Bi-amping in an all-Bryston setup

Sasha

Bi-amping in an all-Bryston setup
« on: 14 Oct 2008, 12:20 am »
Does anyone do bi-amping in two channel setup using Bryston pre-amp (mine is BP26) and Bryston amps?
How do you address 6dB difference between balanced and unbalanced out on pre-amp (I do not want to go unbalanced)?
I came across some comments in related topics that 7B SST may be too much to drive mid-high drivers in 3 way speaker, but I am not sure what “too much” mean, simply a waste of power or something else?

niels

Re: Bi-amping in an all-Bryston setup
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:21 pm »
I really dont understand your question. Why would going balanced be a disadvantage with regards to voltage?
You say you dont want to go unbalanced....use an xlr splitter out from the preamps balanced outputs into the 4 amps you wish to use set at the same gain.
Yes, maybe they ment it was overkill....

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:54 pm »
Does anyone do bi-amping in two channel setup using Bryston pre-amp (mine is BP26) and Bryston amps?
How do you address 6dB difference between balanced and unbalanced out on pre-amp (I do not want to go unbalanced)?
I came across some comments in related topics that 7B SST may be too much to drive mid-high drivers in 3 way speaker, but I am not sure what “too much” mean, simply a waste of power or something else?

This is really a question for James.

racerxnet

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2008, 07:20 am »
I am running a Bi amp setup unbalanced due to the Low pass filter being unbalanced from the factory. With such short runs it is likely that there is no sonic benefits to be had,,,,, But, I posed this question to James as well.

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2008, 11:59 am »

Hi Sasha,

By 'two much' I assume they mean two much power. I can tell you on the big PMC BB5 and MB2 Active systems we use to use a 3B for the tweeters and now use a 4B which seems like overkill but it does sound better.

As for the 6dB differences between the Balanced out and the RCA Single Ended there are 2 options.  (1.) Just use a short Y connector on the Balanced outs of the BP26 (we can build one for you) or (2.) use the "Sensitivity" switch on the back of your Bryston amplifiers. If you set the sensitivity switch on one amp to 2 Volts and the other to 1 Volt the gain difference between the two will be 6dB.

james

Sasha

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2008, 12:49 pm »
Thank you James.

What direction should I take to have better performance, go balanced with Y connector or go unbalanced?
I do prefer balanced over unbalanced with present source/BP26/7B SST, so I am wondering if there are any issues with Y connector between BP26 and amps?
I am thinking of having MF/HF driven by pair of 7B SST and LF driven by pair of 7B ST (I like ST performance in low end).

Also, what is this subsonic filter that has been mentioned a few times in recent posts?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2008, 01:01 pm »
Thank you James.

What direction should I take to have better performance, go balanced with Y connector or go unbalanced?
I do prefer balanced over unbalanced with present source/BP26/7B SST, so I am wondering if there are any issues with Y connector between BP26 and amps?
I am thinking of having MF/HF driven by pair of 7B SST and LF driven by pair of 7B ST (I like ST performance in low end).

Also, what is this subsonic filter that has been mentioned a few times in recent posts?

Hi Sasha,

The ST does not have the gain switch so there goes the sensitivity idea. I guess it comes down to your thoughts on how exotic the Y connector has to be- I will leave that one to you.

In days of 'yore' subsonic filters in preamplifier's were very common due to phono stages.  Tonearm/cartridge combinations have a natural resonance and you want that resonance to be somewhere around 8-Hz. If its lower/higher it can affect the performance of the system (record warps are a big issue). So with our phono preamps in the past we had a subsonic filter that would start to rolloff the low frequencies starting at 15Hz at 6dB per octave. With CD's it was not an issue so the filters became extinct.

james

Sasha

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2008, 01:53 pm »
Thank you again.
I got it now, initially I missed the point with sensitivity switch on amps.
What about professional models of ST, they may not have switch but have volume controls at the back unless I am wrong?
Can this volume control sufficiently adjust the difference of 6dB coming out of BP26 balanced/unbalanced outputs?

niels

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2008, 04:26 pm »
I would use the Y-connector I mentioned, much much easier. You can use the volume control on a pro amp, but you need a sound level meter to match the volume as its very difficult to hear small changes.
I used a Y-connector with my sacd player, it went into multi channel input, and the front channels was split to go into the cd input also, worked dandy.....

jethro

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2008, 10:06 pm »
Thank you again.
I got it now, initially I missed the point with sensitivity switch on amps.
What about professional models of ST, they may not have switch but have volume controls at the back unless I am wrong?
Can this volume control sufficiently adjust the difference of 6dB coming out of BP26 balanced/unbalanced outputs?

Sasha:

The gain adjusters (pots) are on the front of the amp in the faceplate. You need a screwdriver to adjust them.
You can reduce the gain by 13 dB using these pots.