Why does Bryston use coaxial shielded cable in its RCA interconnects?

templetune

Hello James

I need to acquire some good RCA interconnects to use with my Bryston and as I need five pairs I'm going to have to make them myself or risk precipitating a new financial crisis. I thought I could do worse than to copy the Bryston design more or less. That design is - as I have surmised from various posts - Canare 75 ohm coaxial cable finished with a variant of the Neutrik Profi plugs.

I'm cool with the Neutriks. But I started to wonder whether there was a particular engineering reason that I don't understand for the choice of coaxial cable rather than, say, a shielded twisted pair. I would have thought that the latter would be the ultimate in unbalanced interconnects.

Sure, it probably makes no difference - I've been using plain coaxial RCAs forever and only ever had one hum loop issue with them - but I'm still thinking there might be some positive reason for the choice of coaxial cable.

Thanks James for all your good posts here.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hello James

I need to acquire some good RCA interconnects to use with my Bryston and as I need five pairs I'm going to have to make them myself or risk precipitating a new financial crisis. I thought I could do worse than to copy the Bryston design more or less. That design is - as I have surmised from various posts - Canare 75 ohm coaxial cable finished with a variant of the Neutrik Profi plugs.

I'm cool with the Neutriks. But I started to wonder whether there was a particular engineering reason that I don't understand for the choice of coaxial cable rather than, say, a shielded twisted pair. I would have thought that the latter would be the ultimate in unbalanced interconnects.

Sure, it probably makes no difference - I've been using plain coaxial RCAs forever and only ever had one hum loop issue with them - but I'm still thinking there might be some positive reason for the choice of coaxial cable.

Thanks James for all your good posts here.

Hi,

Twisted-pair type of cable is useful to cancel common-mode noise on a balanced input, but has no advantage into an unbalanced input. 

In an unbalanced system, coaxial cable is used to minimize the capacitance on the cable, as this best preserves the high frequencies of the signal.

james

Daniel Datchev

Hello,
owning B100 SST means that I have to use RCA connections.
Would be helpful to use Jensen transformers in order to avoid ground loops
in my system. Have anyone experience Jensen transformers or any other eliminating methods.
Daniel

NewBuyer

Hello,
owning B100 SST means that I have to use RCA connections.
Would be helpful to use Jensen transformers in order to avoid ground loops
in my system. Have anyone experience Jensen transformers or any other eliminating methods.
Daniel

Yes Jensen transformers are an excellent solution for avoiding ground loops and seem to improve the overall sonic presentation as well.  Highly recommended.