anyone tried Quuxplayer?

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
anyone tried Quuxplayer?
« on: 29 Sep 2008, 04:16 pm »
It's simpler than iTunes, WMP or MediaJukebox 12. Not as simple as Foobar. I like the simplicity of Foobar.

According to the Quuxplayer site, their codec is superior and sounds better than others. Does anyone have an opinion on Quuxplayer's sound?

I'm not sure, but Quuxplayer seems to sound better than the others I mentioned. I have only 16 bit playback, though, so that is limiting the sound quality of Quuxplayer... others as well.

So, any opinions on Quuxplayer?

earplay

richidoo

Re: anyone tried Quuxplayer?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2008, 05:13 pm »

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2008, 07:02 pm »
Just installed this after reading, seems pretty good but I found one thing that puts me off and that is I can't just play a file from explorer. I can do an open with but it just opens the app and doesn't play the file. It seems that the file has to be added into the library to play. Not a huge deal but annoying.

Looking at the files is uses libraries from Un4seen Developments, who offer their own player that is "Balls-on accurate" so I'm assuming this and Quuxplayer are similar since they use the same libraries. The XMPlayer from un4seen is free.

Not sure if I'll go away from foobar but it's certainly not as barren as foobar is. :)

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2008, 02:40 am »
Tried the Un4seen Developments XMPlayer. It doesn't recognize aiff files. Didn't find a plug-in that allows them. I play aiff files almost exclusively, so....

The skins are nice, though.

earplay

mhamilton

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2008, 03:31 am »
Actually, there's a new version of QuuxPlayer (2.0.7.31) that will use the file from the "open with" command.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2008, 03:46 am »
Actually, there's a new version of QuuxPlayer (2.0.7.31) that will use the file from the "open with" command.

Now that's what I call quick support. :) I'm guessing you are Matthew Hamilton, the owner of the domain and I'm guessing the author. Welcome to Audio Circle.

I'll have to grab a new build and give it another try. Thanks for the quick update.

mhamilton

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2008, 03:53 am »
Yup, that's me -- the secret's out. Anyway, feel free to let me know if you've got ideas / requests / bug reports / etc -- I'm always looking to improve the app.

- matt

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2008, 02:38 pm »
Oh yeah, speaking of quick support, I emailed the Quuxplayer contact (don't remember who replied) a few days ago that Quuxplayer didn't recognize aiff files. The next day I had a response thanking me for the info and that I should d/l the latest version because they added support for aiff files.

earplay