Norh advice

rblnr

Norh advice
« on: 14 Nov 2003, 03:32 pm »
Am new to the Norh world and looking for advice.  Am putting together a second system in our living room which requires two smallish speakers placed fairly about 7' up on a wall, roughly 9' apart.   Was thinking about hanging Norh 4.0's -- any thoughts on this or alternatives?  

Is there enough bass to be musically satisfying?  I'm not looking to shake the room here, that happens in the basement w/my VMPS rig.

Anyone have experience hanging the 4's?

Anyone used the sub w/them?

Will be using either a Carver integrated or H/K integrated that I already have and a CD player TBD.  Budget for the CD player and speakers is roughly $1000.

Thanks all.

Marbles

Norh advice
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2003, 03:47 pm »
Get the ceramic 4.0's in a color to match the room decore.

I hung white ceramics from my ceiling in the past and very much enjoyed them.  The ceramics sound like the marble ones, but are much lighter in weight.

The 4.0's play down to 70 hz with no problem and image VERY well.

I think you made a very nice choice.

In fact I have marble 4.0's in my second HT on the main floor and VMPS in the basement as well :-)

I use a Klipsch KSW 10 as a sub for HT only with the 4.0's.  It's not great, but size was a concern and it needed to be small.  If you back off on the subs volume control some, it's not boomy.

Good luck.

rblnr

Norh advice
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2003, 03:51 pm »
Marbles,

Thanks for the reply.  Am looking at white ceramics, didn't think about the weight of marble, glad you mentioned it.

How did you hang yours?

Do you (or anyone else) have experience w/the Norh sub?  Rolling off at 70hz sounds like I might get a little frustrated.

Marbles

Norh advice
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2003, 04:06 pm »
I have two norh subs.

They are fine but not great for music and are not at all for HT.

I have upgraded the amp sections of mine and they are now in storage after using them only as stands for 3 years.

Do you want to buy them?

Really they are about the only nOrh product that I wish I hadn't bought...well they did work great as stands, so I can't complain that much  :lol:

Anyway, unless someone gives you a really great deal (like me  :wink:  ) stay away from them.

The 4.0's have surprisingly good bass, but are not full rangers.  IMO, you should get them first, then see if you really need a sub for music.  For HT you will have to have a sub.

As far as hanging them, it was in my basement, so I just sunk some "eye" screws into the ceiling studs (through the drywall) and wrapped nylon ribbon around the legs and tied the ribbons off into the eye screws.

nOrh sells leather straps to hang them with as well for like $20 per pair of speakers.

rblnr

Norh advice
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2003, 04:26 pm »
Marbles,

Thanks for the candor on the subs, and I'll probably take your advice if I go w/the Norhs and listen first before buying a sub.  Was suspicious of only an 8" driver -- this can't move much air.

Gotcha on the rigging and will probably do something similar that meets w/wife's approval.

Unfortuately may have to arrange then in a way that would make imaging a non-issue, but we'll see.

Standeman

Norh advice
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2003, 04:51 pm »
I can't agree with the previous posting regarding the nOhr subs. I have three (used for both stereo and HT)and have had no complaints except the usual about ported designs.

I had a single Velodyne and I was dissatisfied with the performance particularly the "flabby" nature of the sound (a combination of mediocre amplification and the larger speaker size I would guess). The small speaker size is less of an issue than you would think. The smaller the surface area of the speaker the faster it stops. Have more than one sub with smaller speakers and you have at least the same capacity to generate large volume levels at low frequencies. The amps in the nOhr subs are superb and also contribute significantly to the quality of sound.

I would have preferred a sealed enclosure design which would probably have necessitated 4 rather than 3 subs yo generate ;ots of sub 30Hz energy but the nOhr subs were cheap enough for the quality that this would not have been an issue with me.

My only other pieces of advice are that placement for any sub is critical, that stereo subs are better than mono subs and that if you have main speakers which have better than average bass performance you may need to consider high pass filters to get an acceptable blend.

Marbles

Norh advice
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2003, 04:58 pm »
If anyone wants my nOrh subs, they are for sale.

Piano Black in pretty good shape

BTW, Standeman, you can make your sub amps even better if you hook both filter caps up.  You have two 10K cap filters, only the positive is hooked up! So you can double your filter caps very easily by hooking them up correctly.

Mine have 60kuF per amp.

YMMV

JackStraw

Re: Norh advice
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2003, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: rblnr
Am new to the Norh world and looking for advice.  Am putting together a second system in our living room which requires two smallish speakers placed fairly about 7' up on a wall, roughly 9' apart.   Was thinking about hanging Norh 4.0's -- any thoughts on this or alternatives?

Check out the ACI Emerald Onwall.

http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Emonwall/index.htm

Also,

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3763

I have some in the architectural black. They are bottom ported, so they're designed to take some bass reinforcement from the wall. I think that the 65Hz rating is very conservative. 7' might be a little high, but you can even put these buggers on the ceiling.

Good Luck!

rblnr

Norh advice
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2003, 07:37 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback so far.  

Marbles, appreciate the pic. of your rig.

Marbles

Norh advice
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2003, 07:46 pm »
Actually, that was a pic off the norh site.

if you do a search on www.harmonicdiscord.com I think you will find a thread about hanging the 4.0's.  There were pictures of how different people did it, but I'm not sure they are still available.

Good luck.

Just to make sure...the nOrh subs are OK for music, but fall far short of what an HT sub should be IMO.  They don't go loud enough or low enough for MY purposes.  YMMV

Jason1

Norh advice
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2003, 11:15 pm »
The small speaker size is less of an issue than you would think. The smaller the surface area of the speaker the faster it stops.

This is a common misconception among audiophiles.

Here's a scientific explanation of why thats false.

Andrikos

Norh advice
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:02 am »
I would hardly call that scientific...
He assumes m is constant where it's NOT!
If you compare drivers of the SAME mass, his "equations" are fine.
But the initial question was acceleration of drivers of unequal mass.
Hence, mass is NOT a constant...

Jason1

Norh advice
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:12 pm »
It turns out that transient response of a woofer is not a function of the moving mass, as is commonly espoused (one of the most infamous audio myths).  In actuality, it is based upon the inductance of the driver.  And the greater the inductance, the slower the driver - the lower the transient response.

I dont see why thats so hard to understand? A driver with low inductance will respond quickly.

A smaller lighter woofer can produce higher frequencies, but it has no advantage in the subwoofer region if the inductance is relative.