Master and Commander

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Master and Commander
« on: 17 Nov 2003, 11:12 pm »
Excellent movie if you like historical dramas. Also naval strategy. There was supposedly a $120 million budget and I think they spent it on wood, canvas and rope, exactly duplicating life on a ship in 1805.

Excellent period music too. Violin and Cello, as played in the captains cabin in their free time. Men after my own heart! I will be getting the DVD and soundtrack. My friend tells me there are 2 CDs of music from the book series.

bubba966

Master and Commander
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2003, 11:20 pm »
Moved to the Cinema from the HT circle.

I've not yet seen this. Everyone I know but me seems to be interested in seeing it. I'm not really in a movie watching mood lately though. So I'm guessing that's why I've got low interest in catching it.

I see a listed budget of $135,000,000. Will be interesting to see where that all went when I get around to watching this.

Tonto Yoder

Master and Commander
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2003, 04:51 am »
Quote from: bubba966

I've not yet seen this. Everyone I know but me seems to be interested in seeing it.

Reminds me of an anecdote that Roger Ebert told about his career: someone asked him about Bergman's "Cries & Whispers" (which was currently playing theaters) and he answered, "It's the finest movie of the year." They responded, "Oh, that doesn't sound like something we'd like."

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Master and Commander
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2003, 04:54 am »
I'm pretty anxious to see it, just my kinda flick.  The reveiws have been pretty positive, and I'm a sucker for any type of period war/adventure movie.

IanATC

M&C
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2003, 05:43 am »
I can't wait to see it! It begins next weekend in the UK.  I was soundly disappointed (and nearly nodded off twice)  by Matrix reloaded.  But Master and commander looks more up my alley, a cracking-good (hopefully) character study with action throw in.  Not simply 2 hours of CGI and pointless dialog. :|

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Master and Commander
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2003, 06:11 am »
I am definitely going to see it again soon.

One thing I forgot to mention, which attests to the detail they strove for...As the movie begins, you hear the sound of the wind whipping the sails. It is a rhythmic sound, which my mind identified as a scratched soundtrack on an old reel of film. I thought I was in for a poorly shown film with the sound screwed up - and it was a really nice theater. Then I didn't notice the offending sounds any longer...until the cloing credits. All through the lengthy credits behind the music, you hear the ocean wind whipping through the rigging in the background! It took my friend telling me what it was, then it was really cool  8)

Woodsea

Master and Commander
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2003, 07:03 am »
I am going to watch this one with my wife and dad, next month.  We all love period and nautical pieces.