .5V to all the channels.  Will the output for all the speakers be the same if the calibration was done say with the pre/pro putting out 1V during the calibration procedure?

Also, I'm with you about speaker matching.  The only regret I have is the purchase of my center speaker.  I have B&W speakers in my system.  The L/R mains and surrounds are all identical being the Nautilus 804 speakers.  The center is a HTM 1.  Although the HTM 1 uses the same driver compliment as the 804s, I can tell there are some differences in the tonal quality which can be heard when doing the pink noise calibration.  I think it's a combination of the horizontal cabinet arrangement, the sealed enclosure (where as the 804s use a ported cabinet), and the physical placement (being it's on top of an equipment rack.)  I have been trolling the various used market spots to see if there are any decent Nautilus 804 speakers out there near by me where I can hopefully do an in person inspection and purchase.  So far no luck.  But these are just minor gripes I have with my system as I'm actually pretty happy with the overall sound of the system.  To make the change to an identical center speaker is probably more trouble than it is worth right now.

Hi govcon,

Correct- the different sensitivities will not be an issue.

james

govcon

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2008, 03:34 pm »
Great!

Thanks again for the response.