Cornet Basic Grounding Questions

GRD

« on: 14 Nov 2003, 06:23 pm »
I have a few basic grounding questions with my Cornet.  Fortunately, I don’t have any hum problems.  I’m trying to make sure I am getting the best performance.

The chassis is unpainted.  I am using aluminum standoffs for the PC board and a wire from the PC ground (the labeled ground point between the signal in/out points on the board) and the binding post (the grounding post between the RCA jacks).  The RCA’s are only connected to the PC board with a signal wire (not a seperate ground wire).  Grounding of the RCA’s is therefore via the chassis.  The AC safety ground from the IEC is connected to the chassis by one of the transformer mounting bolts.    

1.Is this the recommended grounding scheme or should I do something different (like using insulated PC board standoffs).

2.How does one isolate the RCA’s?  I’m using the RCA jacks specified in the manual.  Seems like they ground to the chassis when installed.  Is there a sonic benefit to using isolated RCA’s?

Regards,

Grant

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:28 am »
GRD, good questions.

The board is designed so that the phono RCA shields and chassis ground come from the same point.  That is, one piece of solid chassis forms a common large single point ground.  From there, a few ground wires to PCB along one side connects to ground plane.  Currents on the ground plane are arranged for minimal interference between circuits.  It really doesn't matter too much where the IEC (power cord) earth gets connected, as long as it mates to chassis somewhere and can handle many amps.  It's mostly for safety reasons.

So if you build per instructions, there should be virtually no hum.  If you want to move the RCA jacks to another part of the chassis, then it becomes appropriate to isolate the return shields.  It also helps to run coaxial wire.  These are very sensitive low level signals, and of course, maximum gain is at power line frequencies.

One thing I may not have mentioned in the manual, metal standoffs will also connect ground to chassis via the two holes near the i/o jacks.  Normally this is ok.  But with jacks moved you might get some looping.

You are fine with the way you built it.  I prefer to run a ground wire paired with each signal wire.

jh :)

GRD

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2003, 07:41 pm »
Thanks Jim.

For the benefit of other readers, I played with seperate ground wires for each RCA and just a single ground wire to the binding post.  The single ground sounded slghtly better -  a little more bass and a tad less treble, and a little bit more "air".  I compared grounding versions using a CD signal fed through Jim's iRIAA filter.  The single ground sounded most accurate.  But the differences were small.

In both cases the Cornet is dead quiet.  

GRD