Squeezebox Receiver and Nokia 770

tonyptony

Squeezebox Receiver and Nokia 770
« on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:54 pm »
Been happily using my SB3 with my Nokia 770 palm computer. I'd like to consider an option to use a SB Receiver (part of the Duet), but will I be able to control it from my 770 which would be running the SqueezeCenter program off my base PC?

MerlinWerks

Re: Squeezebox Receiver and Nokia 770
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2008, 12:52 pm »
Are you getting just the receiver? I'm reasonably certain that once you get it configured with the SBR tool, you should be able to control it like a regular SB. At least I hope so, I just got one yesterday and intend to control it with JRMC + plugin from my HTPC.

tonyptony

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2008, 04:51 pm »
Thanks for the info, Merlin. What's the SBR tool?

MerlinWerks

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2008, 08:01 pm »
It's a command line script written by a fellow on the SlimDevices forum that allows you to configure a SqueezeBox Receiver (SBR) without having the SqueezeBox Controller from the Duet system. Most of the configuration has to do with network setup. You also need to download a Perl runtime environment from ActiveState (free) , similar to downloading a Java environment. Details can be found here and here. To download the script, look for a link in the middle of the page, about 2/3 of the way down titled "Zipped Archive" on this page.

Robin was turning this into a SC plugin but that hasn't happened yet, so you do need to be a bit computer/network savvy to go this route, but it is supposed to work pretty well, I'll find out tonight or tomorrow :wink:

I think the simplest setup is to use the SBR wired on a network with a router configured for DHCP. In that case, I believe the commands under "Receiver Setup Procedure" near the bottom of Robin's page are all you should need. From there you should be able to control it through Squeeze Center by any existing means.

tonyptony

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2008, 11:25 pm »
Tremendous! Thanks for all the help!