RMAF

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: RMAF
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:20 pm »
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a lot of fun!  :D

I have a question. Did the 1000's allow the amps/preamp/dac to show their best and vice-versa?

I wonder how the 1000's stack up against the K2s and the Everest.

Another question. Is it possible to give us a detailed review on the Tannoys?  8)

Hi Dave,

I should be able to answer the 'show their best' question once I get the 1000's in my own room for a while.  As for the Tannoys I will see what I can do.

james

Ok, sounds good. Thanks again.

nickelbut10

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:53 pm »
Excellent review James. Thank you so much.

"35 years old(just a kid)" I thought that was getting up there? lol just kidding.

mr_bill

« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:07 pm »
James, great review and let us know when you get them in your listening room with the maggies and thiels!

ssmith

« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:44 pm »
WOW TOE TAPPING THATS FORSURE.

GREAT REVIEW JAMES ON THE ARRAY 1000s.

ChrisBo

« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2008, 06:01 am »
Thanks James, will you be using the 28B's for your review??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2008, 10:47 am »
Thanks James, will you be using the 28B's for your review??

Hi Chris,

Once I get them home I have one of each amp here so I will mix it up as I go.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 04:21 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2008, 02:10 pm »
Nice feedback from a magazine regarding the sound of our demo room at the RMAF:

"Hi James,

I just back from The RMAF Denver, I was by your demo room 461, it sounded very good indeed. Can I arrange a factory visit and magazine interview meeting with you at Oct 17 (Fri) 11:00am or early next week? please confrim!

Regards
Jeff
HIFI CONCEPT Magazine"

vegasdave

« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm »
Great news!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2008, 07:54 pm »
Well people I made a BIG mistake today.

I foolishly went to Altronics Stereo 2000 - the only dealer I am aware of in Toronto that carries the JBL Array Series of loudspeakers. I was there to order my Array 1000's for one of my home setups and I made the mistake of auditioning the Array 1400.

After a short discussion with Ron and Rob (incredibly knowledgeable people on JBL) and the owners of Altronics I have decided to purchase the Array 1400's.

I will let you know my thoughts once there home - crap!... it will be about 4 weeks before I get them.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2008, 08:16 pm »
haha, James, you've made like a true blue audiophile.... and now one month of anticipation....

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2008, 09:39 pm »

I foolishly went to Altronics Stereo 2000 - the only dealer I am aware of in Toronto that carries the JBL Array Series of loudspeakers. I was there to order my Array 1000's for one of my home setups and I made the mistake of auditioning the Array 1400.

After a short discussion with Ron and Rob (incredibly knowledgeable people on JBL) and the owners of Altronics I have decided to purchase the Array 1400's.

I will let you know my thoughts once there home - crap!... it will be about 4 weeks before I get them.

james

Are the 1400s a better speaker? I would think so...

Congrats on your purchase!

mr_bill

« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2008, 11:46 pm »

james
Tell us more about this trip to Alltronics and what you found out and why you went with the 1400's.  I don't think we can wait four weeks to know more about your decision!
Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2008, 11:55 am »

james
Tell us more about this trip to Alltronics and what you found out and why you went with the 1400's.  I don't think we can wait four weeks to know more about your decision!
Thanks.

HI Bill,

OK first some background on JBL - they have 3 speakers in the Array Series - 800, 1000, and 1400. At the RMAF we had the 800's and the 1000's but not the 1400's.  The differences are the 800 and the 1000 have the same mid/tweeter horn but different woofers.  The 800 has an 8 inch woofer and the 1000 has a 10 inch woofer.  The 1400 has a different midhorn (larger) and a different (14 inch) woofer.

I really liked the 1000's at the Denver Show and had arranged to purchase a pair at Altronics to experiment with in my soundroom at home. So off I go to Altronics to make the purchase and unknown to me Ron and Rob had conspired to setup a 4B, BP26 and BCD-1 to a set of 1400's. I arrived and had a listen.

I was hesitant at first to consider the 1400 Arrray.  In most 3-way systems with a high crossover point I have heard in the past I have felt that the 'seemless' quality through the crossover point (especially voices) suffered in favour of 'powerhandling'.  Anyway the 1000 at the show had the crossover between the woofer and mid at 900 Hz and the 1400 in fact has the crossover at 750Hz (a little lower).

So fortunately I had my 'show demo CD' in my car and I gave the 1400's a workout. The thing that surprised me was how seemless they were and also how smoooooth they sounded. I expected them to sound more like a traditional horn with a bit of "shoutyness". I have to wait 4 weeks for delievery as they are built to order. (I guess given the current economic times no one is stocking product anymore-not even JBL).

I will follow up with a more detailed review once I have had time to play with them in my own soundrooms at home. At this point I have high hopes and looking on-line I am a little surprised these speakers have not been reviewed by more of the influential magazines.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2008, 02:45 pm »
Purchase a pair? Oh, I thought JBL was going to send you a pair. You know, long term loan. You are a manufacturer, after all.

Glad you went with the 1400s...why not go for the top of the line? Any reason why you didn't consider the K2s?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review. 4 weeks will go by fast...:)

mr_bill

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2008, 02:46 pm »
Thank you James,

Although you are comparing the RMAF 1000's to the Alltronic demo 1400's did you hear things in the 1400 vs the 1000's that you planned to purchase made you take the step up?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2008, 03:46 pm »
Thank you James,

Although you are comparing the RMAF 1000's to the Alltronic demo 1400's did you hear things in the 1400 vs the 1000's that you planned to purchase made you take the step up?

Hi Bill,

The 1400 seemed a little smoother through the voice range and of course the voice coil in the midhorn is twice the size of the 1000 Array so power handling should be better?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2008, 03:49 pm »
Purchase a pair? Oh, I thought JBL was going to send you a pair. You know, long term loan. You are a manufacturer, after all.

Glad you went with the 1400s...why not go for the top of the line? Any reason why you didn't consider the K2s?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review. 4 weeks will go by fast...:)

Hi Dave,

The days of loaning stuff to other manufactures is over.  Reviewers 'yes' - crazed audiophiles working for other companies 'NO'!

james

PS- that reminds me I am going to have to start selling off some of the other speakers I have - it's getting crowded around here - sooner or later my wife is going to notice!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2008, 04:15 pm »
...must be a good feeling if someone cannot rescue himself because of too much stuff :wink:.

great hobby- isn't it!!!

al.

Ron D

« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2008, 06:51 pm »
James - can you advise as to what the LIST prices iare on the 3 models?

Looking forward to your impressions especially the minimum distance from the rear wall that is required. I had to revise my room and my current speakers require more distance from my rear wall than I think I can accommodate so I may have to look for something that can live closer to the rear wall that matches well with my 14B-SST amp...

tx
Ron

rydenfan

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2008, 07:47 pm »
James, congrats on your new purchase  :thumb: I know how tough it can be to wait for something you really want. Hopefully it will just make the reward that much sweeter.