Modding the Von Schweikert VR2

WGH

Modding the Von Schweikert VR2
« on: 30 Sep 2008, 08:36 pm »
I am always looking for ways to squeeze a little more performance out of my VR2's.

So far my mods have been both affordable and have refined an already excellent speaker:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44748.msg400398#msg400398

Lately there has been positive comments about bypassing capacitors with a smaller value cap. To that end I have some .1uF Russian Teflon FT-3's on order to try out in my Cornet2.

AV123 are using a .1uF Gen2 Sonicap by-pass in their X-Series speakers so I was thinking of trying out a by-pass cap on the VR2's, but there seems to be the small problem of the entire crossover potted in plastic.

I also thought I read somewhere (I could be wrong) that Albert modded a pair of VR2's and, if true, was wondering what was done and if it was worth the cost or effort.

Suggestions regarding crossover improvements or other cost effective tweaks would be appreciated. I know bi-amping might be the most dramatic improvement, but that is a couple of years in the future.

Wayne

JackD201

Re: Modding the Von Schweikert VR2
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2008, 06:22 am »
Hi Wayne,

May I ask what areas of performance you specifically want to improve? Bi-amping VR-2s has had results I'd put in the "not worth it" category as the other pair of amps will just run the tweeters and nothing else. Adding a supertweeter module has had mind bending results though. You might want to borrow a pair of Muratas or Townshends to see if it is to your liking. Super tweeters somehow not only extend the highs and refine the sense of space but somehow tightens up perceived bass response as well. Not to mention that the effect on the extremes serves to make the midrange sound more seamlessly integrated. I've heard this effect on DB-99s,VR2s, VR4jrs, and Harbeths.

If you like the effect then maybe you'd consider a build project? There are lots of raw ribbon and P-E drivers at Madisound. Just a thought. :)

Jack

blownrx7

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2008, 12:22 pm »
Hey Wayne,
I have a pair (actually 3 but that's another story) of VR-2's also. I'd like to hear what others have to say about mods to this speaker. I did read Wayne's improvements and like his approach. He noted the potted crossover also but I wonder if there is a way to get around that. Anyone?

Hello Jack,
Thanks for the thought-provoking reply.  Now this brings a host of other questions.  What is the best way to add a supertweeter SIMPLY (not interested in biamping them, just improving them).  Do we have to add a crossover,  or are there supertweeter modules that have the crossover built in, or are you suggesting building a supertweeter module with a crossover as the most cost-effective approach?

For anyone knowledgeable on this, please consider that these are "budget" speakers, so mods that add $1000 to the cost are not a realistic approach (at least for me).  How much does a good supertweeter go for that will still bring a SIGNIFICANT improvement (read better sound, not different)...
TIA
)

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2008, 02:10 pm »
Hi Blown,

There are modules that come complete with cables, attenuators and crossovers. The Townshend Maximum Supertweeter retails for $1500 over there but the street price should be around $1,000. Murata modules are more expensive as are the Tannoys. There is a special on Tannoy ST100s on this UK site http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/ that pulls them back into the same price range of the Townshends.

Building one should cut the cost in half but the results would probably be a gamble. :)

Jack

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2008, 02:38 pm »
Hi Jack,

I was thinking of more "air" and the supertweeter is a good idea, but wondering if the same result can be achieved with a $3 cap. Both of the supertweeters you mentioned may be perfect, but they also cost more than I paid for the speakers, I would upgrade speakers first.

Once I play with the FT-3 bypass caps I may have an idea of what bypass caps do. The thing about audio is you never know what you are missing until you hear it. As an example, all the reviews about the VR2's comment on how great they image, but they image a lot better after internal braces are installed.

Ideally, VSA would send me the crossover schematics and I would build an outboard crossover using Mundorf S/O caps and other boutique parts. It would be a fun experiment.

Wayne

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2008, 12:07 pm »
Hi Wayne,

The internal brace project must have been a snap for a master craftsman such as yourself. You're creations are stunning! My wife and I were swooning over your mesquite doors.

Jack

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2008, 03:07 pm »
Thanks for the compliment Jack, I do ship worldwide.  :wink:

Yes the braces were easy to install, the hardest part was working around all the stuffing. The braces were slipped in-between the walls and the glued-on batting.

Now I am wondering what lining the inside with No Rez would do.

Wayne

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2008, 04:33 pm »

I'm not showing my wife this page!  :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2008, 08:47 pm »
While I have no advise on how to mod your particular XO's I can attest to the Russian teflons. I installed a pair of the ft-3 0.1 in my OB/7's in the mid circuit and have increased detail and separation. They seemed to have improved my bass quite a bit also. It must be that they excel in lower mid bass transparency. I am thinking about adding them to my bass circuit for kicks. Well worth much more than the price of admission. Good luck.  :green:

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:56 am »

I'm not showing my wife this page!  :lol: :lol: :lol: 

:icon_lol:

Nick77 - my teflons should be here this weekend and the Cornet2 is first on the bench. The crossover mod will be future project.

Wayne

cliffy

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:11 am »
Wayne,

VMPS has some add-on 'ambience tweeters' for $259/pr.

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/news.htm#AT

Here is a link to the Positive Feeback Online review  http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue37/vmps_ambiance_tweeter.htm

Good luck and ditto on the awsome woodworking skill :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:50 am »
Thanks Cliffy, the VR2's already have an excellent ambience tweeter built in.

A new Van Alstine Insight EC pre-amp arrived this week and it has added the clarity I have been looking for.

Wayne

Delacroix

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm »
Thanks Cliffy, the VR2's already have an excellent ambience tweeter built in.

A new Van Alstine Insight EC pre-amp arrived this week and it has added the clarity I have been looking for.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

I've love to hear more about the van Alstine amp -- I really appreciate their no-nonsense approach and customer commitment, so any reviews of their products with Von Schweikerts would be welcome in the amp topic.

Best wishes

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:50 am »
I suppose it would be okay if I plugged the inexpensive little device I make in here.  After all, the first review I got was on some modified VR2's: www.diffractionbegone.com.  Don't sell these little wonders short.  You might be very pleased with the results (and if by chance you're not- you'll pay only for the return postage).  I suspect even finer with the internal bracing under discussion.  Something a human might want to appreciate before going the super tweeter route.

Hi, Wayne.

Delacroix

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2008, 09:47 pm »
I suppose it would be okay if I plugged the inexpensive little device I make in here.  After all, the first review I got was on some modified VR2's: www.diffractionbegone.com.  Don't sell these little wonders short.  You might be very pleased with the results (and if by chance you're not- you'll pay only for the return postage).  I suspect even finer with the internal bracing under discussion.  Something a human might want to appreciate before going the super tweeter route.

Hi, Wayne.

Hi Jim

No need to plug -- we have a topic on this tweak open here in the VSA Circle asking for input ---tell us more here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59707.0

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:55 pm »
An AC member was intrigued by my review of the VR2 modifications so he ordered a set of internal braces and ambiance enhancers.

Here is what a brace kit for one speaker looks like, the wood is ash:

The full kit includes 16 braces and 8 interlocking cross pieces for $225.

Wayne