Three AVA items on ebay

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Three AVA items on ebay
« on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:10 pm »
I saw these listed today.  The phase inverter has been listed for a while, but I have been traveling and hadn't checked ebay lately. 

DYNACO PAT-5 Preamplifier By Van Alstine  FET-6 Model

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=300265665265&Category=12050

Van Alstine tube fet hybrid phase inverter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120315628183&Category=39783&_trksid=p3907.m29

VAN ALSTINE TRANSCENDENCE 7 SLR

http://cgi.ebay.com/VAN-ALSTINE-TRANSCENDENCE-7-SLR_W0QQitemZ180298540450QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180298540450&_trkparms=72%3A1416%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

grenamc

Re: Three AVA items on ebay
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:56 pm »
I am actually looking at that Transcendence 7.  Does anyone here know if Frank allows an upgrade path to people who buy used?  I see there is an option to go from T 7 SL to Ultra Fet Valve SL or EC.  Also, is this a decent price for a used T7?  It seems about right if he paid 1800 dollars. 

Thanks,
Michael

gjs_cds

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2008, 12:49 am »
Before buying any used AVA gear, I'd call Frank and see if the serial number checks out.  I bought my 440HC used direct from a guy on Audiogon; I called up the seller, got the serial, called up Frank, made sure it checked out.  Some years later, I got it upgraded to the (last generation) OmegaStar EX HC.  So yeah--you can upgrade it, if it can indeed be upgraded. 

I've also bought used directly from Frank.

Finally--there has been some AVA gear that's been misrepresented both on Ebay and Audiogon, so I'd really recommend double checking w/ the mothership on the serial before purchasing.

grenamc

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2008, 01:44 am »
Thanks for the advice.

-Michael

avahifi_lj

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2008, 04:51 pm »
Hi:

The T7 SLR can't be upgraded to the Ultra series because of the small chassis.  I believe that it's also at the latest design offered in the small chassis.  The Phase Inverter also can't be upgraded to an Ultra because of the chassis, but one could upgrade to the T7 series; however, I would not recommend the upgrade.  Both are fine units as is, and offer sound and a value that is still top shelf.

The PAT-5 can be upgraded to the Insight series, and I would recommend the upgrade considering how old the preamp design is.

Thanks!

Larry

Matt__P

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2008, 06:50 pm »
that T7 might be a touch on the high side,,,although it does have phono.
I got my T7  used without phono for $425. Best money I've spent in audio so far

Zheeeem

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:50 pm »
Hi:

The T7 SLR can't be upgraded to the Ultra series because of the small chassis.  I believe that it's also at the latest design offered in the small chassis.  The Phase Inverter also can't be upgraded to an Ultra because of the chassis, but one could upgrade to the T7 series; however, I would not recommend the upgrade.  Both are fine units as is, and offer sound and a value that is still top shelf.

The PAT-5 can be upgraded to the Insight series, and I would recommend the upgrade considering how old the preamp design is.

Thanks!

Larry

I agree completely on the T7.  It is a fine unit.

Not sure I completely agree on the PAT-5, however.  I am running an older Van Alstine PAT-5 in our HT system.  Because my spousal unit frequently falls asleep with the system on, it means that the unit (and an AVA MOSFET 200 in a Hafler shell) run on average 12+ hours a day.  Rugged does not even begin to describe these fine products.  They are, of course, no longer state of the art, and doubtless the Insights sound better.  But if I were to go with an Insight, I'd just pay a bit more for a new unit, rather than save a few bucks putting the electronics in a 30+ year old box.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2008, 09:19 pm »
that T7 might be a touch on the high side,,,although it does have phono.
I got my T7  used without phono for $425. Best money I've spent in audio so far

And it does have the tape buffer which the guy had to pay for...........

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2008, 09:23 pm »
OK, we would charge $699 for a complete new Insight circuit set (line with tone controls and phono) installed in this very early AVA modified Dyna Pat-5.  A brand new Insight EC preamplifier with phono would be $1248.

Obviously this used unit, assuming in good working order mechanically, would be a very good candidate for our new Insight circuits as it would have essentially the same functions and exactly the same sound as a brand new Insight EC preamp.

Not a bad deal at all.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2008, 01:35 am »
Frank:

How does the PAT-5, as is, compare to the preamp section of the Omega 50, and is there any way to modify the Omega 50 to use as a preamp?