Excellent review of the de Cappo i in new Stereophile

Terry

Art Dudley gives an excellent review of the de Cappo in the December issue of Stereophile. I think it is one of the better reviews that Dudley has done of late and it is definitely worth a read. It is a very enthusiastic review and he concludes by saying the nothing (nothing) will prepare you for how good the de Cappo's will sound. I also found the measurements by Atkinson to be very instructive as they definitely shed some light on the characteristics heard from this speaker. Look it up!

cyounkman

new review
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2003, 03:02 am »
Hmm... Are they the last magazine on earth to review this speaker?

Can't wait to read it... December issue isn't out yet (here, anyway), so I'll have to wait. Those measurements should be interesting. Too bad they didn't review the last model; the comparison of the two measurements could have been very informative.

Val

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2003, 05:37 pm »
I wouldn't call it excellent. Dudley liked the speakers but there were some problems with big resonances that probably cause the big 900Hz bump I have also seen in previous de Capo measurements (in Soundstage, if I remember well).

Val

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2003, 06:56 pm »
Well, I think Dudley's written review was overwhelmingly positive, but the measurements weren't so great, so I guess let's call it a good review.  

Regardless of how much AD loves the De Capo I's, which he clearly does if you read his review,  the measurements they received all but ensure they won't be on the recommended components list.  If they are, it will be with strong caveats for the measurements, etc.

brucegel

Here we go again with specs...
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2003, 07:50 pm »
I suppose now is as good a time as any to say this.As a recording engineer (part time) and a musician with a number of early music groups and an employee/manager of the fundraising dept. at the Seattle Symphony no one I know listens to specs.I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of folks who listened to/purchased the decaps thought they sounded more like live music than any monitor they previously encountered and that is why we are gathered here today on this site, amen.I can tell you some great stories about acoustic decisions various artists have made at Benaroya Hall and the mic choices that make you wonder if any one can hear anything at all but I would piss off too many folks.So where does this leave us with this review?...in exactly the same place that we were before the review and that is... that the decapo is a remarkably great recreator of the live experience.Viva la 900hz hump!Perhaps Monsieur Dehay knows something about humps other speaker designers should learn,eh?

Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2003, 10:47 pm »
Nicely put--I agree 100%.

Jon

J North

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2003, 11:18 pm »
I read a review of a speaker (can't remember which one) a few months ago that had *excellent* measurements.

The reviewer, though, did not like how it sounded and found it lifeless.

Go figure.

Terry

Re: Here we go again with specs...
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2003, 11:33 pm »
"]I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of folks who listened to/purchased the decaps thought they sounded more like live music than any monitor they previously encountered and that is why we are gathered here today on this site, amen."

Absolutely! I could not agree more.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2003, 01:39 am »
Just ordered a pair for a client of mine who read the review, and also became a dealer.  Can't wait to give them a listen.

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2003, 02:56 pm »
John,

That's cool you have become a Reference 3a dealer.  Best of luck with that endeavor.

Michael

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2003, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
John,

That's cool you have become a Reference 3a dealer.  Best of luck with that endeavor.

Michael

Yes,  of course my primary line is VMPS, but being in Los Angeles, I get requests for many brands, (in fact I offer 20 or 30 all together).

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2003, 11:09 pm »
John,

It will be interesting to hear your impressions of the MM De Capo I.  I've heard two different VMPS speakers (the RM40 and 626R) and was mightily impressed by both, especially when you factor in price.  I guess the 626R is the speaker that is more comparable to the De Capo I.  I could live with either, though I think the bass of VMPS is certainly more extended and the highs may be more airy.  They don't image quite as well as the De Capo I's and the midrange of the De Capo I's is definitely more involving IMO.  However, your comparison will be more meaningful because I've only heard the 626R in a friend's system, so all the factors that could be resulting in the different sounds I heard could be system, room, cable factors, etc.

Michael

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2003, 01:28 am »
Doesn't look like I'll be doing any A/B soon since these (delivered today) are already out for installation in the clients home.

Maybe in the future I'll get to spend some solid time with them.  Then I can report :D

brucegel

STEREOPHILE REVIEW
« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2003, 08:52 pm »
I just finished reading the review which was quite flattering.Skip the meaningless response graphs and concentrate on the text only and you will see that Art Dudley has caught the bug like we all have for these gems.