PMC Big Guns Tour

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
PMC Big Guns Tour
« on: 25 Oct 2008, 07:22 pm »
Hi All,

Got this today and thought Steve's question was one others would be interested in.

"Hi James,

Heard the BCD-1/BP26/4BSST with EB2’s at the PMC Big Guns tour recently…WOW!

Why doesn’t the BCD-1/BDA-1 have an option to be powered from the MPS2? I’m sure there must be a good reason, but it just seems to make sense to me…?"

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Originally we were going to power the Bryston BCD-1 CD Player and the BDA-1 External DAC with the MPS-2 Power Supply but in designing the CD Player we found that we got much better performance if we totally separated the power supplies and ground planes of the digital and analog sections inside the player.

So totally separating the analog and digital circuitry was not an option with a single external power supply feed to the CD Player or the External DAC. Both the Bryston CD Player and External DAC have totally independent regulated power supplies for the Analog and Digital sections as well as completely independent circuit paths and ground planes.

James

mclsound

Re: PMC Big Guns Tour
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2008, 08:13 pm »
hi James
EB2??????????????????????????????
john

niels

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2008, 10:08 pm »
Just read the HIFIChoice magazine briefly at the dealer today, and I believe its the EB2 (expensive!) that got a lot of praise there, along with 28B SST in another review......

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2008, 11:04 pm »
hi James
EB2??????????????????????????????
john

Hi John,

I'm guessing it's an update from the EB1?

james

b5pt9

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2008, 11:07 pm »
and I believe its the EB2 (expensive!)

PMC = Profit Margin Corporation?  :lol:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2008, 07:23 am »
What is this all about i.e. the "big guns tour."

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2008, 10:36 am »

IntoTheVoid

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2008, 10:45 am »
Also had a chance to listen to a pair of 28's driving MB2XBD ... OMG!!

The Big Guns Tour was a UK promo in September where they brought out...the big guns.
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/feature.php?mode=viewFeature&feature_id=35

Steve

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:27 pm »

Dokter_doug

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2008, 06:33 pm »
I currently have a set up designed, primarily for 2 channel listening, with IB1 mains, but also have a CB6 centre, LB1 classic surrounds, and an LB1 classic rear centre speaker for both home theatre and SACD multichannel listening. And I'm one of those folks who insist that a well mixed (both recorded and playback) multichannel SACD is a wondrous sound experience, and, IMO, better than a 2 channel CD of similar quality - but just my opinion. (Current sysyem includes Linn Unidisk, McIntosh MC 501's for power, McIntosh MX 119 processor - I apologize if mentioning McIntosh is considered bad form in the Bryston forum - I also own a pair of older Bryston 7BST's).

I was thinking of upgrading my main/front speakers to IB2's via a private sale. Would the EB1i's be an "upgrade" for the mains (over IB1's), and if so, would they be a better upgrade than the IB2's?

Thank you.

Doug Coleman

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2008, 08:29 pm »
Hi Doug,

I would vote for the IB2 as you are getting the better midrange unit.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2008, 10:39 am »
the IB2 would be better on the mids, the EB1i probably more extended in the bass, with a more natural tweeter... though whether either one is a substantial upgrade from IB1 vs the additional cash is something only you can determine... audition both if you can.

On a side note, I'd probably get some new BP26/7B-SST or 14B-SST for all of the above speakers.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2008, 06:29 pm »
Thank you for your responses and advice. It was sort of how I was inclined, but had never heard the EB's

Doug

b5pt9

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2008, 09:55 pm »
I'm a bass junky so I know what I would do: EB1's due to the considerably longer transmission line.  Considering my IB1's sound great, by generating tones through my laptop -> BDA-1 USB input I was a little surprised how sharply they roll off below 35Hz.