can I bi-amp using 9bst and sp1

effula

can I bi-amp using 9bst and sp1
« on: 18 Oct 2008, 12:07 am »
Is this possible? Any risk involved? I would like to hook up two channels to each of my Dynaudio Contour s5.4 speakers. If possible, please let me know how to do it. Thanks in advance!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: can I bi-amp using 9bst and sp1
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:57 pm »
Is this possible? Any risk involved? I would like to hook up two channels to each of my Dynaudio Contour s5.4 speakers. If possible, please let me know how to do it. Thanks in advance!

Hi effula,

Sorry I just saw this.

If you mean use two channels per speaker independently to the woofer and tweeter - that is not a problem. You would have to send both channels to each speaker the same signal from the preamp of course.

james

audio 1

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2008, 07:34 pm »
The Dynaudio Contour S5.4 has single binding posts thus it is not bi-wire capable.  So bi-amping this speaker would not be an option, however bridging an amp to it is a different story.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2008, 08:01 pm »
The Dynaudio Contour S5.4 has single binding posts thus it is not bi-wire capable.  So bi-amping this speaker would not be an option, however bridging an amp to it is a different story.

Thanks for that clarification Audio1.
If you want to bridge 2 channels of a 9B you need a special custom bridging cable we can do up for you.  Be careful though because when you bridge an amplifier the impedance it 'sees' is 1/2 of the normal value.

james

effula

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:11 am »
The "be careful" scares me. Are you concerned about damaging the amp? It's a 9bst. If you are worried, i am WORRIED! lol.

As for the dynaudio speakers they are 4ohm. Maybe I will just enjoy with non-bridging. I was just hoping to crank up the juice "safely" as dyns like power.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:24 am »
The "be careful" scares me. Are you concerned about damaging the amp? It's a 9bst. If you are worried, i am WORRIED! lol.

As for the dynaudio speakers they are 4ohm. Maybe I will just enjoy with non-bridging. I was just hoping to crank up the juice "safely" as dyns like power.

Hi effula,

You will not damage the amp but into low impedances the amp would be trying to deliver large amounts of current and would clip the musical waveform if pushed which could damage the speaker.

james

effula

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:32 am »
Damn, dont make me buy a 4b-sst or 6b-sst. I haven't hooked everything up, but I am sure the 9bst will do well non-bridged. Appreciate the input. Bryston forever!

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:02 am »
Damn, dont make me buy a 4b-sst or 6b-sst. I haven't hooked everything up, but I am sure the 9bst will do well non-bridged. Appreciate the input. Bryston forever!

Hi effula,

We wont, but you should. I've the smaller Contour 1.3MKIIs and ran them for a few years with a 3BST and found them a bit laid back, with the the 4BSST it was just the right amount of power to wake them up. The 3BST was more than enough power for loud playing without any distortion but the 4BSST, even at the same volume just does something special.

Robert