DIY amp question

lord_glum

DIY amp question
« on: 19 Oct 2008, 02:39 pm »
I am building a 2A3 amp.  Hammond 302ax power TX.  I got the schematic back in the day and I can't find it on the net anywhere.  Lucky I printed it out. 

I was running my filimant wiring this morning and stumbled on something...the amp pulls power from the center tap of the (5z3) 5v taps on the power TX.  This is the first time i noticed this.  How common is this?

Also, what is the difference if i ground the center taps or not?  I see some schematics that have resistors and caps tied off the center tap, some grounded and some not connected.

Thanks,
Jvo

floobydust

Re: DIY amp question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2008, 06:53 am »
 Perhaps scan and post the schematic for more useful feedback. As for the center-taps.... few power transformers have a center-tapped rectifier winding. If you are using directly heated rectifiers like 5U4, 5R4, etc., then using the center-tap for B+ is a great idea. If you're using indirectly heated rectifier like 5V4, 5AR4 (aka GZ32 and GZ34 respectively), then you should not use the center-tap as these have the cathode attached directly to one of the filament ends.

You need to better understand how the circuit works.... you simply can't assume that center-taps go to a particular tie-point. In many designs, the filaments have been raised above ground potential for various reasons, such as moving them away from ground, which can reduce hum coupling and/or ensure that the cathode to filament voltage rating is not compromised for certain tubes based on normal operating voltages, i.e., phase inverters could easily have more than 100 volts on the cathode.

With the 2A3, you really need to examine how it is biased. If cathode bias is used (very common) then the center-tap (if there is one) would traditionally be tied to ground via the cathode bias resistor. However, in some designs the center-tap for the 2A3 (and other DHTs) is unused as they employ a hum-balance potentiometer which in turn has the cathode resistor (and possibly the cathode bypass capacitor) from the wiper to ground.

So, unless "we" can examine the schematic, there's no easy and/or clear answer to your question.

Regards, KM

lord_glum

Re: DIY amp question
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2008, 11:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  I will post the schematic later tonight. 
Jvo