Cornet2 with FT-3 teflons installed

WGH

Re: Cornet2 with FT-3 teflons installed
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2008, 06:39 pm »
Time for an update. The FT-3's have mellowed and have sonically disappeared, the Mundorf magic is back. I didn't listen during the break-in process but I did notice a lot more detail throughout the entire frequency range when they were first installed. The FryKleaner did its magic and after 30 hours the teflons have settled in nicely.

Bass has more definition, there is a certain je ne sais quoi quality that is hard to describe - drum heads quiver, stand up bass has more body.

Dynamics are enhanced, music seem louder - but when the volume it turned up the sound is never harsh or too bright.

Highs are more natural sounding and are now more prominent in the mix, or maybe they just sound more prominent because they are now so clear. Music is not tipped up like a cheap speaker screaming for attention, but I would guess more like what the producer heard when mixing the master tape.

Perhaps there is a very slight loss of roundness, which I would attribute to a tightening up if the bass and mid-bass. I like it but ymmv.

Looking forward to other peoples reports and what cap combination's work best for them.

Wayne

tubesforever

« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2008, 07:02 am »
WGH

So how is it all sounding a week after you posted last time?

BTW I think your overall summary of the teflons is exactly what I hear in my system.  Teflons are likely to be a system dependent type of thing, but it is good to hear others achieving similar results to my own.

Also again Kudo's for building such awesome wood cap supports for the smaller half rack Lansing case.  Your supports look and function perfectly! 

Cheers!

wdi

• know just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:06 pm »
Wayne, I just clicked on your link to your woodworking site.....wow! I was thinking that making your wood holders would be a challenge for me given the tools in my possession; but I see that this was nothing for you!

Needless to say, I'm impressed!

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:09 pm »
wdi, thanks for the compliment. I am working on a 9' tall Moorish door, one of these weeks I'll have to add more photos to my site.

Tubes, I haven't had a chance to listen much during the last week, the sound has pretty much stabilized and I don't expect any further changes.

Thursday night is when I listen to KXCI, it starts off with Global Rhythm Radio which is followed by Halftime At The Apocalypse, I let Matt Moon and Jeff Rogers do the programming and I just relax.

Here is the Halftime At The Apocalypse playlist from last night:
Michael Brook
Los Lobos
Cat Power    
Bob Dylan    
Loudon Wainwright III    
Smog    
Conor Oberst 
The Shins    
REM    
Robbie Robertson And The Red Road Ensemble
Ten Years After