Room Size with RM 40's

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Room Size with RM 40's
« on: 15 Nov 2003, 04:14 pm »
My room is 25 x 17 x 6' 10".

Can the RM 40's work in a room with such a low ceiling?

GW

kana813

Room Size with RM 40's
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:43 pm »
I'd also be interested in the minimum room requirement for the RM 40's.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
RM40
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 08:05 pm »
Low ceilings are a benefit for the RM 40, since the top woofer can couple to a surface close by.  The other room dimensions are excellent.

I am preparing for CES where my demo is 12x18' with a 7'10" ceiling.  Have two "Best of CES" trophies so far, but wish I had a room like yours.

errivera

Room Size
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2003, 08:48 pm »
Brian, I would generally agree but I think it is a drop ceiling. If it is a drop ceiling this might cause more problems with rattling and other noises.  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
Room Size with RM 40's
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2003, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies.   :D

It isn't a drop ceiling, it is sheetrock just like all the walls.

Yes, I am lucky to have a very understanding wife who doesn't mind me converting our basement into my playroom.

The only problem I have in the room right now is a bass suckout at 31Hz (almost -10db's) and a bump of 6-8db's between 50-80Hz.  

GW

ekovalsky

Room Size with RM 40's
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2003, 09:14 pm »
That is a very nice size room.  Wish mine were that big (it's a rather cramped 14.5' x 17' x 10' (L X W X H).

If the REL subwoofers don't rattle the ceiling I wouldn't worry about the RM-40's.  Ceiling "cloud" absorbers could always be added if necessary.  Check out Acoustics First products http://www.acousticsfirst.com, their prices are about half of Echobusters and you can pick custom fabrics!  John Casler told me about them.

Regarding the suckout and bump, you should check out the TacT 2.2X or Accuphase DG-38.  Either will nicely smooth out your frequency response.  The Rives parametric EQ would fit the bill too.

Horsehead

Room Size with RM 40's
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2003, 12:42 am »
Hi Zybar,

My room has similar dimensions to yours and the 40s intergrate pretty well in mine.  Our wives should get togehter- she allowed me to "take over" the room as well.  Although I paying the price with a new addition (31x17x12) that she already said "is all mine". Guess she got the better deal in the end. :lol:

John Casler

Re: Room Size
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:31 am »
Quote from: errivera
Brian, I would generally agree but I think it is a drop ceiling. If it is a drop ceiling this might cause more problems with rattling and other noises.  :wink:

Since the upper woofer is midbass, the frequency doesn't have the energy of the larger bass waves. so it actually shouldn't cause even a drop ceiling to move or rattle.  If rattling did occur, it would most probably still come from the lower woofer or PR energizing the whole room.

As Brian notes, the ceiling can create a reasonable boundary depending on how close it is to the upper woofer.

If you listen nearfield, you may also want to try the "Sonic Director" tweak I posted some time back.  This will direct the midbass more cleanly and reduce any ceilng bounce or reflection problems.

If you listen farfeild, then this is a non-issue and the boundary effect will give you high impact and crisp bass.  You may also have much better "standing" sonics than most.

To answer your question, I have had RM40s clients use them in 12' x 13' rooms before with claimed sonic ecstacy :o  :o

I think one of the key points to room size for a speaker is reducing first reflections.  By definition, the limited dispersion of the ribbons is "much" easier to fit in a smaller space before suffering from this malady.

So it stands to reason that while a huge "higher dispersion" speaker might have problems in a smaller room, the RM40 will generally have less.

One of my recent clients, (who should get his RM40s very soon) has a rather small space, and debated whether to get the RM40s for some time.

I assume he will report soon on how his system sounds in the space.

jgubman

Room Size with RM 40's
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:40 am »
I think I'm the client in question!

I also have a converted basement, dimesions are 13' x 21' x 6'3" and I finally decided on RM40s after wavering on 626Rs for awhile.

Can't wait to get them, I've just got some Lexan acrylic sheets and felt lining and tomorrow I am going to fabricate some "hoods" to slip onto the top of my RM40s ala John Casler's "Sonic Director" tweak, just to control ceiling bounce.

Can't wait to get the 40s in my basement, and I'll definately post my thoughts when they're down here.

zybar

• Volunteer
Room Size with RM 40's
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:47 am »
Thanks.

I look forward to your response.

GW