A good preamp makes all the difference!

mcullinan

A good preamp makes all the difference!
« on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:22 pm »
I has my Supratek Sauvignon in the shop for a couple weeks and replaced it with an old ADCOM GTP-350 Tuner Preamplifier... :(
I still listened to music, but that magic was gone! So after 2 weeks I get the Supratek back and all of a sudden the sound is lifelike, Extended, dynamic... detailed. Seperate and not all squished together.. Tons of airy glow!!!
Anyways I know the Adcom is poo poo, and has no tubes. But the Supratek is something really special.

I know Mick said that Supratek is out of business, but I believe you can still by the preamps/amps from him, but they are built and you have to kind of pick what he has... I could be wrong though.. His email --> supra@supratek.biz

Also the repair place was great... They are on Long Island -->stereorepair@optonline.net
Site: http://www.stereorepair.net
Just as a resource and that they did a good fix is why Im posting their info.
Mike

Stu Pitt

Re: A good preamp makes all the difference!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:42 pm »
I've always thought the pre-amp is the most overlooked and under appreciated component.  They do a lot more than just adjust volume and switch sources.

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:56 pm »
I has my Supratek Sauvignon in the shop for a couple weeks and replaced it with an old ADCOM GTP-350 Tuner Preamplifier... :(
I still listened to music, but that magic was gone! So after 2 weeks I get the Supratek back and all of a sudden the sound is lifelike, Extended, dynamic... detailed. Seperate and not all squished together.. Tons of airy glow!!!
Anyways I know the Adcom is poo poo, and has no tubes. But the Supratek is something really special.

I know Mick said that Supratek is out of business, but I believe you can still by the preamps/amps from him, but they are built and you have to kind of pick what he has... I could be wrong though.. His email --> supra@supratek.biz

Also the repair place was great... They are on Long Island -->stereorepair@optonline.net
Site: http://www.stereorepair.net
Just as a resource and that they did a good fix is why Im posting their info.
Mike

Mike,

Anything costly to repair the unit?

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:06 pm »
It came to about $217.00 I think most was for hourly rate... They replaced 2 Mosfet transistors, upgraded a mute switch, soldered a few loose connections.. which he says is common with point to point wiring.. and cleaned all the connections/ dials.
He seems to know what hes doing... and the problem is gone. YEah!
Mike

They definitely add that something something to the music. I had a AI Modulus 3A for 10 years which I loved...very neutral.. clean, never broke :). I also love Mikes (Mosjef) VAC REally nice sound!

carusoracer

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:47 pm »
Mike,

I sent an email to Mic..Maybe he has something or units sitting.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2008, 04:03 pm by carusoracer »

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2008, 03:05 pm »
Micks pretty laid back, and pretty friendly. LEt me know what he says.
Mike

jbtrio

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2008, 12:39 am »
Hey Mike,

I think a pre-amp is very important. Everytime I tried using a CDP without a pre the sound was a little more transparent, but lost drive and fullness.

I have a Supratek Sauvignon also and think it is really nice. What tubes are you using in your unit?

Joe

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:49 am »
there was an old thread a while back on choosing equipment in order of importance in a system.  preamp was/is my number one item of importance...   8)

doug s.

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2008, 02:43 am »
Hey Mike,

I think a pre-amp is very important. Everytime I tried using a CDP without a pre the sound was a little more transparent, but lost drive and fullness.

I have a Supratek Sauvignon also and think it is really nice. What tubes are you using in your unit?

Joe
I have KT66 TAD Tube Audio Doctor Tubes which are hand picked by TAD, but I believe they are Chinese. Shuuang relabeled? Very nice... warm airy relaxed... I tried a pair of SED Wings and disliked them, too aggressive and forward. For a rectifier I bought a used Mullard, should arrive in a few days. The guy says they last forever... The rectifier definitely changes the sound too. I had a Groove Tube Gold ... very warm sound, smoothness to presentation. Then I thought there was something wrong with it, but there wasnt, and I chucked it. Right now I have a Sovtek in. which is very neutral, more clinical. And Mick says the ones that change the sound the most are the 6SN7s... Right now I have 1578 Russian NOS.. from the 80s. These are military grade and sound awesome. Extended and dynamic. Mid sparkle. The other ones I love are the Sylvania 6SN7 VT231 Black Base. Wow... I think maybe a tad nicer mids, but not as good on the extremes. The 1578s are extended and sweet. But those Sylvania mids.. hmm... I could always switch back and forth.
I tried a few pairs of RCA and didnt like them.. eh... Ge eh...
How about you What have you found worked?
Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2008, 02:45 am »
there was an old thread a while back on choosing equipment in order of importance in a system.  preamp was/is my number one item of importance...   8)

doug s.

YEs.. thats why when people always want to use their DAC with a volume control, I think they are missing part of the picture.
Mike

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2008, 03:17 am »
Know exactly what you mean.  My Dodd battery pre needed work several months ago.  It was only gone a couple of weeks, but my old Sansui just didn't have the depth or sparkle.  My pre is really the only place in my system that I splurged to buy new equipment.  It makes a huge difference.

soundbitten1

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2008, 04:02 am »
Hey Mike,

My findings were exactly the same . I like the body that a preamp provides to the music .

Brown

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2008, 03:14 pm »
Especially an active vs a passive. Gimmie tubes gimmie SS gimmie active

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2008, 03:40 pm »

doug s.

YEs.. thats why when people always want to use their DAC with a volume control, I think they are missing part of the picture.
Mike

If you get something like the Modwright Transporter you are getting the best of both worlds in one package!

http://www.modwright.com/pdf/TransporterMusicServer.pdf

George

jbtrio

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:54 am »
I use NOS tubes.

Rectifier: Amperex GZ 34  similar to the Mullard ,the earlier ones with the double d getters are better then the later year ones.
They should last a long time, worth every penny.

Regulators: Sylvania 6F6g or GEC Kt-66 both are real nice. The 6F6g have better bass and are little warmer. The Kt-66 have more clarity in the mids & are more extended in the treble. Both are excellent, with warmer 6sn7's the KT-66 , with more neutral 6sn7's the 6F6g.

Drivers: Tung Sol round plate black glass (expensive but one of the best all around 6sn7)
            Sylvania 52 bad boy with the 3 hole plates and copper post ( if you like the VT231 black plates you'll love these, much better bass with the same beautiful midrange and highs)
           Sylvania 6sn7w (dynamic,slam,detail,sparkly highs)

These are my 3 favorities, but also use Rca grey glass & NU black glass when I want a more romantic sound for Vocals, etc.

tubes-n-horns

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:38 am »
....soldered a few loose connections.. which he says is common with point to point wiring..
I have built much of my own gear, with point to point connections.....so how long can I expect before failures appear?

Rick

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:43 am »
If you get something like the Modwright Transporter you are getting the best of both worlds in one package!

George
what do you do if you want to listen to winyl or fm? 

even if you only do digital, i wouldn't be surprised if this would still sound better when run thru a good preamp...  i wonder whether dan thinks it will sound better if run thru his 36.5 pre...  i know srajan said he preferred it when run thru a preamp, but he also wentured that others may not...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:45 am »
....soldered a few loose connections.. which he says is common with point to point wiring..
I have built much of my own gear, with point to point connections.....so how long can I expect before failures appear?

Rick
i disagree w/the comment that loose connections are common w/point to point soldering.  i have used old wintage gear w/point-to-point soldering, & the connections are still fine.  actually, i think you will experience loose solder joints more often with circuit boards then w/point-to-point connections...

ymmv,

doug s.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:45 am »

George
what do you do if you want to listen to winyl or fm? 

even if you only do digital, i wouldn't be surprised if this would still sound better when run thru a good preamp...  i wonder whether dan thinks it will sound better if run thru his 36.5 pre...  i know srajan said he preferred it when run thru a preamp, but he also wentured that others may not...

doug s.

I don't listen to vinyl or fm.   :o

Do I think things would sound better through Dan's two-piece preamp?  Probably.

Of course, there are many ways I could spend another $9k to improve things... aa

George

Mariusz

« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:48 am »
Hey Mike,
Supratek made some excellent gear and it was probably one of my favorite preamps.
Briefly owning Chardonnay with a NOS Bendix 6106 Rectifier tube and a matched pair of NOS Tung-Sol Round Plate tubes was quite an experience........especially for $1700 used.
I loved that thing......really.  :inlove:

And........like most, I also tried CD to Amp directly. My comments are not so dissimilar from the previous ones as well. Transparency, YES.
Body, soul, weight was unfortunately a miss. All in all, I guess that in fact - preamp is essential to enjoy the MUSIC to the fullest- IMHO.   :wink: -
Until proven otherwise.

Mariusz  :thumb: