ps audio older amp question

MediaSeth

« on: 15 Jan 2003, 06:23 pm »
Should I bother with a 70/70 wpc PS Audio 2C+ Power Amp from 1986?  I'm intrigued by its outboard power supply and the fact that I can afford it.  Otherwise, I have absolutely no info on this one.   I currently have a NAD C350 and B&W 603.s3's

Thanks!

randytsuch

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2003, 07:46 pm »
Hey Seth,
The older PS audio stuff was designed by Stan Warren.  After PS Audio, Stan went to Superphon, and then went into the modding business.

The PS audio amps and preamps were good value in its time, not sure how it compares to the new stuff now.

Randy

MediaSeth

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:23 am »
I may pick it up and then sell it if it doesn't do anything for me. There's surprisingly little info available on it.

MediaSeth

So I picked it up...
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2003, 09:34 pm »
The detatched power supply unit is heavy.  I figure that with 14 days to return it if it doesn't do it for me I may as well.  It as only $160!

Without warmup and crappy cables connecting to the NADC350, bass does seem to have a tad more authority anyway..could it be 70 vs 60 watts?  The nad bass was a little hollow.  Imaging is better, but there's less depth.  Of course, this is after it was sitting on the shelf in a store for a longish time.  

The power supply box does vibrate slightly and there's a slightly audible hum.  I wonder if that can be dealt with.  If it was in the actual amp case, I'd return it.  How normal is that, anyway?  My NAD 7140 does that a bit, as did other older stuff I had (shrug).

I'm thinking about calling Stan Warren since he at least probably co-designed it to see what he thinks about simple mods or whatnot.

Why is there so little info on the ps audio 2c+ anyway?  There seems to be a big deal about their older pre-amps.  Maybe I should get one of those :)