RMAF

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: RMAF
« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2008, 07:54 pm »
James - can you advise as to what the LIST prices iare on the 3 models?

Looking forward to your impressions especially the minimum distance from the rear wall that is required. I had to revise my room and my current speakers require more distance from my rear wall than I think I can accommodate so I may have to look for something that can live closer to the rear wall that matches well with my 14B-SST amp...

tx
Ron

Hi Ron,

Don't quote me but I think the US list prices are 800 Array is $5600 a pair, 1000 Array is $8700 a pair and the 1400 Array is $12,000 a pair.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #41 on: 18 Oct 2008, 10:21 pm »
Purchase a pair? Oh, I thought JBL was going to send you a pair. You know, long term loan. You are a manufacturer, after all.

Glad you went with the 1400s...why not go for the top of the line? Any reason why you didn't consider the K2s?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review. 4 weeks will go by fast...:)

Hi Dave,

The days of loaning stuff to other manufactures is over.  Reviewers 'yes' - crazed audiophiles working for other companies 'NO'!

james

PS- that reminds me I am going to have to start selling off some of the other speakers I have - it's getting crowded around here - sooner or later my wife is going to notice!

I see. Thanks for the info. Good luck selling your other speakers!

buzzer

« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2008, 11:13 pm »
To James Tanner
Congratulations on your decision to go with the 1400's. Having been through this with Ron & Rob at Altronics, I can say that I don't think you will regret the decision. The wait will make their arrival that much sweeter.
I must say that R & R's advice has proved to be outstanding. Their knowledge and experience have guided me to aquire a system that I continue to find amazing in its ability to reveal the layers and dynamics of my favourite music.
You should have a lot of fun plugging them into home rig. Good luck.

Buzzer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2008, 09:18 am »
James - can you advise as to what the LIST prices iare on the 3 models?

Looking forward to your impressions especially the minimum distance from the rear wall that is required. I had to revise my room and my current speakers require more distance from my rear wall than I think I can accommodate so I may have to look for something that can live closer to the rear wall that matches well with my 14B-SST amp...

tx
Ron

Hi Ron,

What are your current speakers?

james

ssmith

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2008, 06:27 pm »
HI James,

This is great I assume you will compare the 1400s to the quad 2905's and the maggies in two channel. What maggies do you have 20.1?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2008, 07:11 pm »
HI James,

This is great I assume you will compare the 1400s to the quad 2905's and the maggies in two channel. What maggies do you have 20.1?

Thanks

I only have the MG1.6's -I sold the 20.1's and the 3.6's already.
Also have the Thiel 3.7's, the Quad 2905's and a pair of PMC IB2's as well as a pair of Powered Quested speakers.

james

ssmith

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2008, 07:24 pm »
What is your favourite out of what you already own James, And why did you sell your larger maggies where they to big?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2008, 07:35 pm »
What is your favourite out of what you already own James.

Thanks.

You know that's a tough question because depending on the type of music I am listening too (and my mood) each of the systems have plus's and minus's. It is one of the reasons I want to play around with the JBL 1400's as I have not had horns in my system for many many years. I really had discounted horns because any I have heard recently had serious colourations but the Array 1000's at the show made me re-think that obvious bias.

One recording engineer that was over a few months ago said it best when he told me: "James listening to these 3 different systems has taught me a lot.  It shows me that you can accomplish very enjoyable sound in a number of different ways."

james

ssmith

« Reply #48 on: 19 Oct 2008, 07:44 pm »
I Know thats a loaded question James. From the electrostatic type speakers I have heard Quads example (2905) it preformed poorly under higher spl's at lower spl's was fine,but I was looking for a speaker that could do all and thats almost impossilble.The thiels 3.7s have the coaxial mid tweeter thats nice but when pushed to higher limits the bottom end just dies out.IMO.

thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 19 Oct 2008, 07:49 pm »
I Know thats a loaded question James. From the electrostatic type speakers I have heard Quads example (2905) it preformed poorly under higher spl's at lower spl's was fine,but I was looking for a speaker that could do all and thats almost impossilble.The thiels 3.7s have the coaxial mid tweeter thats nice but when pushed to higher limits the bottom end just dies out.IMO.

thanks

OK so what do you think the plus's and minus's of the 1400's are?

james

ssmith

« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2008, 08:09 pm »
Excellent question,

Having these speakers I may sound biased but comparing them to alot of other speakers and Having owned many speakers over the years the technology
fit and finish and quality of drivers for the price I found them to rise to the top.I prefer 8 ohm speakers apposed to 4ohms and I feel the dynamics of the compression drivers are supurb and the 14 is tight.As far as the negatives I would say they are not the best looking speaker and maybe a little on the large side but its worth it for the sound quality I get.IMO. This Is why I wonder what your views will be on them when you receive them and somehow from the review on the 1000s you did Im sure they will more than put a smile on your face.

Thanks James

Viajero5000

« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:38 am »
What is your favourite out of what you already own James.

Thanks.

You know that's a tough question because depending on the type of music I am listening too (and my mood) each of the systems have plus's and minus's. It is one of the reasons I want to play around with the JBL 1400's as I have not had horns in my system for many many years. I really had discounted horns because any I have heard recently had serious colourations but the Array 1000's at the show made me re-think that obvious bias.

One recording engineer that was over a few months ago said it best when he told me: "James listening to these 3 different systems has taught me a lot.  It shows me that you can accomplish very enjoyable sound in a number of different ways."

james

Have you had any experience using omni-directional speakers with Bryston, James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:53 am »
Hi Viajero,

I owned the Mirage M1 speakers a number of years ago which are more bipoles than omnis of course.  I have listen many times to the MBL speakers at shows but not with Bryston.  I know of a reviewer in Italy that used our 28B's on the MBL's with very good results.

I did a show 2 years ago in Montreal with Mirage and we used the OMD28 Omni speaker with Bryston 7B's but that is my only experience.

I assume your asking because there are some Omni type speakers you like?

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #53 on: 20 Oct 2008, 11:10 am »
Hi James, yes, that's correct.... I've been using box speakers for a while now, and had a brief listen to some omnis the other day (Rountree Omni-mons), which sounded comparatively open, though lacking the imaging and bass accuracy as my box speakers (MB2s). I must say i was intrigued, and hence the question; any thoughts on omni-directional speakers in general?

As an aside i also auditioned the new MB2/XBDi... the new tweeter sounds a bit more natural, though Tom Barron played them so loud that i soon got a headahce! they're nice speakers though without doubt.  they were hooked up with an all-naim setup as the dealer doesnt carry bryston, but i thought that bryston sounded way better with pmc... Tom agreed totally.... the system was a bit sibilant, not sure why, it was definitely not the speakers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2008, 11:55 am »
Hi James, yes, that's correct.... I've been using box speakers for a while now, and had a brief listen to some omnis the other day (Rountree Omni-mons), which sounded comparatively open, though lacking the imaging and bass accuracy as my box speakers (MB2s). I must say i was intrigued, and hence the question; any thoughts on omni-directional speakers in general?

As an aside i also auditioned the new MB2/XBDi... the new tweeter sounds a bit more natural, though Tom Barron played them so loud that i soon got a headahce! they're nice speakers though without doubt.  they were hooked up with an all-naim setup as the dealer doesnt carry bryston, but i thought that bryston sounded way better with pmc... Tom agreed totally.... the system was a bit sibilant, not sure why, it was definitely not the speakers.

Well the knock against Omni's has always been the fact that the radiation or polar response reacts with the boundaries in the room to create a 'soupy' sound with no specific images or soundstage localization.  (I just remembered I had some Ohm F's for a while back in the 70's which had the cylindrical shaped driver and was also an Omni speaker). So if your listening tastes are more classically music based Omni's come off sounding pretty good. 

There has always been this theoretical ideal in speaker design that a perfect speaker would be a radiating sphere (like real instruments).

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #55 on: 21 Oct 2008, 02:57 am »
Any chance of the Tannoy review?   8) :)

Ron D

« Reply #56 on: 21 Oct 2008, 04:07 am »
thanks for the info on the prices James. My current speakers are Talon Audio Ravens. A very nice speaker but a very large footprint that requires a minimum of 42" off the rear wall to sound good in my particular room.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 21 Oct 2008, 10:59 am »
Any chance of the Tannoy review?   8) :)

Hi Dave,

I only listened to the Tannoy's at the show about 10% of the time so I do not think I should comment in detail until I can give them a more substantial listen at home.

What was interesting was when we did A/B comparisons most listeners often preferred one speaker over the other. So I would say the Tannoys vs the JBL's sound more 'different' than 'similar'. (I say 'Tamato' you say 'Tomato').

james

audio 1

« Reply #58 on: 21 Oct 2008, 07:05 pm »
James,

Do you have any pictures of the Bryston/JBL room that you can post?  I would like to see the set-up again.

Thank You-

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 21 Oct 2008, 07:19 pm »
James,

Do you have any pictures of the Bryston/JBL room that you can post?  I would like to see the set-up again.

Thank You-

No I am sorry I do not.

james