What do I do....

lord_glum

What do I do....
« on: 5 Oct 2008, 01:33 am »
It is time for a new set of speakers.  I have been putting it off by using my old klipsch; which are now going out for parts.  Here are the 2 projects i am looking at.  I have build 'cingular' boxes for my FE206s and 207's both sold.  Now i am looking for a new project.  Here are my choices...

FE167 in half chili (moose BVR) or BIB.

Either that or the Decware HDT.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: What do I do....
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2008, 01:40 am »
Have you had a chance to hear the HDTs?

Lin

lord_glum

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2008, 01:45 am »
No i have not.  It is on my list of things to do since decware is in near my home town 1.5 hours away.  I want to hear them for myself since they are the more expensive option.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2008, 03:23 am »
preRelease Fonken167 plans are available by request...

I's post a pic but i'm on someone else's puter

dave

lord_glum

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2008, 12:17 am »
My main limitation is height.  I don't want anything over ~56"  the chili's have me very interested...have not looked much at the fonken

thanks,
Jvo

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2008, 12:44 am »
It is time for a new set of speakers.  I have been putting it off by using my old klipsch; which are now going out for parts.  Here are the 2 projects i am looking at.  I have build 'cingular' boxes for my FE206s and 207's both sold.  Now i am looking for a new project.  Here are my choices...

FE167 in half chili (moose BVR) or BIB.

Either that or the Decware HDT.
get your room sorted out first...   :wink:  see how your klipsch's sound per your room thread first...

doug s.

lord_glum

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2008, 12:54 am »
Wow I feel like I am being watched!   :lol:  This is part of the upgrade.  The klipsch are paying for everything else, actually on ebay now.  :thumb:  I traded for them w/my old table saw.  i am a horn man by nature.  Actually got the Philips MCD908 w/the generic tubes in it w/ribbon tweeters and i have to say they compare to my klipsch's at least they come pretty close.  I am moving the room around as I sell stuff so i don't have to move much more than needed.  I have the wife's approval to move all the stuff around now.

Thanks,
Jvo

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2008, 02:01 am »
Wow I feel like I am being watched!   :lol:  This is part of the upgrade.  The klipsch are paying for everything else, actually on ebay now.  :thumb:  I traded for them w/my old table saw.  i am a horn man by nature.  Actually got the Philips MCD908 w/the generic tubes in it w/ribbon tweeters and i have to say they compare to my klipsch's at least they come pretty close.  I am moving the room around as I sell stuff so i don't have to move much more than needed.  I have the wife's approval to move all the stuff around now.

Thanks,
Jvo

8)   :lol:

i just think you need to get a feel for what you have now, in its best set up, before making a move to new stuff.  if you are doing that w/the philips speakers, then you should be good to go...

doug s.

chrisby

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2008, 08:14 pm »
My main limitation is height.  I don't want anything over ~56"  the chili's have me very interested...have not looked much at the fonken

thanks,
Jvo

if you've seen the smaller Fonken design for FE127E, just think "big brother"

rough dimensions for the 167 version are:

950mx H (less any base plinth)  x 274mm W x 238mm D  Height includes approx 220mm of void lower cavity (sand or kitty litter fill for damping) - approx volume before bracing = 28 liters

4 slot ports flanking each side of the front baffle, so near wall mounting works well

A more complicated build than the Demetri, but much smaller footprint, and while I've yet to directly compare both, I'd assess the Fonken probably has superior imaging and slightly less but more well controlled midbass & down extension.  This is certainly the case for the FE127E Mileva vs Fonken enclosures.

lord_glum

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2008, 11:25 pm »
Thanks!  I will add them to the potential project list.  I came here to make it smaller but it keeps getting bigger.

Jvo

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2008, 02:22 am »
Here is a picture from their debut atthe 5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST (before veneer -- they are getting a lovly walnut finish)

dave

lord_glum

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2008, 02:56 am »
Are those drivers modified other than a phase plug?  Dammar maybe?

Jvo

doorman

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2008, 03:48 am »
They look like they've got the "ENabled" treatment.
Don

lord_glum

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2008, 12:40 pm »
Oh yeah...i see the dots now.

Jvo

chrisby

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2008, 06:36 pm »
Indeed, the full monty treatment (polka dots and phase plugs)  "EnABLes" these drivers significantly

lord_glum

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2008, 10:04 pm »
So the 167's are only being proto'd right now from planet 10?

Jvo

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2008, 06:06 am »
So the 167's are only being proto'd right now from planet 10?

The proto was a home run... Chris' sister is scooping them up. What we learned in this is being used to stretch the next rev of the F120A.FX120 FonkenFX, and a Fonken207 should follow (i've been sitting on a pair of 207 for a year or so)

I just got more 167s for at least another pair.

Plans aren't fully complete but sufficient to build a set

dave