Protecting AVA equipment from "dirty" house curren

EaRich

• Great music & a jiggling fishing pole = priceless!
« on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:02 am »
Hi to all of the AVA family!  

New kid on the block here.  Just yesterday, I received my brand new T7 ECR pre-amp and I'm chomping at the bit to plug it into my system!  Still, I'm holding off for a few more days while I pick up some (inexpensive) interconnects and get some info (hopefully from you guys/gals) about protecting the pre-amp from brown-outs, black-outs, spikes, surges, etc.  

Maybe this subject is better suited elsewhere in the forum but I came here because AVA is what drew me here in the first place.  (By the way, thanks to all of you who have for the past months been helping me in making my decision in choosing AVA equipment!)  I read Franks comments about building audio gear for "the real world" on his web site and newletters but I still have some concerns:  The power goes out in my apartment maybe 2 - 4 times in a 3 month period.  The outage can last for a few seconds or minutes (most of the time) to up to a couple of hours.  In a quick view of the instructions that came with the T7, I saw some mention about turning on the power amp first and the pre-amp last (or is it the other way around?  :?: ).  I'm concerned about when the power pops off for only a second and then right back on - this would cause a condition of both units being powered up at the same time.  Could I be in for some rude suprises to my pre-amp or speakers?   So far, my current system's configuration (Intergrated amp, speakers, CD changer)has had no problem (that I can hear).  But what about when I hook up the pre-amp?  I feel that I should plug the T7 into a good surge protector.  Any suggestions?  (Please don't suggest any high priced contraption - I still have an Fet Valve 350EXR and DAC to purchase  :) )Thanks in advance. Earl

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:16 am »
A good RFI/surge protector on your AC line for your audio equipment is not a bad idea.  You can get one at any computer store.  It is also a good idea to plug the power amp into a different AC circuit than the small signal equipment if possible so that the large current draws it can make cannot set up an AC line related unwanted feedback loop.

The Transcendence Seven preamps have a protection relay built in that provides a time delay turn on (about 15 seconds) and an instant disconnect, so that a power outage will not generate any significant system transients, nor will turning the preamp off first or on last.  First time up and running give it about 30 minutes to come up to complete operating temperature and voltage.

Enjoy!  Frank Van Alstine

dvb

Also Circuit protection for Amps?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:25 pm »
I have my sources and such plugged into  a Monster HTS2000, but my AVA500ex plugged in directly to the wall (the same outlet the Monster is plugged into).  I leave my digital transport and DAC powered up all the time, so I think some surge protection is important.

I just turn on the AVA amp before listening, so there is a reduced chance of encountering a power outage/surge, but I am curious if there are circuit protections built into the amps, similar to those you have described for the pre-amps.

Thanks,

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:00 pm »
You can also get a used Oneac or Powervar power conditioner for cheap on Ebay. They will do a better job of surge protection and filtering and will also isolate the equipment plugged into it from the rest of the power in your house. I bought them mainly for surge protection but it also helped the sound noticeably and cleaned up the picture on my tv, both problems I didn't even realize I had. They also make the effects of ground loops much less of a concern. The only thing I don't plug into them is my power amp.  I also have power problems living near an industrial area and just the peace of mind was worth it to me. Make sure you get high enough amp ratings to handle whatever you plan on plugging into them plus some extra size for potential upgrades and/or headroom.  These are much better quality than the ones designed for computers and are designed for labs and hospitals or anybody else needing clean power.  Enjoy your new system.

EaRich

• Great music & a jiggling fishing pole = priceless!
Just need the protection for now...
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2003, 08:53 am »
Thanks Frank, dvb, and warnerwh for your replies.  For the present, a surge protector powerstrip is in order.  For one, it needs to be mounted to the wall above the base board (the T7 will sit on a shelf 5.5 ft. high).  Also, the wall outlet is about 12 ft. away so the protector will need a long cord.  I just want to make sure that I don't get a protector that will deteriorate the sound.  After a month or two of listening to the T7 and getting a reference of sound as it is, then I'll be able to focus on improving (?) the sound with a condidtioner.  Better yet - maybe I should wait until I get the Fet Valve 350EXR and have that combo as my reference comparison sound.  Right now I'll be using the power section of a Carver CM - 2000 intergrated amp to push some sweet sounds out of a pair of B&W Nautilus 805s.  Thanks again!