Things you should or should not hear

lord_glum

Things you should or should not hear
« on: 19 Oct 2008, 06:16 pm »
Don't know if this has been posted before or not but I always wonder what 'things' we are not suppose to hear on cds (LP collection isn't that big).  Example...on Zepplin's track Ocean, on the version I have there are conversations that are going on in the beginning that I never heard on the radio or noticed before I updgraded.  I was curious of other hidden nuggest other members have found. 

Dave matthes grave digger has allot of talking through the first 30 seconds.
Zepp Ocean, talking in the first couple seconds.

Thanks,
Jvo

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: Things you should or should not hear
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2008, 06:09 pm »
Tool-Undertow

Every track from 1-8 has something quiet just before each song begins.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2008, 06:38 pm »
I never heard on the radio or noticed before I updgraded.
Hmmm, new speakers doing well for you I assume?   :wink:
Other than your new speakers, what other upgrades have you made?

I've got a classical recording (somewhere), that you can hear papers shuffling in the background. It gives the impression the recording was done in a office setting. At one point, you can hear a pencil roll off a desk and bounce on a hard floor. Obviously it shouldn't be in the recording, but it's neat to hear things like that (but not very often).
There's several guitar tracks I've got where you can hear the guitarist breathing. A couple of them sound like they should have had a dose of nasal decongestant before they pressed [RECORD].  :lol:

Hole Cole "Temptation" has a tremendous amount of "little hidden things" that can't be heard if you listen to the CD while driving. Every time I listen to this release, I hear a new "tidbit" of information I hadn't heard before.

That's all I can think of right now, but I know there's more.
Bob

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2008, 08:37 pm »
A few months ago I listened to The Beatles "White Album." During the song "I Will" I noticed the bass line was Paul singing "doo doo doo" for the bass line instead of playing his bass guitar. It blew me away that I had never noticed it before but I hadn't listened to that album for years. If I think of others I'll chime in but that was an eye opener as it would be hard to figure how many times I have listened to that album.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2008, 08:45 pm »
Don't know if this has been posted before or not but I always wonder what 'things' we are not suppose to hear on cds (LP collection isn't that big).  Example...on Zepplin's track Ocean, on the version I have there are conversations that are going on in the beginning that I never heard on the radio or noticed before I updgraded.  I was curious of other hidden nuggest other members have found. 

Dave matthes grave digger has allot of talking through the first 30 seconds.
Zepp Ocean, talking in the first couple seconds.

Thanks,
Jvo

Stuff your not suppose to hear. The one that immediately comes to mind is Child in Time- Made in Japan. After the second chorus you can hear what sounds like swearing and a argument over probably smoking pot. This can probably be heard on most players but doubt hearing it on the radio.

On the Scorpians- Acoustica, Dust in the Wind on a high resolution source. You can hear what sounds like a beer bottle smash. But you have to know exactly where it is in the song or you'll miss it. I know I have trying to find it again.

Other stuff you're suppose to hear but might not. On JP- Nostradamus, Persecution, the song opens with a whisper Satanic like voice.
 Background instruments like bassoon, harps, vocals. On the Blue Man- Complex concert DVD, the song, I Feel Love. I can hear the Baratone vocals behind the lead singer which I never heard until I transfered and played on my cd player.

« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2008, 09:47 pm by Mag »

lord_glum

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2008, 09:57 pm »
SI's aren't running yet  Mr St louis.  :lol:  I usually run single driver horns.  Upgrade is an understatement.  I have replaced my entire system.

I also notice on NIN closer there is an entire higher freq. line throughout the song.  Most of my listening is radio based anywho.

Thanks,
Jvo

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2008, 10:11 pm »
OH!!! ok, gotcha.
If you're listening to radio now.....just wait for the good stuff!
CDs are much better.

Bob

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2008, 06:02 pm »
One of the best has to be "Black Country Woman" by Led Zeppelin, you can hear an airplane in the beginning and someone says something about starting over and Page replies "Nah, leave it!"

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2008, 06:38 pm »
Glen Gould's audible humming on the 1981 recording of Bach's "Goldberg Variations" has always struck me as a genuine addition that truly added to the enjoyment.  There are plenty of critics who were turned off by this.
Keth Jarrett's sometimes weird vocalizations during many pieces does tend to put me off, however.  Not a comment on the quality of his playing.
There are a couple of cat screeches on Leon Redbone's "On the Track" LP, which is a studio work and I always wonder if the take was just so good that they left it in or if it is evidence of the playful nature of the recording.