2003 CES Show Report (from Father & Son Audio)

fatherandsonaudio

« on: 15 Jan 2003, 03:43 pm »
Finally got the pics on the web.  Report is not quite done yet, should be by the end of the week.  If you have a slow internet connection, be patient, there are a LOT of pics.

Enjoy!   :D

http://www.fatherandsonaudio.com/2003_CES_Report.html

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2003, 04:10 pm »
AWESOME PICs, Thanks, that's the most complete set of pics of CES I've seen.

Pink Taco!!!???  :lol:

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2003, 04:55 pm »
Kudos!  Nice report. . .

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2003, 05:25 pm »
Very cool!  Boy, I just wish someone would come up with BIGGER cables, you know, those things at the show were so SMALL! :wink: I especially liked the ones with the reflective techflex - total whiteout in the camera! Heh!  Not condusive to flash photography!

The Manley gear is some of the coolest looking, but are they giving away bum tubes with the stickers?  Seems kind of ironic to promote 'Tubes Rule" with a bunch of tubes that don't work!  Heh!  Or do they?

"Halcro/Wilson Multi-channel demo:  We were not impressed in the least. "

Wow...That's the type of comment that makes me believe that price has little to do with how good something sounds.  Call me crazy, but shouldn't hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear sound good to ANYONE?  If a person can go into a room outfitted with gear retailing for the price of a few condos the words "not impressed" should not even be thought of, don't ya think!?  Where is all that money going if they cannot blow everyone away?  What is the point of it all then?  You might as well start tossing shovels full of hundred dollar bills into the fireplace while listening to your Bose Wave Radio if $300,000 worth of gear does not sound "impressive".  Obviously the price\performance curve has already gone past leveling out and is starting take a dive!  Sheesh!

ZooDog

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2003, 05:52 pm »
Great pics.  This was very nice of you to do and it was definitely needed.  I thought the web CES coverage from the usual sources (enjoythemusic and soundstage) was kind of weak.

eric the red

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2003, 05:56 pm »
Wanna see a $110k rig in the wrong room? Check out the Dynaudio/Halco set-up in this Agon ad at www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1047761264. What was the owner thinking when he put an $85k speaker in that room :?:  :o

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2003, 09:39 pm »
Well, it's not exactly swanky, but aren't sloped ceilings supposed to be a good thing?  At least they've got some foam on the walls.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2003, 09:52 pm »
I like how all the hi-enders are starting to grapple w/ Universal players now.  I so far have noticed the MSB, the McCormack (I was told only $3k!!!), the Audio Aero Prestige.

fredgarvin

ces
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2003, 06:26 pm »
Nice job! I can't wait to hear the new Meadowlarks. The vifa xt is sure getting to be a favorite with speaker builders. Long live the pink taco. :!:

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2003, 06:43 pm »
Is it just me or are the Edge Audio NL Reference amps killer looking??   :o

Of course you can buy a small house instead of them....

jcoat007

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2003, 07:08 pm »
Great job.  Really appreciate posting all that.   :D

LordCloud

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2003, 07:28 pm »
Of course my taste is different from the next man's, but those Edge amps are the ugliest amps I've ever wanted.