An outing with film (and my first medium form factor)

BradJudy

As I mentioned in another thread, I dusted off a couple cameras I own, but have never used, got some film and went for a walk (and a subway ride). 

The first camera is a Kodak Duaflex II from the 1950's.  It's a no-brainer camera (no options to adjust), but it takes a while to get used to the reversed view of the world (trying to frame the shot is a bit tricky). 

The camera shop sold me a second 620 spool (I only had one) and put some 120 film onto it for me.  All of the shots I took with this camera were in the historic Oakland Cemetery here in Atlanta. 

Probably my favorite of the cemetery pictures:

The other camera is a Canon (Bell/Howard branded) Canonet 19 from the 1960's.  While it has a shutter-speed priority auto mode, it only goes up to ASA 200 and I was running 400TX film, so I was on my own.  This was my first time running fully manual with no light meter (my main 35mm is a Canon AT-1, so I'm used to doing manual, but it has a built-in light meter).  I checked the tables for 400 film and went out on a sunny day, so I just left it at 1/500 sec and spent most of my time at f11 and 8.  I only did a touch of indoor stuff and that's certainly trickier.  In theory, I should be able to do some decent stuff with 400 film and an f1.9 lens, so I'll have to try it again.  Oh yeah, some of the photos weren't in focus because it was the first time I had used a manual focus range finder camera and I forgot to focus the first few shots.  :)

From the Confederate section of the cemetary:

And the Jewish section:

Are railroad tracks too much of a photo cliche?

Hand-held self-portrait

Table-top indoor self portrait (best try out of three)  Hey, the shutter timer still works.

After scanning both the prints and negatives, I'm not super happy with the shop's print job on the 35mm.  There was definitely a loss of detail. 

I'll come back to this thread when I get a chance to take the old Argus A2B out for a spin. 

Edit - swapped one out for a better scan.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2008, 02:28 am by BradJudy »

mjosef

Re: An outing with film (and my first medium form factor)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2008, 02:58 am »
Wow...nice tones...gotta love that look, so timeless, could have been taken 100 years ago.
Congrats.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:51 am »
Love it :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2008, 02:18 pm »
Thanks guys.  It's been a fun exercise, particularly now that I have a scanner that I can do prints and negs on (Epson V500).  I haven't tweaked these scans at all and I might play with levels a bit on some. 

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2008, 09:13 pm »
Scanning B&W film from Prague now (just returned from a friend's wedding there)....

BradJudy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2008, 02:29 am »
I rescanned the RR tracks and self-portrait above without ICE and they are now more detailed.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2008, 03:54 am »
Hey!

Nice! :D Those shots from the Duaflex with the softness of the lens really lend itself to a unique feel to them.

As for the self-portrait. I like the last one, look like something from the 50's. :D

Good to see some old film cams in action. :cool:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: