Philips SACD 1000 modded by Stan Warren and APL FAILING for parts or repair

funkston

This player was modded by Stan Warren, and later by Alex Peychev at APL.  It was sublime, still works a little, but the known chip failure problem is happening.  :cry: An interested modder, parts scavenger, or optimistic techie, will get a bargain.  Someone with a line on a spare chip will get a wonderful player.  I will consider any offer beginning with shipping costs.   I can send you the details of each mod if you're interested.   

pbrstreetgang

Thats terrible man, sorry bout that- I would love to get ahold of some APL stuff

sjd

Funk, won't Alex do the DAC only mod for you?  If so, that thing is worth more than shipping my man...

funkston

Thanks for the condolences!  I'm not sure this thing is viable, even for a DAC only.  When the chips go, it won't read discs correctly, even the front buttons don't work right, etc.  If anybody knows differently, please let me know, I hate to think of it being a paperweight.   

sjd

Well, I could easily be wrong, but I think the DAC only bypass doesn't use the Mace or Furore?  I suggest you contact Brent at APLHiFi and see.  If I am right, my guess is for a clam or two you have a world class DAC in the shape of a paperweight...

Charles Calkins

Well, I could easily be wrong, but I think the DAC only bypass doesn't use the Mace or Furore?  I suggest you contact Brent at APLHiFi and see.  If I am right, my guess is for a clam or two you have a world class DAC in the shape of a paperweight...

sjd is right. the mace and furore chips have nothing to do with the DAC operation. When I got into squeezebox and computer based audio Alex converted mine to a DAC. However mine still plays CD's and SACD's. As a player it is very good. As a DAC it is outstanding. aa

Cheers
                                                   Charlie

funkston

well thanks guys, this is great news, I'll look into it.  What are you running your DACs into?   g.

Brown

Yes thankyou guys. I own the paper weight as well. Was thinking of sending to Ref Audio Mods. But they want $2800 for mod. Thanks again for the input

Charles Calkins

well thanks guys, this is great news, I'll look into it.  What are you running your DACs into?   g.

I'm running a squeezebox SB3 into the DAC by a digital coax cable. The SB3 has been moded by Wayne of The Bolder cable co. My preamp is an AVA T7ECR. Amps are CIA D-200's. Sounds good enough for me.

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

Charles Calkins

Yes thankyou guys. I own the paper weight as well. Was thinking of sending to Ref Audio Mods. But they want $2800 for mod. Thanks again for the input

Funk:
  I've heard mods they have done to Cd-SACD players and am very impressed with what they do. For less than 1K(I think) you can get their oppo 980 with full mods.

Cheers
                                          Charlie

Charles Calkins

Funk:
  I've heard mods they have done to Cd-SACD players and am very impressed with what they do. For less than 1K(I think) you can get their oppo 980 with full mods.

Cheers
                                          Charlie

Sorry but the above should be addressed to Brown.

sjd

Mine is not a paperweight yet, still running fine as a CDP.  Currently I am running that player with a Sophia SETBaby to Sansui SPX-9000 speakers.

randytsuch

I was just dismantling my paperweight.

I am recyclying all the blackgates that were previously installed in it, and my use the case for my next sb recase project.

I also found that it has a bunch of obsolete transistors in it, 2sk389, 74's, and 109's.

Randy

funkston

hey all, I would love suggestions as to who might add a digital in to this unit for me to use as a DAC.  Low cost and reasonable turnaround would be nice!  Due to their lack of response, I'd say APL is not interested, and I'm not that keen to send it to them again, as they took two years to get it back to me the first time.  Suggestions appreciated.  Also, what the heck kind of tool do I need for these screws, I can't even get in there to clean the thing to make sure it is the chips going--allen wrenches seem to almost fit.........   Thanks. 

rpf

Parts Connexion perhaps? Although mine is working (I haven't used it much since APL and Modwright replaced the chips), I would also like to find someone to add a digital in so that I could use it as a DAC in the future. Maybe if more than one person inquires, it would increase the chances of a modder taking this on.

Funkston, Brown, thoughts?

Rob

Charles Calkins

Alex did mine. Now it's a CD,SACd player plus a very fine DAC that I use with an SB3. It can be done but getting someone to do it may be a problem. Also using it as a DAC by passes the troublesome chips Phillips had in this player.

Cheers
                  Charlie

funkston

Rob that's a great idea to see if we can get a deal on having more that one modded.  Do you know anyone at Parts C. you can contact?  cheers.

rpf

Rob that's a great idea to see if we can get a deal on having more that one modded.  Do you know anyone at Parts C. you can contact?  cheers.

No, unfortunately not. But I have ordered parts from them and will call to see if they're interested.

Brown, anyone else, like to join with us?

el-cee

I have two of these clunkers - one modded by APL and one stock. Neither play, but I am interested in the DAC-only mod, so please, count me in.  On Charlie's advice, I sent an email to Alex for the DAC-only mod, but no response. Brent has already stated APL's indifference to the SACD 1000, but I thought contacting Alex directly would help - no such luck.

Charles Calkins

NOBODY!!! is having luck getting a response from Alex. I think he must have fallen off the face of the earth.

Cheers
                               Charlie

PS:
 For what it's worth I was very impressed with the Bryston room at the RMAF. A Bryston CD player might cost about the same as getting repairs or DAC only mods to the Phillips