Got some Bluejeans cables..............................................

Wayner

Yes, hotroady, I may agree with most of your statements, No, mass is equal to energy, squared. "E=mc2".

Oneinthepipe: calm down grasshopper!

cjs_cds yes, loudspeakers are part of the chain. I have new Focal JMLab's that are new to the system. They are now part of the dog team!!!!

Wayner

I just wanted to go out for a couple of beers and a steak.

hotroady

No, mass is equal to energy, squared. "E=mc2
[/quote]                                                                                                                                       What? That's Einstein's theory of relativity...only you screwed it up Energy= mass+speed of light, squared is the basic equation. Einstein built on Newton's law though.

Brett Buck

But how do you keep the bad sounding electrons from the power grid from leaking back into the audio equipment?

Is there a bad electron - good electron gate available?

Oh, just get some really good-sounding diodes and set them in series with the speaker cables to block incoming electrons. One on each end of each cable.

Brett

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system

calm down grasshopper!

Yes, I have much to learn.

“Did you not see the grasshopper sitting at your feet?”  Master Po

gjs_cds

Although not necessarily "components," don't forget room acoustics, i.e., bass traps, acoustic insulation, diffusers.  :D

Oh--of course.  In my mind, that's included in the (speaker placement) category.

If only these had a higher WAF!  (Mine's an interior designer...)

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
I find it interesting that while we give and take on the particulars of cables or their designs, the real system changers are the components themselves.

By "components"--I hope you're including that to mean loudspeakers, right? 

My experience has been (on the variables affecting sound quality):

1.  Loudspeakers (and loudspeaker placement)
2.  Components (Amp, pre-amp, source)  (in that order)
3.  Quality of sound engineering on recordings
4.  (and a distant 4th at that)  Magic and mystery products (insert cables here)

Although not necessarily "components," don't forget room acoustics, i.e., bass traps, acoustic insulation, diffusers.  :D

While I agree with this list, I wouldn't rank it this way.

The source material (recordings), in my book, comes first. A bad recording sounds more like a bad recording on a great system.

DAC, Pre, Amp in that order, to me, next.

Speakers next. Perfect speakers will show any shortcomings in the devices above.

Next are tweaks that have been proved scientifically. Great valves; great crossovers; great treatments; speaker placement. The list goes on.

Lastly, as you stated, un-scientific, or otherwise magic, anything.

Oh yeah; so not to be completely OT, BJC ROCKS! Great products, fine craftsmanship, and great service.  :thumb:  Pretty hard trio to beat!

Have fun,
Jerry

mfsoa

I think between #3 and #4 comes the listener itself. Ear wax, mood, level of sinus congestion - all that "human-side" stuff.

And take your glasses off! One of the best free tweaks I know of.

-Mike

Wayner

Yes,. gjs_cds, I mean speakers, too.

Oneinthepipe has first hand experience with his newly acquired bass traps and room treatments. He can testify that it can drastically change the sound of a room. Moving furniture, moving speakers and changing toe-in angle can have huge effects as well. If we could swap cables and get immediate effects like that, there would be an argument.

I'll still stick to my own theory that the best interconnects and speaker wires are the ones that screw up the signal the least. For speaker wire, I use Monster cable 16awg zip style cord. I can get 50 feet for about $20, because my friend owns the store and gives me a deal. otherwise I have always used lampcord.

Wayner

sueata1

I believe Frank should mfg. a Graphic Equaliser so we could all dial in that perfect sound. Who cares what the Artist or Engineer intended for us to hear,,, :o

Happy listening,,,
Mel

BradJudy

That's true, because of Newton's law of physics...mass absorbs energy.

Errr....

A) Newton's laws are regarding classical mechanics (movement of objects larger than atoms or sub-atomic particles), not electricity or atomic motion

B) None of Newton's laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtons_laws) say anything like "mass absorbs energy"

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  Mass just doesn't absorb energy.  Perhaps you're thinking of thermodynamics (2nd law to be specific)?

Wayner

Sure mass absorbs energy. Put a steel poker into the fire awhile until the end gets red hot. There is your mass storing energy.

Wayner

BradJudy

Yes, you can impart energy to a mass.  I can throw a ball or I can heat something with fire.  This isn't what I would call a mass "absorbing" energy.  Both are a force acting on a mass to give it kinetic energy (at a large scale and atomic scale respectively). 

My point stands that discussions about cables and electricity are not about Newtonian Laws.

Wayner

Yes, I agree that Newtons Laws are about physical things, not really atomic things.

Wayner

turkey

Yes, I agree that Newtons Laws are about physical things, not really atomic things.

Much of it applies at the micro level as well as at the macro.

turkey

Your hearing changes when you remove your glasses?

Wayner

mfsoa is right. By closing your eyes or taking off your glasses, you dullen one sense, but increase another. Frank always suggests listening to systems with your eyes closed to get a real good read on how things sound. Try it, you might be amazed.

Wayner

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
I think between #3 and #4 comes the listener itself. Ear wax, mood, level of sinus congestion - all that "human-side" stuff.

-Mike

Excellent point. Many people look for external factors for a sudden difference is sound. The first thing you should check is yourself.

dB Cooper

Your hearing changes when you remove your glasses?
I've heard sillier theories. Not on AC, of course...  :roll:
But seriously Wayner is right. I used to listen a lot with the only lights being the pilot lights on the equipment. Sounded better every time.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Or in a totally dark room.  I get a nearly a spiritual experience with the right music.  Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, on Telarc, for example.