626JR SDE at RMAF

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
626JR SDE at RMAF
« on: 1 Oct 2008, 06:30 pm »
I have just finished programming and packing up the 626JR SDE that will appear in the Bolder Cable/VMPS booth at RMAF.  Wayne can supply further details.

Wayne has modded the DCX2496 extensively and included a preamp with remote.  All I can say is: WOW!  The stock DCX is very good, but Wayne has taken it to an exalted level.  In my 14x31' room the 626Jr provides an ideal sound: clear, clear, natural and 3 dimensional.  Bass is solid to the low 30Hz's. Performance of this kind has been unavailable before and is truly amazing given the price point (I don't know how much the mods to the DCX cost, ask Wayne.)  Retail for the unmodded 626JR SDE is current specially priced at $1774pr including stock preprogrammed DCX.

I don't know how much better home high fidelity reproduction needs to be.  This is live sound quality, or close to it.  Hear it for yourself and post your impressions.

tbrooke

Re: 626JR SDE at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2008, 09:10 pm »

How do we contact Wayne and where is more information on the mods?

Tom

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2008, 09:22 pm »

How do we contact Wayne and where is more information on the mods?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Wayne owns BOLDER Cable Company and offers some of the absolute best wiring products and mods out there.

Many say his best work is in Power Supplies, but his talent is broad.

He has his own circle here on AC, and his web address is:

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/StoreFront

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2008, 09:29 pm »
The mods to the DCX were mostly done by my friend, Mike Galusha. He will be around during RMAF.

I was going to offer some of these mods to the DCX and actually started the mods to this unit. I quickly realized it is a LOT of labor and quite a few dollars for parts. I got behind on some other projects so I put it aside. Mike has modded his own unit and few others, so he finished the unit for me. He also went a bit beyond my original ideas.

This is what Mike did to my unit:

It has the following updates in addition to the Jan Didden/Linear Audio analog board

New input receiver/sample rate converter/clock designed by Frank Oettle in Germany. This has a 2.6ps jitter master clock that allows synchronous operation of all parts of the DCX. It also contains two on board low noise regulators.

Two low noise regulators also designed by Frank Oettle, one feeds the analog section of the DAC chips and the other the digital section of the A/D converter.

AKM AK4395 DAC chips with the digital section fed by a dedicated 5v low noise regulator.

Felix style power input filter and additional LC filtering between the power supply and the digital board.

AES/EBU digital input path (XLR/relay/ribbon cables) replaced with 75 ohm coax and 75ohm precision resistor replaces 110ohm at input transformer.

Please stop by Room 1004/1006 to take a listen to the VMPS 626JR SDE.

The amps driving them will be a pair of Bill O'Connell's Eastern Electric M156 tube mono-blocks for mids and highs. The low end will be powered by a solid state Levinson clone.

The source will be my prototype, tube output, SqueezeBox 3 Re-Box.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2008, 12:24 am »
Will any or all of these mods be available to your customers, Wayne?  It would be a shame if such sound quality could not be had--for a price!

PLMONROE

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2008, 01:34 am »
Sadly most really good components are relatively expensive. That being said, considering the deficiencies of the Behringer on one hand and its potential on the other I can't fathom why somebody  isn't jumping on the bandwagon to provide modifications to these units  I would think that anyone doing so would find themselves swamped  in business!

Paul

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2008, 01:59 am »
Paul,

There are a few folks offering mods but many people have a difficult time spending a large sum on what is a very low cost unit. I have built 5 of these inclusive of Wayne's and the average price was about $1,500 plus the cost of the original unit. Most of the cost is in materials but there is a lot of labor involved. Since the dollar is in worse shape now that it was 9-10 months ago when I built most of them the cost would undoubtedly be higher. Of course it could be done for less but one of the biggest improvements is the replacement of both the input and output analog stages. The stock ones are somewhat lacking IMO but this is the single most expensive item. Anyway, this is Brian's circle so I'm not going to tie it up with this. :)

mike

Brian Cheney

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2008, 03:06 am »
Would it be cheaper (and by how much) if the preamp section and remote were eliminated?  What are the most cost effective mods?

It would be a crime not to have a unit of this quality in reach for most audiophiles.
The sound is everything you could want from a High End piece at a midfi price.  You are to be congratulated and don't be shy about posting here.

seadogs1

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2008, 01:28 pm »
:drool: I agree with Brian C. I have a very good preamp with remote but I would definitely be interested in the modded unit without the said pre and remote. If you can do this I know many of us would thank you. Good luck Mike!!

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2008, 02:51 pm »
The replacement analog section I used is supplied by Linear Audio in the Netherlands (Jan Didden's company) and part of what it offers is the analog volume control and remote (preamp functionality). There are alternatives such as a fully passive output stage but I prefer the drive of an active stage since the crossover will be driving the amplifiers with potentially long cables, something the passive output won't do well with.

There are other things that can be eliminated but the new analog sections offer the biggest improvement albeit the most expensive one. I have given some thought to building my own active stage but at this point it's only some ideas in my head. It is possible to improve the existing I/O section but I have not experimented with this as IMO it needs a lot of attention and it's likely more cost effective to swap it out. I will give some additional thought to designing/building a new analog section that doesn't have a volume control and remote. With RMAF coming up next week it will likely be a few weeks before I have anything out of the design phase. Guess it's time to fire up SPICE and do some sims and see what it will take to build a prototype.

mike

lifewithmusic

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2008, 05:41 am »
Brian, are you saying the the 626JR with this modified DCX now rules over the 626R if it were used with the same modified DCX?

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2008, 08:58 pm »
Brian, are you saying the the 626JR with this modified DCX now rules over the 626R if it were used with the same modified DCX?

I think he was just "impressed" with the capability of the speaker at that price point ($975 + $200 for MegaWoofs)

The 626R has the advantage of having the FST tweeter and can also have any of a host of options and upgrades that would surely put it at another level above the 626jr.

I am glad to see B, exercising his creative juices in the digital domain.  He is pretty much always on the bleeding edge, but his implementation is generally a little different than most, due to the way he likes to blend drivers and make them do "what he wants".

Now he has a "new canvas".  aa

I might add that you see many post about $3000 speaker systems that do this and that, but on a whole, the 626jr SDE at well below $2000 is likely to be a significant contender to that price point and beyond.

When was the last time you heard someone say that a "stand mount" hit low 30Hz bass "solidly"???

The other exceptionally nice advantage we find from using the SDE (D-OXO) is that you don't have to "drive" that passive XO network with all that High Power to get a great sound. :thumb:

Brian Cheney

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2008, 09:48 pm »
The 626JR SDE with the stock DCX2496 currently on special at $1774pr (biamping required) will sound better IMHO than our passively x-overed analog version of the 626R, even with the FST.

The reason for this is the DCX permits EQ of the Constant Directivity treble rolloff and restores flat trebles with 180 degree dispersion full range, while at the same time taming the 2.9dB "presence peak" between 1 and 3 kHz our panel designer Dragoslav Colich built in to jazz it up a little.  Plus you can kill your room's floor-to-ceiling primary resonance mode at no extra charge.

Of course you can always have Mike Galusha mod your DCX at a later date when budget permits.  But I have visions of a factory bench full of mgalusha "clones" working 24 hr shifts without rest, food, or salaries for that matter, turning out this Audio Revolution at bargain rates.

A man can dream, can't he?

BTW George Lucas lives a few miles from here.  Think I'll look him up.

jk@home

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2008, 10:41 pm »
I played around with a stock DCX2496, biamping a pair of Magnepan MMGs. What I have read is the general consensus that since this is a "pro" unit, the input signal, whether analog or digital, should be un-attenuated, and as hot as possible, without clipping. Then one uses a 4 or 6 channel master volume control between the Behringer and the power amps. Is this how you are doing it?

A "cheap" way of doing this, that works great, is grabbing a HT receiver, and using the (SACD) mutichannel inputs, fed from the DCX, and the internal amps to drive the different speaker inputs. Also on the output adapter cables, if pin 3 is left floating instead of jumping to pin 1 (as many XLR/RCA adapters do) then the DCX will output 6db less voltage, matching consumer equipment better.

BTW, if you run the proper cable/connector (which can be DIYed) between the DCX and a PC, and download the remote control software from the Behringer site, all the setting can be viewed, and adjusted "on the fly" via the PC screen. Definitely the way to set one up.

My DCX is now on a pair of subwoofers, as an EQ unit, which it also works great for.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2008, 04:35 pm »
As Mike Galusha points out (and matching my experience) the analog inputs on both stock and modded DCX sound better than the digital input, even though their use requires an additional ADC stage.

I've considered your suggestion but the system then becomes quite complex.  Six amp channels and a six channel master volume plus a lot of wiring are necessary, and should be left to experts and very experienced audiophiles.

I applaud your efforts, however. The DCX2496 has been available for six years now, it's amazing how many configurations are possible and being explored.

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2008, 01:22 pm »
I have just recovered enough from he show to write a quick post.

The 626jr SDE were a HUGE hit. Brian, expect to be contacted by a few other manufacturers who will want to use your speakers to show off their gear.

No one could believe such clean, coherent FULL sound could come from such an inexpensive speaker. I was getting some low frequencies and dynamics in that room, that other speakers with 15" drivers just couldn't match.

When you go to a show, a lot of folks want to present their state of the art product and use too much speaker for the room. I have been guilty of this myself. For the hotel rooms at RMAF, the 626jr SDE was a perfect match.

Roger Gordon told me he thought the room was the best in show :beer:

Thank you Brian, for coming up with a world class speaker at such a low price.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2008, 01:31 pm »
Wayne,

Glad to hear things went well and that the room worked out.

Being able to compare different types of speakers in my room (single driver - no crossover, active crossover - using Mike G's modified DCX, and traditional multi-driver - with powered subs/crossover) I can clearly hear the advantages to having an active speaker system.

Active speakers + your statement digital front end must have been a treat for the people fortunate to visit your room.

George

mike53

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2008, 01:35 pm »

I think he was just "impressed" with the capability of the speaker at that price point ($975 + $200 for MegaWoofs)

The 626R has the advantage of having the FST tweeter and can also have any of a host of options and upgrades that would surely put it at another level above the 626jr.

I might add that you see many post about $3000 speaker systems that do this and that, but on a whole, the 626jr SDE at well below $2000 is likely to be a significant contender to that price point and beyond.

I recently read some, most complimentory, reviews of the 626JR at Affordable$$Audio and Enjoy the Music.com. A$$A listed a price of $998 (normally $1598). So, I contacted the dealer nearest me and discussed the options/upgrades and cost only to be told that the price for the "basic" model was just under $2,000 - not the $998, mentioned in A$$A, or the $975 you mention above. (The dealer commented that any speaker under $1k is a "junk".)

I mentioned your comment above as well as the prices quoted in the two reviews that I had read and was told that they must have been mistakes. He proceeded to try and sell me a larger more expensive speaker.

What is the price(s) of a 626JR? The options that I'm interested in are: Dehorned SRT; push-pull neodymium planar mod; the Megawoofer; SR71/BH5 damping; CDWG; LPAD controls. Do you have power recommendations to drive these speakers? Also, if you could refer me to a dealer who would be more helpful. Any information that you could forward me would be most appreciated.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.     

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2008, 02:31 pm »

I recently read some, most complimentory, reviews of the 626JR at Affordable$$Audio and Enjoy the Music.com. A$$A listed a price of $998 (normally $1598). So, I contacted the dealer nearest me and discussed the options/upgrades and cost only to be told that the price for the "basic" model was just under $2,000 - not the $998, mentioned in A$$A, or the $975 you mention above. (The dealer commented that any speaker under $1k is a "junk".)

I mentioned your comment above as well as the prices quoted in the two reviews that I had read and was told that they must have been mistakes. He proceeded to try and sell me a larger more expensive speaker.

What is the price(s) of a 626JR? The options that I'm interested in are: Dehorned SRT; push-pull neodymium planar mod; the Megawoofer; SR71/BH5 damping; CDWG; LPAD controls. Do you have power recommendations to drive these speakers? Also, if you could refer me to a dealer who would be more helpful. Any information that you could forward me would be most appreciated.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.     

Hi Mike,

Sorry about the confusion.

The 626jr is a 30th Anniversary Special that Brian decided to offer to celebrate his 30 years in the business.  It is a bargain priced high end standmount and "should" be more expensive, but B, likes to keep perfromance high and margins skinny. :lol:

The pricing for the 626jr is as follows:

Pair 626jr = $975
upgrade to Megawoofers = $200

Finishes are Lite and Dark Oak and Satin Black.

It includes all the features you listed above, including the SR71 damping.

I will PM you with more.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:39 pm »
Wayne:

Thanks for the report.  I'm flattered you found the 626Jr SDE such a good performer, and that visitors to your booth liked it that much.  I feel a lot of its performance was due to the splendid DCX mods of Mike Galusha and have mine on order.

Certainly I can't imagine any audiophile with digital sources not wanting the power and flexibility of the DCX, particularly with a speaker designed and programmed specifically for its use.

One reason the 626Jr produced such extended clean bass was the (-3dB) 71Hz notch I introduced into the EQ program to tame the otherwise untameable floor-to-ceiling room mode.  Plus I felt Mike's work added at least 5Hz to the bottom end you were hearing.

BTW I did compare the stock DCX with Mike's, using my Wadia 27iX as a source and dual Son of Ampzillas for amplification.  To get the same bass balance with the stock DCX I had to increase bass level 0.4dB, as compared to Mike's mod.  Plus extension was greater, definition better from Mike's.

AC'ers in the Denver area can hear the modded DCX and the 626Jr SDE in Wayne's demo in Littleton.