Smoked turkey for Thanksgiving?

ctviggen

Smoked turkey for Thanksgiving?
« on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:59 pm »
The past bunch of years, I've brined my turkey and baked it.  I've also just added salt under the skin, but I like brined a little better.  This year, I'm thinking of getting two small turkeys instead of one large one, brining both, but then baking one and smoking the other.

Has anyone ever smoked a turkey before?  If so, are there any caveats?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Smoked turkey for Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2008, 03:38 pm »
Yes, and YES, there are a lot of caveats.

I have followed a recipe in a book I have which involves injecting garlic oil, and for the first half of cooking, the bird is covered in cheesecloth and basted regularly. Its more involved than smoking other meats, but the results were VERY good.

This is the book, I really like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-Barbecue-Charcoal-Wood-Burning/dp/155832061X

dmatt

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2008, 07:08 pm »
While smoking purists may not call what I do true smoking (probably because it isn't), I have been preparing the T-giving bird for the last couple of years now by brining, packing compound butter between the skin and meat, trussing on a spit, and spit roasting over indirect heat (with a drip pan of water and stock under the bird) in my gas grill.  The "smoking" comes from tossing foil packs of pre-soaked wood chips (I use mesquite, pick your wood) over the burners.  I get one of those packs smoking prior to putting on the bird, then swap in fresh ones while the bird is spinning.  I suppose it is kind of a wet smoke, but I bow to the real smokers to tell us what it is.

I wind up with a nicely cooked, succulent bird that has great flavor and crisp skin, a hint of smokiness, plus drippings that are used to finish my apple cider-thyme gravy while the bird is resting.  I cook my stuffing along with the other casserole side dishes in oven-proof dishes in the kitchen oven.

Let me know if you'd like more details.  I have to go now because I have made myself hungry. :drool:

David

trout2

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2008, 05:20 pm »
Similiar recipe... Start with 2tbls of pure ancho powder, add 1tbls crushed sea salt, and 1tbls crushed caraway seeds. Add 1/3 cup melted butter. Mix well. Pour as much of the ancho butter below the skin by lifting the skin all around the turkey. Use remaining ancho butter and rub over the outside of the entire turkey. Cover and refrigerate overnite.
Start a charcoal Weber (with coals on the sides) or a smoker and have the temp at 200-250 degrees. Add mesquite chips every 45 minutes and smoke until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees, about 3 1/2 -- 4 hours.
What you'll end up with is a pretty great tasting turkey. Serve with a nice German lager and you're in business.

jimbop

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2008, 07:47 am »
One of the best "barbeque" restaraunts here in Colorado Springs offers whole roasted turkeys for Thanksgiving every year. They are incredibly juicy and flavorful.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2008, 02:03 pm »
Well, I brined the turkey and added a few large wood chips (cherry?), and it came out very good, but a bit dry.  It may have been the brand of turkey, or perhaps I didn't brine long enough.  I also think next time I have to set my thermometer lower and calculate about 10 degrees or so for temperature rise after cooking.