BRYSTON 10B-SUB

drummermitchell

BRYSTON 10B-SUB
« on: 24 Oct 2008, 12:06 am »
Hi,I am thinking of connecting a 10B-sub Xover(just for my velodyne DD-15) to see if I can get more of what I like out of her.

How does that effect my passion for movies.An Audio dealer suggested I purchase a REL stentor III instead of the X-over.
My mains are revel 50as(passive internal Xover).I am using my digital bypass in my Arcam av-8 for music and of course the sub for movies.
I,m hoping That I can use the Xover for both :scratch:I'm lost hear,Thanks guys,Don

drummermitchell

Re: BRYSTON 10B-SUB
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:02 am »
Okay let me try this,I'm running my sub to  the LFE input(for movies)
and I use the stereo direct for my music(Bypasses any effects +sub)
I use a velodyne DD-15 and I am using the crossover in my AV-8 @50Hz

I want to get more quality bass out of my system,I thought if I integrated a10B-sub Xover(somehow)
That I could make a huge upgrade,Any thoughts would be APPRECIATED,thanks

jethro

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2008, 10:19 pm »
Don:

At the moment are you using the sub with movies but are unable to use your sub with 2-channel music
because you need help with connections ?

I'm going to look up your sub's manual on the net in the meantime.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:30 pm »
Thanks Jethro,I do run my BCD-1 direct and bypass the processing.I probably don't express myself quite proper.
I know i can't use the sub if I'm running direct.I like what I have for sound now,I want to improve it more,so I thought maybe
I can bypass the sub Xover(which I can)and install a10B-subXover.James asked me to call him monday morning and hopefully we
can improve on what I have.I know the Velodyne is good,but If I can squeeze more out of her with a 10B,i'll do it.
My audio store suggested I go to a rel sub.Maybe another DD-15(for movies)+the other+10B for music.
I gotta tell yah all this in a 11X12 Livrm(WAY OVERKILL,but if we add on or buy a bigger house,I'm ready).
She takes up 12' wall.If I can get more QUALITY BASS,then she's good.

I found by taking the sub out and using the 50as(only)I get alot of meat on the bottom end.
I know the BCD-1 helped tremendously on that one.I was running the sub at 50Hz.
If I could get that type of slam with the 10B on my sub,Then I think I'd be satisfied,for now,maybe.

WHAT AN ADDICTIVE HOBBY OR OBSSESION or is that posessed,my head is spinning 78rpm

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm »
Hi Don,

So better bass with both the Surround setup and the Stereo Bypass setup is what your looking for?

Integrating a 10B into the system so that it allows you to bypass the crossover in your Surround preamp and also allows you to use the Sub with your Main stereo speakers through the 10B is what your asking?

james

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2008, 02:07 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:29 pm »
'I found by taking the sub out and using the 50as(only)I get alot of meat on the bottom end.'

Hi Don,

Based on your above comment I think the problem is more one of the wrong placement of the sub you have.  Generally if the bass quality improves when you remove the sub it means that the high end of the sub frequencies and the low end frequencies of the Main Speakers are interacting in a negative way.  The phase relationships between the lower end of the mains and the upper end of the sub frequencies is critical - especially if the mains are running Fullrange.

This phase relationship between the sub and mains is a function of rolloff slopes, frequency point and placement. So before you go spending a lot of cash maybe try placing your sub in a different location and/or play with the crossover point.   

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2008, 02:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies James.I know my room is small.Can the 10B be integrated when I'm bypass.
I do like what I'm getting for sound now and i do like the bypass mode as everything is more refined.
My speakers are set to small.I'm just thinking that the 10B would be more refined than the DDs Xover and the AV-8 X- over
If she can be integrated in bypass.i'm trying to get that feeling and sound as I have with the Torus,
Use to riding the Honda 90 and upgraded to the 1200 harley,hard to explain that feeling of AUTHORITY on the bottom.
All that meat on the kick in bypass,it'd be better that sex if could be coming thru the sub the same way.

OOPS,The wife is coming in,Thanks.

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2008, 02:13 pm »
I'LL CALL MONDAY JAMES,10:00 AM your Time,Thanks.

jethro

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2008, 09:35 pm »
Don:

I was going to say that you could try the speaker-level inputs on your sub in bypass mode
to see if the sub integrated better with your mains, but I don't see any speaker-level outputs
on the sub. Perhaps other owners of DD's could chime in.

Have you also calibrated your sub's eq (or disabled) it ?

HTH, Steve

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2008, 11:38 pm »
Hi Jethro,I do have speaker level on the DD-15,and I am bypassing the subs X-over and just using the .1
input,and using the AV-8 Xover-60Hz.Even though my room is small 11X12,all I'm trying to do is improve
what i have.I do like running direct as the 50as,BCD-1,7b-ssts do give me what I like to hear,meat on the kick,deep soundstage ect.I thought purchasing a 10B could give me more of what I'm hearing direct.
If that could be transfered to the sub(Excellant).I did chat with James,iwas running the 50as(small)and as they go down into the 30s.James suggested i put them to Large and see If that helps.I do like it better.I know now if I run direct I can't use the sub(that's fine I guess)But she's fine for movies.
I imagine if i got 2Xdd-15s,I could use those in stereo with the 10B,Frig,I'm gonna have to knock out a wall or two.
Jethro,Thanks for taking the time out to help me out.AS James says we don't want quantity of bass,
we want QUALITY,and more of it,Thanks again,Don :D

jethro

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2008, 01:45 am »
Hi Don:

I was never happy using a sub with my old speakers when listening to 2-channel music.
I know it can be done -- I just didn't have much success.
I upgraded to PMC IB-1's and I don't need the sub anymore except for the LFE channel
when watching movies.

--Steve